Why is U2 Vinyl always out of press?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

As someone who worked at Manifest for years and knows the other stores well, I can assure you this guy is trolling all of you. I never once saw a copy of Achtung Baby OR Zooropa come in used over 10 years. (Ditto Pop, ATYCLB, and Atom Bomb.) Lunchbox had an original AB at least once, with the uncensored cover.... I think he wanted $80 for it?
    We did have plenty of copies of the 80s albums come in over time, of course. Although Rattle & Hum was rare.... Last copy that came in went for $25.

2. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I'm planning to buy the "Pop" LP, is what's being sold on Amazon the same 180g pressing as Elusive Disc offers? Amazon doesn't say 180g, so I'm not sure if the more expensive Elusive offering may be better.

3. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

As for other parts of the country, I have never seen original copies of Pop, Zooropa, Atomic Bomb or ATYCLB in the NJ/NYC area in the past 10 years. I did though, on one lucky night 5 years ago, find this in the "New Arrivals" rack at Princeton Record Exchange. My eyes about fell out of my head when I came to this because this was the last studio album I needed to complete the collection. This is the uncensored back cover copy. Someone didn't know what they were pricing. I think around this time it was selling for $60-80 online but still hard to find in the US. Not sure what it goes for now.

I even have to say that 80s U2 records have gone from about $3-5 5 years ago to about $8-15 around here, with nice condition copies around $15.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. shark shaped fin

shark shaped fin Forum Resident

I've been pretty fortunate around L.A. in my U2 vinyl hunting. I found original pressings of War and The Unforgettable Fire in nice shape in the discount rack at Rockaway Records a few months ago, and found a vinyl copy of Achtung Baby for $20 at Amoeba (the reissue from the box set; someone had just sold the vinyl and kept the rest, I guess?) Also found a copy of Passengers on LP for a fiver a couple years ago, but it's not in great shape. I had to get it anyway.

I received my copy of POP in the mail this morning via Amazon and I'm probably going to pull the trigger on ATYCLB soon. I would love a Zooropa reissue, I've been tempted by those (presumably?) vinyl bootlegs I've seen on eBay but I'm exercising patience.

5. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

Don't bother, I bought a copy of ATYCLB on Amazon for 50 beans, it was a bad copy of it. I found out later it was an unoffical release, lesson learned.

6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I am not a troll. I've been on this site years. If some of you put half the time into searching that you do whining and complaining, you'd have the records you want.

7. The Achtung Baby deluxe was going for~$75, I think, on Best Buy when they were blowing them out. I don't think it sounds all that great, tbh.

8. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Nobody was whining or complaining, merely stating their opinions.

Post-1990 U2 vinyl is scarce and expensive. I paid $50 for an original Achtung Baby about 6 years ago. It wasn't mint, but serviceable. Decent reissues are welcome to many here who don't want to buy from Discogs sellers. I don't understand why that's such a controversial statement.

mikedifr0923, walrus and MarkO like this.
  9. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Moving this question from another similar tread:

Has anyone compared these most recent releases to the original pressings? I've two different original pressings of 'Pop'; UK and US and the original pressing of 'All that you can't..'; EU. They all do sound great but I'm curious about these reissues as well.

tinnox and PDK like this.
  10. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Not surprising, it's cut from 44.1/24 bit digital files.

ElevatorSkyMovie and Paully like this.
  11. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I have U2's complete discography on original vinyl (even many of the 12" singles) and just did a comparison with the original European LP release of "All That You Can't Leave Behind" with the new reissue.

IMO, the new reissue is marginally better sounding than my near-mint original. Typical with most of U2's "remasters," the low end is a bit more tastefully goosed than the original CD/LP release. Certainly a flat, clean, solid pressing although I did hear some very faint "sweeping/wooshing" noise in the silence between Beautiful Day and Stuck In A Moment but I should qualify that I was listening at a pretty high volume. One rather ironic thing I noticed in the reissue booklet is that the Aung San Suu Kyi references in the credits have been removed.

I was going to pass on picking up "Pop" because my original LP is just such an aggressive, hotly mastered record that I doubt it can be bettered, but now I'm more curious than ever to see how it compares with my original.

GyroSE likes this.
  12. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Currently spinning the 2018 reissue
    [​IMG]

djost, Szeppelin75 and Dbstay like this.
  13. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I’m on Side 2 of ATYCLB right now and I’m really enjoying it. Sorry, no comparisons (my CD copy is long gone), but it seems a little smoother/warmer than my memory.

Dbstay likes this.
  14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It’s the same. I got mine from Amazon and it’s 180gm. It was also $26 as a preorder.

15. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Currently spinning the 2018 reissue
    [​IMG]

djost, tinnox, Dbstay and 1 other person like this.
  16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Since I can’t make any comparisons.... did the original master of “New York” always have that low end and dynamics? Sounds great.

17. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

Bought ATYCLB from Amazon Canada and it is dished as well like others hear have mentioned. Just ordered another to see if I can get a better copy. Should be here Thursday, will update.

Also ordered the reissue of Wide Awake in America LP and it is very flat and quiet. I compared the reissue to Mint Island records 1985 USA copy that I had and the reissue has a bigger fuller sound and more defined bass guitar. If you are on the fence on this one go for it. I know it only has 4 songs but they are good! :)

PDK likes this.
  18. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

New York is easily the best bass/low end showcase on this album. The vinyl remaster is significantly better in that dept than the original record. However the CD release is imo, still the best sonic choice for this song and album as a whole.

ad180 likes this.
  19. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

This is so needless ... You made your point and can let it go now, please.
    I think the vinyl from the box sounds amazing, Love ist blindness alone was worth the 80€ I paid.

20. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Ok, second copy arrived from amazon, flat and clean.
    I will listen to it this weekend

21. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

I'd like to have the Mexico concert from the PopMart tour on vinyl.
    Rose Bowl from the 360 tour would have made a nice boxset as well I guess.

azjvm05 and Ken.e. like this.
  22. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Well said - I hate Trolls trying to troll non-trolls, just because they don't agree.

PDK likes this.
  23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Not sure how "scarce" an album is when there always have been at least 10 copies for sale on Discogs?!

Expensive? Yes! Victim of price inflation? Absolutely! Scarce? Nope!

PDK likes this.
  24. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Wow just must have a serious problem with the word "scarce".
    I've never seen one of the 90s albums by U2 in any records shop - only online and as they are so expensive it makes them "rar" in a way.

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Only online"? Could this be the reason why you never see them in brick and mortar stores? :evil:

Concerning the "serious problem", I do think that it's a serious problem when people constantly mistake "scarce" or "hard to find" for "available but at inflated prices". "Rare" and "expensive" hardly have the same meaning. There are still "scarce" albums today. But you could get multiple copies of any given U2 album on vinyl at any given point in time. Availability definitely wasn't a problem.

PDK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.