How come that Greta Van Fleet got signed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark12345, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark12345

Mark12345 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

In today's age of generic formulated pop music made by dying recording industry, and the fact that 98 percent of people of my age (22) and younger are mostly occupied by smartphones and don't care about substantial music, or about anything for that matter other than five minute trends, so many rock bands had fallen into obscurity as they were ignored by the labels. Now, GVF suddenly gets a major label record deal. Other than milking out the market of people aged over 30 who still buy some records and actually developed a musical taste, I don't see they can attract younger masses, and I don't see how it would fit the industry as bands like these can't be easily manufactured, as the band is around 20 year old and their audience is 45 on average.

Btw, for those who were hoping they could bring old school rock back, they won't. Again, people my age are mostly occupied witz technology so rock music or any substantial music is dead because they simply don't give a damn. If they did care, they wouldn't be listening to today's mainstream crap, no matter how much it was forced to us by the industry.

andrewskyDE, canonlon and warewolf95 like this.
  2. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

Wow, thanks for turning me onto this band, I never knew they existed. I really like them.

3. If I want to hear Led Zeppelin, I'll play Led Zeppelin, not some pale imitation. Sorry for the threadcrap, but come on.

MikeManaic61, mace, audiotom and 31 others like this.
  4. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

I heard it was an April Fool that went too far.

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If I want to hear original I will play Willie Dixon, Jake Holmes.....ETC.

bru87tr, dmiller458, Umbari and 32 others like this.
  6. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

greta van fleet probably got enough youtube hits that the suits thought, hey, maybe we can make some money off these people.

I'm not kidding.

Man at C&A, Rhett, markshan and 5 others like this.
  7. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

well this thread was stated in a positive way...

8. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

They've been selling out two and three thousand seaters without a record of any kind. Just YouTube videos and four downloadable songs. A record exec would be guilty of professional malfeasance if he didn't try to sign an act like that. Sometimes the stars just align.

9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I don't care for either of therm
    As am I

Rob P S and warewolf95 like this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Probably because they think if anyone is going to be buying records it'll be someone who's 45 years old. :laugh:

raimiz1991inc and warewolf95 like this.
  11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Not trying to be snarky, but why did this thread tip you off to them instead of the thread with 600 responses that's been near or on the front page for nearly a year?

12. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

YAWN

13. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

With a couple of hit songs they might have a career, but not an interesting one.

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I bought a copy of their CD and play it. As for Zep... I also play their CDs along with multiple boots. I guess music tastes vary.

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, I know that this one has been beaten to death by now, but OP packed just about every crusty old man "everything sucks today" cliche in the book there. When the meme fits. . .

[​IMG]

The only reason GVF has gained traction around here is because they sound just like the old bands we grew up with. . .

16. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Good question. But I'm guessing: why not? With such little demand comes little cost to promote it. And they're sure to sell some to a certain segment of the market, bringing some kind of profit at least. The name is so watered down hipster band. It sounds like a Shawn Colvin-type female folky singer. A cross between Joanne Newsome and Fleet Foxes.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    lightbulb and warewolf95 like this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Old and busted: "Why don't major labels sign some band that REALLY ROCKS?"

The new hotness: "Why the hell did a major label sign this band that sounds like an old fart rock band? Don't they know we can't go home again?"

18. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

They seemed to do extremely well at Coachella in front of thousands of all 20-somethings two days ago.

19. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

I second your yawn. There's always a plagiarism troll on any Zep thread (not just on SHMF but everywhere). I suppose next it'll be stuff about Crowley and groupies.

20. Point taken of course, but GVF aren't imitating Willie Dixon or Jake Holmes, are they?

vitorbastos123 and seed_drill like this.
  21. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I don't think they sound like zep, the dude sounds like plant basically. They basically sound like Stone Temple Pilots crossed with the black crowes.

22. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I find GVF to be a bit of a drag. Not that I'm offended by them, but just...bored. It takes a band that wants to copy style (Zeppelin) to attract major label ears and eyes and for what, to sell records to the 30+ market trying to reclaim their childhood? i'm not buying in.

The next headline I feel like I'll read about these guys will go something like this: Gretta Van Fleet to release new album in the summer with classic rock meets pop edge, all produced by Adam Levine.

You all ready for that?

Puke.

23. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Major labels sign bands that don't sound like "generic formulated pop music" all the time. Columbia signed Lo Moon. Capitol signed the Decemberists. RCA signed Grizzly Bear. Etc. Etc. Etc.

So what's your point?

24. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

There's so many great bands that don't get the exposure these guys have got. I don't get it. Very generic IMO.

25. Come on you guys, don't you know yawning is contagious?

FWIW, back in the 80s, an acquaintance of mine wrote some songs and sent a demo off to some record companies. The songs weren't bad, but this guy's voice
    sounded exactly like Jim Morrison's. Every record company that heard his demo rejected it for the same reason: He sounded exactly like Jim Morrison.

So I guess I would echo the OP's question: How come that Greta Van Fleet got signed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.