Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

To tangentially tie back to BSOTS, why in Heaven’s name did John Jansen not use Power of Soul for Loose Ends? If he had, we’d have had a complete version of it before *ahem* someone had a chance to play around the master tape. I’d have rather had that than Hoochie Coochie Man, fun as it is. I know a number of tapes went missing but they did have this one. It might have made Reprise take another listen to it and give a grudging ok.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I know, I want us to get there soon. Who knows? We'll see.

3. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

The Dagger CD of Baggys Rebearsal uses a much better source tape for Baggys than the one used on Loose Ends. So if they use the one they used for the Dagger release on an as yet to be announced Loose ends re release I would be fine.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  4. slane

slane Forum Resident

Or as I've been wondering lately - why did Eddie Kramer not use it on War Heroes?

Along with Message To Love, Drifter's Escape and Come Down Hard On Me. There was still enough late 69-summer 1970 material left for a much more coherent album than the eventual WH. Why were those songs left for Loose Ends and Crash Landing?

andrewskyDE and Maidenpriest like this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They were trying to hold back some good tracks a future release, that is why The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice was bumped from War Heroes to Loose Ends and they added tracks like Three Little Bears and Peter Gunn/Catastrophe to War Heroes. Why was 51st Anniversary or Gloria not used on either War Heroes or Loose Ends?

SinnerSaint and Maidenpriest like this.
  6. slane

slane Forum Resident

Allegedly. But WH was Kramer's last project, so why did he not include all the good more recent stuff?

And then for Jansen to still exclude Power and Message on Loose Ends is unfathomable, leaving two gems for Alan Douglas to finally release.

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

According to Setting The Record Straight Mike Jefferey was already pressuring them for another studio release after War Heroes before it was completed. Kramer did not decide to bow out of the preparations for Loose Ends until the beginning of the process and after War Heroes was completed. My assumption is that when War Heroes was compiled, he didn't know it would he the last studio release he would work on at the time since Mike Jeffery was already pushing for another release.

Setting The Record Straight also mentions that at one time the early plan was for War Heroes to have a mix of live and studio tracks.

alchemy and SinnerSaint like this.
  8. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

re: Power of Soul and Message To Love

My guess is they wanted to have the "new" albums
    to have fresh material and not re-release songs
    from the Band Of Gypsys album.

andrewskyDE and Purple Jim like this.
  9. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

With the EH Blues there is no noticeable difference really in the mastering, (i was hoping for an improvement with the EH re-release), but the original Douglas Blues liner notes are much better in my honest opinion, so I kept my original and sold the EH one on !!

10. Maidenpriest

I honestly do not think we will ever get a re-release of War Heroes (but I said that about Rainbow Bridge ;))

11. Maidenpriest

I think there is no more to talk about BSOTS it is just poor apart from a couple of tracks, so lets talk about the good stuff :righton:

Fox67 likes this.
  12. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

BSOTS is pretty good for what is, I can't really fault it. After all it's been put together from recordings at least forty eight years old, I would not have expected anything different tbh. I've been buying Hendrix product since 1972 (when I got my first record player) and I'm still hooked.

Fox67, SinnerSaint and Maidenpriest like this.
  13. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

No problem to talk about others (good)stuff, but you should do it with threads dedicated to the topic, IMO :righton:

Pete Puma likes this.
  14. Maidenpriest

Maybe if you feel strongly about this contact the Gorts/Moderators and see how they feel etc... if not its all good we are talking Jimi right ? :righton:

15. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

That's my assumption as well. There wasn't (or it was assumed by the powers that be at the time that there wasn't) a market for alternate versions of already released songs. However I'm still surprised they didn't make an exception for 'Power' and 'Message' since those were (more or less) finished studio versions of songs only previously released as live versions.

slane likes this.
  16. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Sure it will, because I just bought a copy. And it wasn't exactly cheap.

17. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Talk about what you want, when I'm tired...I'll leave the thread, do not worry Sir. :cheers:

Maidenpriest likes this.
  18. John Harchar

Jimi set them aside since they were just released on BoG, but by the time you get to 1972-73 and you're scrounging around for anything, yeah you'd think they'd make an exception for two pretty finished tracks. I guess Jeffrey got publishing revenue one way or the other.

They sort of did the live/studio thing with Blue Suede Shoes, though to be fair you have a rehearsal and fool around session.

slane likes this.
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Looking at the track listings of War Heroes and Loose Ends, imo it's clear that Jeffery and Kramer at that stage were looking for unreleased songs or songs not yet compiled on an album rather than alternate performances of already known/released songs. Hence the rehearsal versions of Burning Desire and Hoochie Coochie Man.

20. John Harchar

It kind of worked for War Heroes, though you have 7 minutes of filler in there with Peter Gunn and Three Little Bears. Possibly one of the reasons 51st Anniversary got passed over is that it actually was released as a B-side in the US to Hey Joe, though they've said it should've been on there. Loose Ends on the other hand....well, no US release kind of said it all. Maybe Reprise would've looked at the BoG songs as better drawing cards. We'll never know.

If they ever do a reissue of those two, I was thinking last night War Heroes could get a straight reissue, or maybe tack on 51st. But for Loose Ends, put out the original mixes of all 8 songs, then add on things like Message, Power, Somewhere, Taking Care of No Business in the mixes that would have been used at the time. Heck, do they still have Jansen's original Captain Coconut mix? :hide: I know, we'll get it after Royal Albert Hall...

Maidenpriest and DTK like this.
  21. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I agree that may have been the rationale for War Heroes but "Loose Ends" by the nature of its' name and as the "final" studio album would have been the perfect place to release Power of soul and Message to Love.

slane and John Fell like this.
  22. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Not quite, STPWLSD was already out on Smash Hits, albeit in a different mix.
    EDIT Also as in post below as pointed out by "Slane" Highway Chile also on Smash Hits, that one slipped my mind..

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  23. slane

slane Forum Resident

As was Highway Chile, in essentially the same mix.

Deek57 likes this.
  24. John Harchar

In the US, Highway Chile and STPLSD weren't on Smash Hits or released as B-sides, so in some places they were previously unreleased. That was practically the whole reason they pulled STPLSD off of War Heroes to build an album around it, then it wasn't even released in the US (irony, thee name is Mike Jeffrey).

DTK likes this.
  25. slane

slane Forum Resident

Funny - out of all the tracks on the initial posthumous albums, STP is probably the least well-fitting, IMO.

Yes, I know those two tracks were unreleased in the US. I still think Power and Message would have been better choices.

alchemy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.