How come that Greta Van Fleet got signed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark12345, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

...a band that sounds like a cross between STP and the Crowes is not necessarily a bad thing you know! You could do a lot worse than that!!! Just sayin...

(Sorry - I always feel the need to stick up for the Crowes, as they are one of my all-time favorite bands.)

2. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Absolutely, although I never could stand STP i did love the crowes 2nd and 3rd albums. I love tons of bands that have LINEAGE from classic bands but Greta canned plant is pretty lame musically.

Man at C&A and CBackley like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Because they pull it off better than you buddy did. And/or the timing - slavishly imitating a legendary figure is probably a lot more salable these days because fewer young people are well-familiar with the original.

CBackley and Crimson jon like this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I heard the STP influence right away.

5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Yawn Pawl Yones, Yawn Bawnam, all of them

6. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

The singer definitely has the Plant thing down while looking like he walked straight out of an 80s teen movie. I find the music to be shallow and naive. It sounds like ordinary kids with mediocre talent. The music of the best timeless bands who started young always had a depth and maturity despite their age. Plus, there was innovation. These guys don't have any of that, just a singer who can sound exactly like Plant.

I don't see it having any longevity.

7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I never noticed that thread either. Is that a problem?

musicarus, guppy270 and bzfgt like this.
  8. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I'm suspicious of this whole thread. This seems like troll created content to me. The OP's account is, what a day old? I refuse to play the game. I did see a funny picture of Beiber hanging with GVF at Coachella. Apparently they are his new favorite band. Also I heard about them from a 20 something at work who insulted me greatly by basically saying "hey old man, this new band sounds like an old guy you might know. Do you like them?"

9. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

They may sound like LZ on the surface, but that's it - they don't have Zep's feel, and more importantly, their groove. Unless they branch out (like Zep did after their first couple albums), they'll be dead in the water.

CBackley likes this.
  10. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

You'll soon be angry with Mr. Chris Robinson if you go over to Facebook and watch his Black Crowes cover band "As The Crow Flies" rehearse. They're awful. And, sure...with a little rehearsal the band could seemingly get something together that is presentable.

Their tour starts in two days.

It's garbage and I do love that band through and through. I'm rolling with Magpie Salute again this year. Team Rich and Marc all the way.

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Flavour of the month.....

driverdrummer likes this.
  12. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

I actually listened to them yesterday. Coudnt stand more than 5 minutes. Just a band who plays songs in the key of A major, with a kid who is trying to be(awkwardly) like Robert Plant. And the lyrics are just nonsense stuff.

Rob P S and raveoned like this.
  13. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Page and Jones put in their hours as session guys and arrangers. Built up their chops by having to get it right on the first take. That was all ahead of Page joining the Yardbirds.

Plant and Bonham did their time in the midlands/north, playing working men's pubs and getting bricks thrown through the van window, which Plant has reflected on numerous times. A teenage Bonham lived in a tiny house with his young wife while he worked construction and took what gigs he was offered.

Greta Van Fleet are basically school of rock grads with mom and dad bankrolling them. There was no organic "paying of dues" with these guys. The dude playing *the* über expensive reissue Bonham kit is no accident. The whole thing - their schtick and the fact that classic rock fans are so ready to buy into it - makes me roll my eyes until they're ready to fall out of my head.

14. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I probably won't buy their CD, however my friend did buy it and loves them (FYI - we're both close to 60 years old). I see GVF as a bunch of kids that love Zep and are playing music they love. I'm assuming they're having a great time, seeing the world, meeting babes and maybe (MAYBE) making a few bucks. Good for them!

15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Sounds like you're wanting to make it one.

16. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Forum members: "I hate all new music because it's stupid, digital electronic crap. Bring back the old sound!"

*Band comes around bringing back an old sound*

Forum members: "This band is redundant and stupid. I don't like it."
    :wtf:

17. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

We’re on the second page already and we haven’t solved this question yet? What the hell?!

18. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Zeppelin took blues songs and amplified them and made them their own. Greta Van Fleet is just Zeppelin derivative without really adding anything of their own. I’m not putting them down, they’re very young and are showing their influences. I wish them luck, but if they’re gonna last they need to eventually find an identity all their own.
    That being said, at least there’s focus on a band that’s actually rock. Not what’s being passed off as rock like Imagine Dragons, Kings Of Leon etc.

19. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

...or Beatle-jacked? Because personally, I heard more Beatles than LZ in GVF. But I get the impression Beatle-people don't listen to much new music, so maybe we're safe?

20. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Almost every newer band I like falls into this category but they are actually good. Of course this is my opinion.
    I really love Orchid, I know people that think they suck, it's like Ian Gillan singing the first 6 sabbath albums is what i get from them. I think it's brilliant.

Brendan K likes this.
  21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I think he sounds more like Lenny Wolf. ;)

Farmer Mike likes this.
  22. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I wonder if OP is still angry that the Black Crowes got signed.

23. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

They wear their influences on their collective sleeves, without apology. I like that, and it helps that I like their music.

They are filling theatres without a record, and they piss off wannabe critics like folks in this thread.

I can see why they got signed, and wish them luck!

24. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I get that these kind of threads end up as "calling out" the supposed contradictions of the forum membership or something. But I think it's pretty cut and dry - a percentage of posters aren't even all that interested in holding up classic rock as the be all, end all, and see GVF as a flash in the pan clogging up the channels for something that's actually *new.* Then you have the percentage of posters who adore classic rock, and are glad that GVF have been given the opportunity to reheat it like a sodium-loaded TV dinner.

25. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Because ROCK IS DEAD, and all that's left to sign is various reanimated, Pet Sematary-esque iterations...might fool teh yoot, and a section of the truly desperate middle-aged...but anyone who ever knew, loved and felt the real thing knows just how horribly twisted and downright wrong GVF is.

IMO.

DHamilton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.