The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Probably a bad time to bring up the Road trips bonus discs, which are amongst the best officially released material.

Grateful Dead Bonus Discs

2. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

In one of those quirky situations where Amazon sorts things in confusing ways, I found a listing for the Wall of Sound RT set a couple months ago for 10 bucks... and it wasn't entirely clear but offered some small hope that the bonus disc was included. Sadly, it was not. The main set was still way more than a steal at that price, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bummed when I opened the package.

Elsewhere, a copy of the 2011 RT bonus disc popped up yesterday for a buck but has already far surpassed what I could ever conceive of paying for a single disc of anything. So tantalizing, though: fall '73 "China>Rider," "Dark Star>Eyes," and "Greatest Story Ever Told"? WANT.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. track11

track11 Forum Resident

Oooh, nice link, thanks!

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Proclamation of the Day:

As is well known and agreed upon herewith, the longest known continuous jam in the History of the Grateful Dead found on discs 2 & 3 of Dick’s Picks 16 from 11/8/69 is even greater than it's gaudy yet often overlooked reputation. Sure there are a few softer gathering spots during it’s 95 minute duration but there are also peaks equal to or beyond anything the boys ever attained.

Check out where Caution is/gets to from 9 to 12 minutes or how about the short post-spilled jam in St. Stephen. Before that towards the end of TOO (famously sandwiched with the Dark Star along with the stunning UJB Jam), things almost go off the rails but the boys simply blast air/sound out of those speakers creating energy simply unknown to probably any other band of that time outside of maybe Cream (already deceased) or The Who. Plus the Dead has Jerry & Phil and those other 2 bands didn’t. Plus the Dead then played on this level on and off for another 10 years.

All praise the GOGD

And to think I almost switched off this first thing this AM. I’ve got the 3:10 Main Ten after I finish the last 3-4 minutes of the front end 17:29 of Caution followed by the last 9 minutes of Caution>Feedback>We Bid You Goodnight for part of my ride home tonight to finish off the onslaught.

Peace and Blessings

5. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

6. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

1978-04-16
    Huntington Civic Center, Huntington, WV

Seamons Matrix

Digging this opening "Jack Straw" - it's by no means slow, but it feels mellow.

7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It’s been too long since I visited 11.8.69.

I will fix that tonight.

8. Scopitone

Is it all one long jam, from DS thru Lovelight?

ETA: Oh, Lovelight is from Nov 7. It's a filler.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  9. Dahabenzapple

Lovelight is an add on from the previous night of 11/7/69

10. Scopitone

I realized that and fixed my post. Too slowly, it seems. :laugh:

Also, I noticed I already had a playlist built for this set and have listened to it before.

The wheel is turning and you can't slow down. . .

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I like that show. Epic jam.
    Was that the night when Garcia dosed a bit to much, got really scared that people were going to murder him and then played like his life depended on it ?

I'm pretty sure that is was a '69 show he was talking about in one those video interviews I've seen somewhere

12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

There was a show in June '69 at the Fillmore West where Jerry sat out one set. Phil was dosed to the gills that night. Perhaps it's two different episodes, although I cannot imagine how all that Vitamin A wound up backstage at Dead shows. :shh:

13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Here's the clip where Jerry talks about the acid

14. Scopitone

4/16/78 set one has been delicious. The whole thing has this laid back, mellow groove. And Jerry's solos have been superb, especially on "Peggy-O".

I love the sound he's getting for FOTM, to close out the set.

15. Dahabenzapple

Couldn’t wait til later so I rewound a bit to hear the build section of Caution once again. The portion from 8:58 through 11:28
    when the riff subsided into the start of another Pig rave up is hereby forthwith is now to be known as the best 2:30 of Grateful Dead music ever played and put on tape.

Blood and Guts, baby

16. Dahabenzapple

Should have been the centerpiece of the April 78 box they didn’t release last month:(

nfmboss666, US Blues, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  17. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That's always been one of my favorites. Back when I was strictly into the Pigpen era, the chord solo thing Garcia does near the end basically sold me that later period GD might have something to offer after all.

18. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

19. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

FROM THE BASEMENT: DAVID LEMIEUX ON DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 26

In the last few minutes of this video, Dave hints at a possible announcement before July.

Also, Dave says that some of the versions of GD songs on the 11-17-71 dave's 26 are in fact DEFINITIVE versions.

So... we got that going for us.

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Nice. Haven't heard that one, but listened to 12/5/81 Indianapolis a while back and it was a very good show, much better than the Boulder DaP 20 release from that tour although not as snazzy a setlist.

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Probably Indianapolis 12/5/81, but '81 was a great year for The Wheel in general. 8/28/81 Long Beach is a personal favorite.

Billy_Sunday and budwhite like this.
  22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Highly doubtful in fact, though (as opposed to advertising hyperbole) :D

23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I've only seen one show there (Phish in '96) but the sound was decidedly boomy and not good. However, I imagine that if anything sound system could work well in that place, it would have been the Wall of Sound.

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. US Blues

Dave blew it bigly by not giving us the 40th Anniversary box set. Better than Cornell. Sad.

25. US Blues

Red or Green? Of course the ABQ show is hot, this is the chili capital of the world. The Land of Enchantment. Etc.

Pre-July announcement: I wonder if we're going to get the multi mix of 18 July 1976?