‘Lost In Space’ series reboot in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Better than Jackie (obscure reference).

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My family has watched the first 4 episodes together and enjoyed each one! We all love Penny - side note, the three Pennys have been one of the best things about all three versions of Lost in Space! This Penny owes more to the movie version then the original, but then Penny was the best thing by far in the movie version. I thought it was interesting that the first episode credits mentioned that it was based on the first episode of the television series "The Stowaway," I don't think I've ever seen a reboot of any television series refer to being based on a specific episode of the original series. You can definitely tell that this series is based on the first black and white season of the original series, before if became the Dr.Smith show in later seasons..

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

In the first episode, the original series was far more dramatic, and Dr. Smith was far more sinister.

By episodes 2-3, they settled into campy melodrama and Dr. Smith became a cartoon.

So, given this is a much darker take on the same premise, calling it based on the first episode makes sense.

BGLeduc likes this.
  4. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

"If the air was toxic, you'd be dead by now."

No! That's not how toxins work. Why not just say something like "our sensors say it's ok to breathe the air" instead of this nonsense?

5. Dr. Smith didn't become entirely campy/cartoonish until the debut of season 2 (in color!), and certainly not at all until episode 7 of season 1.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  6. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Wouldn't liquid methane fuel escape as a gas, not pour as a liquid out of a hole in the tank? Also, there's no way they could be sloshing around in liquid methane and not freeze instantly. I understand that with sci-fi there is a certain degree of suspension of disbelief, but it's not that hard to get the science right.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Deesky likes this.
  7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I think you mean "seasons," not "episodes."

8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Guy Williams was of Italian, not Latino, descent.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh please don't get me started! I take your point about the liquid methane, but the problem that immediately sprang to my mind was, how is such a tiny tanker going to provide enough fuel for a big-ass unaerodynamic ship (compared to a rocket) to reach escape velocity? You'd burn through that fuel in about a second, and LNG isn't particularly energy dense to begin with.

And seriously, a bunch of eels ate all the fuel from all the ships bar one?

I mentioned previously about inconsistent planetary distance measurements, one ludicrously being a trillion lightyears!

Then there was the nonsense about detecting Hawking radiation which meant there must be a black hole nearby. Hawking radiation is simply random thermal radiation that would be so weak that it would be undetectable from background levels, even with detectors millions of times more sensitive than exist. No, you'd detect the black hole by its gravitational effect on the bodies of the solar system or by emitted radiation of matter falling into it, not by Hawking radiation.

Okay, I feel better now. :)

stereoptic and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  10. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Flesh Gordon did it right. They step out of the ship, take a deep breath, and say "Good! There's air on this planet!".

11. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Just finished episode 5 and will wade through the rest but... Although, Dr. Smith is a great conniving villain :).

12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I've only watched the first episode so far and my reactions are mixed. Was it ever explained how the water could freeze so fast, apparently starting at a depth of 50 or so feet, while the Robinsons on the surface don't have any issues with their exposed skin also freezing? I'm watching The Terror at the same time, and that series handles extreme cold much more realistically.

GreggF likes this.
  13. Steve Martin

If that bothers you, stop now!

My theory at this point is that the planet is alive and is targeting the new intrusion of people with incredibly localized extreme environmental conditions. That at least explains about 3/4 of the problems they face every week. The other 1/4 are explained by hanging out near the edges of cliffs.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. DreadPikathulhu

I wondered how Will could go down an ice slide and end up in another climate, and then walk back to where his family was without appearing tired.

Deesky likes this.
  15. Deesky

Yeah, that was a real WTF moment for me. You had Will walking around what looked like an Arctic environment, then fall down a hole/tunnel and then he steps out of a frosty cliff-face cave exit to a coniferous forest environment. It was like something out of Journey to the Center of the Earth. Also they seemed not too far away from a desert environment!

You'd think that with so many diverse environments clustered in such a relatively small area you'd have an explosion of biodiversity. But no, all we see is a bunch of magic eels, a butterfly type insect, and a couple of generic gray wannabe dinosaurs, that's about it.

16. DreadPikathulhu

That’s one quick drying space ship.

Vidiot and Daryl M like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just caught the first episode tonight, and I was very surprised that I liked it as much as I did. I really had ultra-low expectations, but the acting was extremely good and a lot of the "spins" the producers did to modernize the production actually worked out pretty well. Even the robot was interesting and not the hokey mess I had braced myself to see.

And damn, that little kid playing Will Robinson can act. You rarely see ability that good in a kid this young. They're all good, far above the usual level of "TV people" these days. And the effects... whoa. I would be very surprised if Netflix spent less than $10 million on the pilot. Yuuuuuge.

I'm looking forward to the next episodes, when I have the time to binge them all.

18. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Absolutely, give me the old shows over the new crap any day. It's no wonder why the kids were so much more respectful back then.

Any Kardashian as a role model? Right...

19. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

That is what came to my mind, I thought he was inside the planet.

As for the science you have to let it go. Liquid fuel, some kind of balloon that goes out of the atmosphere, yikes, the hits keep coming.

20. Deesky

Actually, the high altitude balloon is a real thing. It didn't leave the atmosphere completely, but you don't have to in order to experience black skies and see the curvature of the planet. It's been done in real life (I think they used helium) and the occupant wore a type of spacesuit.

21. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Finished last night. I have to say that I enjoyed the series despite the tension between adult and family fare. It is somewhat frustrating. Dr. Smith is a true villain she has a very dark side and her interactions with everyone may be quite chilling for youngsters. The contrast between her and other some of the other adults pragmatism with the innocence of Will or Penny's teenage antics seems large and

The cliff hanging ender makes one want for more.

22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I'm enjoying this a lot. I'm no scientist, but I like Sci-Fi in most flavors. Does this one stretch believability? Yes, yes it does. Do I really care? No, no I do not. Why? The acting is really good, as are the visuals! I like the characters, I like the setting, I like the Robot, I like the FX, I like the music, I even like the facepalm moments.

This version of Lost In Space could really become something special if they tie down the loose science and plot holes, and keep refining the story and acting. I like the Robinsons, and Dr. Smith is dangerous. Works for me.

musicarus, rufus t firefly and GeoffC like this.
  23. Steve Martin

Who designed space helmets that flake off blinding "defogging agents" when they get dry?

robertawillisjr and Vidiot like this.
  24. Deesky

The same person that designed pressurized fuel tanks susceptible to eel attacks! :)

robertawillisjr likes this.
  25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Well when the mom said we found a planet with everything we need like air and gravity...GRAVITY! well the robot is cool. Seems geared for younger folk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.