How come that Greta Van Fleet got signed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark12345, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

And they apparently made you notice, and actually got under your skin since they obviously did not win you over. Sounds like the marketing they use from product to presentation is working on both ends of the spectrum.

In short, they made you look.

BeatleJWOL and Brendan K like this.
  2. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

To the OP: your generalization is wrong, you take your experience and talk about it as if it was a universal fact.

I saw a live performance and the audience was younger than you might think, I see some people aged less than 20 following them on social networks.
    Does that prove anything about their audience ? No, and so does your post.

And you might think labels only sign artists because they match the aesthetics required and will be big sellers if they are fed with preconceved pop songs written by the same authors feeding current pop stars.
    This is also wrong. There are plenty of non-standardized acts with audience and with young audience.

Don't generalize, your truth might not be everyone else's truth. You might even be in the minority without realizing.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  3. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Had to read the thread title a few times to make sure something wasn't missing. Bizarre concept. Don't like, don't listen.

4. Acoustic Warrior

Oh! and did I miss something? Is it now illegal to like anything, or find credibility in anything invented, or had set a time honored standard that wasn't originated in the Apple/Microsoft era????

5. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

That’s what happened with the Arctic Monkeys and they’re one of the biggest rock bands in the world.

Welcome to the age of the Internet

Chris DeVoe and Acoustic Warrior like this.
  6. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Nice first post to the forum by the OP, though I feel like I have read these ramblings before under different names. I've listen to GVF a few times, never really grabbed me, but I can see why they would be signed -- created a lot of buzz on their own, drop them into an opening slot with the right bands and some marketing support they can likely move some units.

It's a business, and GVF look like a low cost option to develop and turn a profit. I'm not sure if they're sustainable, but there are similar bands who have carved out a decent career (and again from a business perspective generate a return) going after the same audience.

lightbulb likes this.
  7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

So, basically the same thing that was said about Led Zeppelin when they got signed. At least by the press. :laugh:

If it wasn't for derivative, rock would have died a lot earlier than it did. Personally, I agree that rock (as I knew it) is basically dead, but I don't think new bands aping the old styles is "twisted and wrong." Let the kids have their fun, maybe they'll make something of it. Most of the bands I really like took about three or four years to turn into anything truly notable, I hope that can still happen. But if it doesn't, it's only entertainment.

Octowen, Purple, Zoot Marimba and 6 others like this.
  8. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Never forget some of the greatest artists ever started by playing covers !

9. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I am guilty at being over 50 and a fan of Zeppelin.

I was shopping in Grand Forks on the weekend and stumbled upon the GVF Black Smoke Rising EP (vinyl of course) and felt I had to have it. Not because I think they're a great new band, nor because they are Zep imitators. It's about the buzz surrounding the band and their sound. Granted these guys are very young and perhaps need to rely on the Zep comparison until they fine tune their own style.

They have an album of all original songs coming out soon that supposedly will be different than their current Zeppelin-esk style so I will wait until I hear that before passing judgement.

10. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I swear, every time I read “Greta Van Fleet” I think of the news anchor Greta Van Susteren... or whatever her name is...

11. Acoustic Warrior

Except for the "Fleet" part right? :crazy: What a bizarre thread. I must release myself from it's even more bizarre grip.:wave:

lightbulb likes this.
  12. lightbulb

Yes, I agree this is a bizarre thread...

Especially since you’ve chosen my personal response regarding the band, as the one post to comment on...

:laugh: :winkgrin: :p

13. Acoustic Warrior

Look again. I hit the OP first, you were as easy to hit as the joke you made. Yeah, so bizarre.

lightbulb likes this.
  14. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Hmmm.. Currently 4 threads about/related to this band that doesn't even have a full album out yet. Musically the jury is still out imo but at least someone in marketing has a clue.

Black Magic Woman and jay.dee like this.
  15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

If Zeppelin were still an ongoing concern, or had lasted longer than 11 years and eight real albums, I'd agree. These guys are a total Zep knockoff, but they're also playing to a crowd that didn't grow up with Led Zeppelin. I think they do a good job, and since I've worn out my Zep albums (and honestly grown a little bored with them, since their catalog isn't particularly expansive), I'm cool with these guys and interested to see where they go as they grow a bit and develop their own sound. It's most certainly a bit gimmicky, but it's not like any member of Led Zeppelin is still making Zep-type music, so hey, someone else might as well.

16. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

How about this for bizarre? :idea: What if GVF dumped their drummer, recruited Jason Bonham and Jimmy Page to put out a series of albums by "Zep The Next Generation". This way the Kiszka brothers collectively would be the next generation replacement of Plant.

17. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yep, kind of pointless.

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Same with the Black Crowes. Been done by the Small Faces and Humble Pie already.

dkmonroe and Opeth like this.
  19. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Ha me too. I was amazed to find out that it wasn't a solo female act when first hearing about them. I kept imagining them to be Florence and the Machine or St. Vincent.

BeatleJWOL and lightbulb like this.
  20. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

The answer should be obvious. Sure, GVF is a solid band. They have a legitimate groove going. And they damn sure rip-the-hell-off-of Led Zeppelin. And not in the same way that LZ rips off Willie Dixon. GVF has listened to LZ in a way that perhaps no other band has been willing to do. There is something genuine about what they do, and it also proves that LZ is just as magnetic as ever. Though it's not the greatest of complements, GVF actually reminds me of that fictional band from the film Almost Famous, Stillwater. A homage of sorts... All that being said, GVF is fairly fresh. But they are a band using someone else's formula. For me the question is not whether they should be signed. The questions is: Could this band have been signed at any other time since Led Zeppelin invented their act? To me, GVF's window was excruciatingly small and they made it happen, so they have that going for them. Perhaps they can do something with the opportunity. Reinvent themselves away from Led Zeppelim. That's what I would do if I were them.

lightbulb likes this.
  21. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Why were they signed? Simple; a record executive thought they would sell albums and the record company could make money off of them. That's the store with EVERY band that's ever been signed.

I personally love the band (GVF) which is funny because, while I do like Led Zeppelin to a point, at some point I find them to be a complete bore as well.

22. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Someone mentioned earlier that the OP is a new member and perhaps is trolling.

I’m always suspicious when the OP of a thread like this doesn’t participate further after one post. So far that is. Obviously a nerve has been struck for some here.

Rodant Kapoor and lightbulb like this.
  23. lightbulb

(I’m Assuming when you say “hit”, you actually meant commenting/replying to a previous post....)
    Nope.
    Quite honestly, I’m not that enthralled by this thread to pay such close attention.

Why?
    I don’t feel any threat to my personal tastes, nor opinions. I like what I like.

I realize many of these posts are just faceless, nameless comments; with various and varied intent (strongly opinionated, humorous, hit and run blasts, critical, fan worship, accusatory, highly supportive, or perhaps trolling, etc)

In other words, just another thread.

raimiz1991inc likes this.
  24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

And I think of a Fleet Prep Kit #2.

[​IMG] +[​IMG] = [​IMG]

Chris DeVoe and lightbulb like this.
  25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Why is there a picture of The Struts in your post?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.