Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, doing more testing, I find this too - audible relay click when SACD starts with DSD mode set.

Bill Mac and Isaac McHelicopter like this.
  2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Hey, at least I found new homes for the BDP-83SE and my BDP-80 :)

tmtomh likes this.
  3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Hey, now you are just trying to get the thread locked! :winkgrin:

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

That wouldn't explain their withdrawal from all product sectors! They had headphone and headphone amp/DAC products, and all of them have been phased out, not just the disc players. So, there is more to this decision than a decline in physical media sales.

I say you need to visit a CanJam to understand why. Headphones is one of the few growth sectors in the audio industry! Adding a high-quality headphone amplifier likely adds little to the BoM cost of the machine, and increases its utility.

But at what cost? And what impact would that have had on sales? What percentage of the A/V market is prepared to pay $500 for a player, never mind the $1300 of the 205, or even more for an improved version?

If it is so easy, prove it!

5. Since I got my 205 last week, I've used it exclusively as a CD/SACD play and have noticed a bit heat given off. Mine's properly ventilated so no issue there but mentioning it as I don't have it connected to any AV equipment.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The 205 has three rows of vents along the top, whereas the 105 has only two, one at either end, and the vent rows on the 205 also seem a little larger, with narrower solid parts between the vent slats. So the 205 has a good deal more open-air area on the top. So far I've noticed that my 205 gets warm but noticeably less so than my 105 after playing back several CDs/SACDs, whatever (audio discs only).

I don't know that the 205 generates any more heat than the 105. But if it does, it also seems that more heat can escape the vents than on the 105.

Bill Mac and Shawn like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've been using my 205 mostly for CD and SACD playback as well. I do have the HDMI outputs connected to a processor though. With the 205 not connected to a processor or display is the video circuitry is still active? I wonder if when using the Pure Audio mode and HDMI audio is shut off is all video processing circuitry is disabled?

8. Good question. I don't have HDMI hooked up, only analog outs to my two-channel audio-only integrated amp. But if I don't have a disc spinning, the 205's LCD screen says 'screen saver' so it's probably (?) keeping the video circuitry active. I'll need to experiment with settings, but I'll somehow need to connect a monitor - anyone know if a laptop will suffice?

9. Regarding Oppo relay clicking—it’s not a bug, it’s a feature. The relay clicks are an indicator of parts quality—even “overkill” parts quality. The muting in the Oppo units is done by relays. When you turn the unit on and off, when disc layers are changed, and when certain other operations happen, the muting relays engage so to prevent loud thumps and noises which could harm your speakers. I guess somehow the clicking sound can be tamed in the firmware, but an electrical engineer will have to explain how.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    tmtomh and formu_la like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Can you please let this whole BBK discussion go, no matter who is right or wrong. Thank you :).

superstar19, Shawn, BGLeduc and 5 others like this.
  11. Agreed! I am not the one who keeps bringing it up, though.

12. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

If the past is ANY indication, the players that now cost four times the money of the Oppo will be available for a fraction of their price in a few years.

As to headphone amps: I actively use a headphone amp, but this is one component I prefer to have as a separate unit, not as part of a multiplayer. Maybe that‘s just me, then.

As to the multiplayer market drying up: Both Cambridge Audio and Sony have introduced new models in the last year. Technics will introduce a new highend SACD player this year. (No further details known yet.) Does not exactly sound like a dried up market to me.

I have little doubt that people will want to spin silver discs for the foreseeable future and that we will be seeing new and better machines to play them on.

RubenH likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Care to provide any details of past hi-end players that were $5k and up and are now going for a fraction of the original cost? I ask as I'm very interested in buying a hi-end CD/SACD player for short money.
    Well time will tell if Cambridge Audio and Sony will be offering new universal players in the next few years. There's no guarantee that will happen. Care to post a link to the upcoming Technics SACD player?
    Again this is hopeful thinking which I hope is true. But you never did say who would be selling these new universal players that will be better than the Oppo 205. C'mon man give it up or is it all a dream in Nowhereland ;).

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. I would be surprised if Sony stopped producing SACD players entirely.

15. Postercowboy

From time to time, I actually talk to REAL people. I know, it sounds weird, and it feels really odd at first, but it is not without merits.

The info on the Technics player comes from my local highend dealer. This is an owner-run shop, not a mass market outlet, and they usually know what they are talking about. No link to share yet.

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Just one example:
    An Esoteric DV-50 DVD/SACD/CD player sells for $1200 or less today, original price was $6500.

weekendtoy and Postercowboy like this.
  17. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

A SACD player from Technics would be as big of a turnaround as Sony making a DVD-A compatible player.

jfbar167, sunspot42 and Bill Mac like this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's a 15 year old player. Postercowboy mentioned in his post "will be available for a fraction of their price in a few years" not 15 years. I'm sure the Esoteric DV-50 is a fine player but I'd prefer something a bit newer.

Esoteric DV-50 universal player
    It'll be interesting to see if Technics does release a CD/SACD player in the near future. I sent Technics an email inquiring about the CD/SACD player.

The Beave and bruce2 like this.
  19. Postercowboy

What do you mean? The Technics DVD-A 10 plays SACD. And that machine came out in 2001, so they would hardly be breaking new ground here.

20. Postercowboy

Bill Mac,
    what exactly is your point? If you have one, aside from picking on me.

21. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

???

Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player

Tullman and Bill Mac like this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not picking on you in the least. You post specific statements and my point is asking for the specifics of those statements. In all honesty if one posts a lot of opinions almost as if they are facts then one might be asked to provide specifics.
    The Technics DVD-A 10 does not play SACDs.

Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player
    Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio Player by Dwayne Carter

The Beave likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I will check - maybe it went to auto after the reboot. Do you get proper DSD on auto?

24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

If you are seriously looking then I bought a second Primare BD32 mark I for $1000 AUD (approximately $780 USD) in November last year and a mark II sold for $1600 AUD (approximately $1250 USD) about six weeks ago. The mark I is based on the Oppo 93 (not sure how old the 93 is?) and is a bit clunky in operation (for one the pause button on the remote doesn't work with the player) but offers full resolution DVD-Audio over coaxial/optical, where as the mark II is based on the 103 (4/5 years old technology) so does SACD ripping, networking and I think dac functions etc. Neither Primare is sonic nirvana but, imo, the mark I offers better sound to the Oppo 205 and I would think the mark II sounds even better. I have a 4k TV and only one set of 7.1 analogue in on my pre HDMI AVR so have opted for convenience and functionality with a "very slight" reduction in sound quality (to be honest multi channel is fun for me but my two channel system is for serious audio listening so not too bothered about this) and now have an Oppo 205 in the living room.

Bill Mac likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm interested on how the DSD "Auto" setting works. If I'm playing stereo SACDs I set the SACD Output setting is set to DSD and with multichannel SACDs the PCM setting. I listen to stereo SACDs using the XLR outputs and multichannel use HDMI with Dirac. So I couldn't use the Auto setting as it appears it would default to DSD as I'm using HDMI. The XMC-1 if it receives a DSD signal Dirac can not be used. Looking at the manual if the 205 is set to Auto and only analog outputs are used does it default to DSD? I think it would be best to just leave it on the DSD setting if only the analog outputs are being used.

From the 205 manual:

Auto
    (default) – The player checks with the device connected to the HDMI output to automatically determine which audio format (DSD or PCM) to use for SACD playback.