2018 Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I think if you played these same people snippets of various Mood Blues songs that got plenty of airplay, they'd say, "Oh yeah, I know that one!"

2. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

oops!

3. zen

zen Senior Member

IT could be the businessmen who run "classic rock commercial radio" don't like them...much like the RaRHoF didn't like them; and took forever to induct the pioneers of prog.

4. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Glad someone said it.

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Pretty sure the classic rock station I listen to in the car has Nights In White Satin, Tuesday Afternoon, I'm Just A Singer in a Rock and Roll Band, Ride My See-Saw and Stepping in a Slide Zone on their playlist. And that doesn't include "Go Now" and "Your Wildest Dreams" which don't fit their format, but are still well known.

benjis and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Not so meaningless if you're trying to book a tour for the Moody Blues - you'd have to realise they couldn't sell enough tickets to play the venues Bon Jovi can sell out.

Witchy Woman and Szeppelin75 like this.
  7. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

The current Moody Blues are not really quite the same classic band as when Mike Pinder or even Patrick Moraz were with them...and Ray Thomas of course, but they were massive for a very long time - doing a lengthy world tour over 1973-74 and selling out places like Madison Square Gardens and the Royal Albert Hall - and even today still have a loyal international audience following of some size even in their reduced trio veteran capacity despite having not made a new album in many years now and having scaled back their touring over time

- while regardless of whatever stadiums other acts might be able to fill the acclaim for the 'classic' Moodies and 'eighties' Moodies is clearly still there hence the fanbase demanded Hall of Fame induction...and their closing the induction show

Re 'one hit wonder' Moody Blues

Per Wiki

Singles;

UK - 13 chart singles
    USA 'Cashbox' - 21 chart singles
    Canada - 21 chart singles

Studio Albums;

UK - 15 chart albums - including three no.1 albums
    USA - 14 chart albums - including two no.1 albums
    Canada - 13 chart albums - including two no.1 albums

Compilation albums;

UK - 4 chart albums
    USA - 3 chart albums
    Canada - 2 albums

Live Albums;

USA - 3 chart albums

also;
    'Red Rocks' 1993 - certified Gold
    'Hall of Fame' 2000 - certified Platinum

also album tracks 'Bye Bye Bird' made no.3 in France and 'Melancholy Man' made no.1 in France as overseas single releases

EVERY group over time will not be quite as popular as in their heyday as time goes on it's inevitable and musical 'fashions' can change a lot over time - look how 'Sgt Pepper' was once universally hailed as being THE album...now people argue that other Beatle albums were better and that other albums were even more influential etc !

The Moody Blues were having hits from the early sixties to the early nineties, their successful recording and touring career bridges a fair chunk of what we see as popular music's heyday from the 'British Invasion' Beat Boom of The Beatles and other groups in the early sixties, through psychedelia the 'summer of love' on into the 'prog rock' era of the late sixties/early seventies....then again into the eighties and nineties

only a small handful of groups still going today can claim a career lasting that long - even The Rolling Stones while still packing out stadiums went for many years between studio albums as their latter albums were not selling as in their 'golden years'

Most artists sooner or later become their own nostalgia act if their careers survive long enough

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

They are missing some key original members and also they can't seem to play worth a hoot at all any more. I thought their performance was terrible, and they didn't sound like themselves at all ... but still it was great to see them play and hear what they sound like. (Saw the videos on YouTube) I love the band and their records, but I would not pay to see them in concert any more.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

no interest in the cars? who was there, who inducted them, what did they play?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

All the remaining members showed up and performed with the bassist for Weezer filling in on bass. Brandon Flowers of The Killers inducted them. The set was My Best Friends Girl, You Might Think, Just What I Needed.....and one other song I can't think of right now. From the first album though, I'm pretty sure.

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Moving In Stereo

Everything is on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cars+rock+and+roll+hallf+of+fame

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. MikeVielhaber

There were parts of their recent Days of Future Passed concert did they recently released that I felt the same way about. Particularly early on in the show. Justin, in particular, just didn't seem very into it. Maybe they needed time to warm up as I think the second half when they play the album was quite good. Though Graeme is playing less and less and you probably don't hear him much at all.

That being said, the last time they released a concert, which was in 2005 I believe, I didn't feel that way. I thought that release was great.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Was Hugh McDonald backstage?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

If Mark didn't think it worth his while to show up, why would some other celebrity think it worth his time to do an induction speech?

15. bartels76

I agree. The constant band infighting during the induction ceremonies is ridiculous. You can't suck up a night to give a speech with your former bandmates? If you don't want to perform...fine. Despite the complaints the Hall gets, the fans love that their favorite artists get this honor. At least do it for the fans and show up.
    I have to point out that Bon Jovi did it right. They all were happy and proud to be there despite the band member changes and past drama they have had. New and old band members played together and the fans loved it. Some of these old crotchety baby boomers need to mellow out.

16. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

The Bon Jovi induction is one of the best i have seen. the way the members and ex members handled it without any drama.

bartels76 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's probably about it.

Might be some residual memory of "Your Wildest Dreams" but seems like "Satin" is the only track that maintains a strong cultural presence...

Witchy Woman and Szeppelin75 like this.
  18. MikeVielhaber

I think they were just recreating the picture so only those band members are in it.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  19. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Some opinions from having seen some of the Bon Jovi stuff.

I actually think Jon did a pretty good job of recognizing everyone else's importance while still trying (too hard) to hammer home that he's been the center of the Bon Jovi universe since day one. But still when push came to shove he couldn't contain his deep seeded need to be Bruce Springsteen and take it all a touch too seriously. I mean, when you're practicing your speech and it gets into the second hour, it might be time to trim it down a bit. It really didn't need to be a run through of every year and album as told by the quarterback.

At first this style of speech did a good job because it was a way of honoring his earliest influences (the nod to the guy who taught him guitar was nicely done) and acknowledging former members Alec and Richie. And let's face it they're really being honored for 1986 - 1989. Even as a one time fan and long time admirer of the talent and effort, it's really only Slippery When Wet and New Jersey that matter to me.

At that point in the speech it just became apologetic sounding to continue to take people on a run through the rest of the career; as in "there's more to us than those 3 hits and our big hair". Jon even made a crack about hair stylists. But to me you've made it to the mountaintop and tasted rarified air that only a relative handful of bands have ever experienced. You're not going to win over anybody now so why make apologies or feel like you have to justify anything?

Again for me being born in 1971 it was really Slippery and New Jersey that mattered and as such it was always a band to me. I haven't bought a Bon Jovi album in decades but take Richie out of the equation and it loses a lot visually, vocally and musically. So the "I'm Jon and I started the band from nothing and on and on and on" may be entirely true but it wasn't what won me over when I was 15.

And looking at a live clip from earlier this month it's just strange to see two guitar players behind Jon that I don't recognize and a bass player that looks like he's going to ask me if I finished my homework. Also from that live clip and others including this ceremony Jon's voice is an unfortunate shambles.

But they did the ceremony right by having 100% band attendance and being adults about it. I did see a red carpet interview where Richie seemed to be in his usual drunken mode where he's singing and only vaguely able to string a coherent thought together. That dude needs to get it together. At least twice during this weekend he tried to make the basic point that music brings people together and reveals the similarities in everyone but stumbled over his words in a ham fisted manner.

Also, no Wanted Dead or Alive???? Livin' On a Prayer is the only Bon Jovi song that may be more definitive than Wanted Dead or Alive!

20. bartels76

Jon doesn't still smoke does he? He took up smoking after a movie part he had in the mid-90's. I agree his voice was rough.

Also, I thought Richie is sober now??

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:rolleyes:

The post to which I responded claimed that the Moodies were a bigger draw than Bon Jovi. I responded to that.

It was about which band is more popular in 2018. Calling that a 'silly argument' is... a silly argument...

22. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

As someone who was at the show, I also was hoping that they would play Dead or Alive. In fact, when they brought the double neck out to Richie for the third song, I thought for sure that's what they were going to play and then they launch into a song from their last album? Definitely an odd choice - I question, of the people who were there, who even knew what song they were playing. I didn't. Other than that, the song choices were fine.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  23. bartels76

I get what you are saying.

Moody Blues is one of those bands that has an age cut off. I am 41 years old. All I remember is Wildest Dreams and of course Nights In White Satin which was considered an oldie at that point growing up. No one I know in my age bracket owned any Moody Blues music. It's "Dad music" that never got passed onto generations like an Aerosmith, Van Morrison, Led Zeppelin, etc.

Of course they were successful for their time and there are still people out there that like them but they aren't a draw like Bon Jovi is currently.

Stormrider77 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I just watched the clips. Looked like a great show. I thought the Cars sounded pretty good.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

I don't understand why anyone turns up. It's irrelevant, pointless and very silly. Quite why it's necessary to have some bonkers concept of a hall of fame is beyond me. An utter pile of horsesh!te

somnar and blueslover99 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.