Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I'm not sure but I would guess that the deluxe issues (with the videos, books, etc.) are what really sell from this reissue effort and make the thing worthwhile for the record company. Again, a guess, that the simple, remastered CDs are very secondary. For many of us though, the books, videos and packaging, are what make these sets worthwhile.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

^^^^ THIS!!! I so agree with what you have so eloquently stated. I just wish he would have done the Cold Cuts type of album he started 30 + years ago...but it just seems like the whole archive thing has been contrived to make more $$$$ It's sad in a way because I really have not heard any sort of improvement with the CD I have and the others I have listened to from a friend that is also a Macca collector.

vitorbastos123 and Darrin L. like this.
  3. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Exactly! Unfortunately, the obvious seems to elude poor old Macca's thought processing.

4. Well, he might have done Never Mind the Bollocks. No one is quite sure.

CLASSIC TRACKS: The Sex Pistols 'Anarchy In The UK' |

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Saul Pimon likes this.
  5. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It's easy to put a negative spin on a narrative if you don't like the album. I've heard similar criticisms about losing the plot and jumping on the bandwagon applied to the collaborations with Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, and Elvis Costello featured on previous Archive releases.

I'm sure the team that promoted Flowers in the Dirt as "one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the eighties" can come up with a positive narrative for Back to the Egg.

6. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

How about one of the best Wings albums of 1979?

7. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I love BTTE, but I know there's some sentimentality attached, since I remember buying it in real time. The album did go platinum, but it's major problem was that it didn't have the big hit single, like the previous five albums, although I did like "Arrow Through Me" as a single. Had "Goodnight Tonight" been on the album, it would have had a different fate.

8. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Same here. I spent my hard earned paper round money on it as a schoolboy, and as a consequence, I certainly put the time in listening to it over and over again and grew to love it. Played it yesterday and my love for it is undiminished.

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Definitely. ... Right behind these other classic LPs from 1979: ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  10. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

It's not about whether it's my favourite or not. It's about what McCartney's motivation might be for releasing it. It's too easy to come on a forum with a personal agenda (such as "I want such and such releasing") and then building an argument to justify the case. The issue is trying to understand what the drivers are behind the decisions that are made so that one can, at least, understand the logic behind those decisions. All I'm trying to point out is that I can see why MPL might be reluctant to issue grandiose releases of albums such as Egg. That's all really. And in doing so, I'm just pointing out that I don't think that many of the suggested narratives put forward by way of justification hold much water outside of this little gathering of Maccanerds.

I disagree: Ram did have a narrative. It was the story of the formation of Wings. I agree that no album needs a narrative to be re-released but that's clearly what MPL has done with EVERY Archive Collection release so far, so it's fair to assume that it forms a key part of the release package and, by extension, I think its fair to conclude that those albums without a clear and interesting story to tell are going to struggle to gain traction as far as MPL are concerned.

Of course, me too. I'd love a box set for EVERY release, no matter how much I like or dislike each album. Whether I'll re-evaluate it or not is another matter. Nothing released so far has caused me to like (or dislike) it more but I've still thoroughly loved buying and listening to them. And reading the stories :)

11. Paul H

:) I don't think I'm going "that far". I think there's a world of difference (in marketing terms) between promoting a record that features a worldwide hit collaboration with one of the world's most successful pop stars (Michael Jackson or Stevie Wonder) and a record that featured two obscure album tracks recorded by a collection of long-forgotten rock stars. Rockpile anyone?

gottafeelin and supermd like this.
  12. Paul H

Because many of us don't agree with you. I love the videos, books and ephemera. More vanilla reissues don't interest me at all. I don't understand why this has to be so... self-interested??? :)

13. Paul H

Again, it's not about liking the album. Those examples you quote can have a positive spin because those collaborations were hits. There's very little positive to say about Egg - it had no hits and no big collaborations with stars that are still remembered.

14. Paul H

Really? A company "contriving" to make money rather than just giving its goods away? How awful. Perhaps we ought to do away with capitalism and just put the means of wealth creation in the hands of the proletariat :)

Seriously, we all know that McCartney left EMI because he was frustrated that they weren't maximising the potential value of his solo catalogue. So he went to a company that would help him do that. No surprise, therefore, that the product that came from that partnership has been intended to make money.

The same is, not surprisingly, happening now he's at Capitol.

Mr. Explorer and Oyster Boy like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

16. Paul H

I knew you'd be the contrarian :)

17. Arnold Grove

Someone has to defend the little guys ... ;)

longdist01 likes this.
  18. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Back to the Egg would probably be the reissue with the most potential material to draw from. You have the album proper, the outtakes, Goodnight Tonight single + extended single, the video album including "Again and Again and Again," either audio or video from one of the UK shows, maybe his set from Kampuchea.

The thing with McCartney is that everything he has ever done is valuable to collectors and his massive fan base. In fact it could be argued that an album like Back to the Egg which is relatively obscure in his catalog is more valuable than say another reissue of Band on the Run because it is ripe for discovery (or rediscovery). It has some of his most powerful rockers and some of his most interesting ballads too. It's a very cool album. His vocals are great throughout as well. And the back story of the album is interesting too.

19. Arnold Grove

Unfortunately, his massive fan base, which attends his concerts, does NOT buy Archive sets. These sets have sold in the tens of thousands only.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  20. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Really? Was there a narrative for Venus And Mars, beyond "we're in New Orleans" or am I being dense?

And if "we're in New Orleans" is enough of a narrative, I don't think there would be any problem coming up for a narrative for BTTE or others.

What was the narrative for Speed Of Sound?

21. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Which is actually pretty good these days!

If they planned for a 'limited release' or something it would sell.

There is no point in looking for a big smash hit release on a reissue of a 39 year old album anyway at this point.

I'm sure a new reissue of Let it Be with various mixes and the movie plus bonus material would sell much better. But probably not that much better.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. Paul H

I think we overestimate the interest in the minutiae of these releases. Even ignoring the fans who attend his concerts to see the Beatle Hits, I think the vast majority of fans of his solo work aren't especially interested in out-takes and the like. That's not a slight on McCartney - I think the vast majority of music fans period aren't interested in this stuff. That's why I think that the arguments for releasing back catalogue items that are based around the wealth of available bonus material are missing the point. I think MPL feels that it stands more chance of getting someone to buy, say, Pipes of Peace because it has that great song he did with Michael Jackson than it has of getting someone to buy, say, Wild Life (I'm trying not to pick on Back to the Egg!) because it has some really interesting live performances from early in Wings' career added as a bonus.

vitorbastos123 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  23. Paul H

I took the narrative of both releases to be This Is A Band On Top Of It's Game Making Records That Would Dominate The Charts Thus Confirming That McCartney Had Achieved His Goal Of Reinventing Himself After The Beatles. And, By The Way, Aren't These Albums Better Than You Thought They'd Be? YMMV :)

Perhaps, in the end, its nothing more than "recording in New Orleans" is more glamorous than "recording in an obscure castle in England" :)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That's a fair point, but... What was the selling point of McCartney II? How many general populace [GP] people want to shell out for all that material based on one hit single [Coming Up]?

At least with Wild Life you [theoretically] get "Hi Hi Hi"/"C Moon", along with the minor hits "Give Ireland Back To The Irish", "Mary Had A Little Lamb"/"Little Woman Love". Wings Greatest could [I said could, no guarantees] help whet peoples appetites for some of those early singles.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

So, are you saying RAM counts as Wings? Another win for "Another Day" and "Uncle Albert" on Wings Greatest! ;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.