Stereo for my daughter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rpd, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arem

arem Forum Resident

I'd get something that doesn't require her to mess around with removing the platter or futzing with the belt to change speeds. The AT-120 seems like a perfect entry-level table, sounds very good for the price, well built, and user friendly.

head_unit, McLover and Wally Swift like this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

"Well built" :shake:

3. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

I haven’t “heard” it. But an amp that you “hear” is a DISTORTING component.

Do you want to read an opinion from who hasn’t “heard” it, but has something to tell you?
    Still do you want to read an opinion from who hasn’t “heard” it, but has something to tell you?
    Why “bookshelf” only?

4. bean_counter

bean_counter Well-Known Member

If you could stretch to $1k for speakers + amp, the ELAC 2.0 system is shockingly good for the money. Just heard it at AXPONA. Not sure the integrated amp has a phono section, tho.

5. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

[​IMG]
    Klipsch ‘The Sixes’. $700 but you don’t need an amp.

apesfan and clhboa like this.
  6. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

How big is daughter's room? If small - do yourself and her a favor and stay away from rear-ported speakers, even if good and cheap at the same time.

Wharfedale 225's are bottom-ported, Cambridge Audio Aeromax 2 are front-ported. Prices are within budget, if you look.

7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I see no speakers, amp, etc. IMO this is a turntable. A "record player" is a self-contained unit.

8. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

The v2 lost the USB input(vs the original version), but gained the phono pre, which she needs. Do you guys think the loss of the USB is a big deal for how I am describing her needs?

My guess is she will play records and music from her phone or MacBook.

9. rpd

Perhaps I should have said has anyone “used” it. I think maybe understood what I was asking..

10. rpd

No idea. She’s graduating in a few weeks. I assume she’ll have a typical first job type shared apartment of small house...

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  11. arem

arem Forum Resident

It's not bulletproof or audiophile quality but for under $300 it's well built enough that a casual listener should get many years of use out of it. IMO it's a better choice for a novice than a Planar 1 just because it's so easy to use.

12. rpd

My guess is she would play LP’s only, no 45’s...

13. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Whats hard to use about a Planar 1? In fact it should be easier with a P1. No complicated setup with balancing tonearms and setting dials. Just put the counterweight on and its good to go.

And if changing slots for the belt is too complicated then I think we have other problems here.

KT88 likes this.
  14. rpd

Bingo!

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I'd say the optical would work fine, plus I think that would be more convenient for her given it is using the MacBook headphone jack, but I noticed that optical output is being dropped by some newer MacBooks so you might want to look into that first. Maybe if she uses bluetooth as a matter of course it isn't an issue, but it does seem to potentially limit the use of it in that your not using it's dac if going that route.

16. arem

arem Forum Resident

I agree that moving the belt isn't hard, but I think a novice would be more comfortable just pushing a button. And the Planar is a fair amount more money. Doesn't sound like it will be an issue either way, I hope she appreciates her new system.

17. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

18. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Why guess? Find out what she wants, so your investment doesn't end up as a dust-catcher.

snowman872 and Helom like this.
  19. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

As said above, if your daughter's MacBook is one that has an analog/digital combo output then that is an alternative. Another idea is to buy a first generation Airport Express, connect it digitally to the NAD optical input, and use AirPlay to wirelessly send music from iTunes on the MacBook or iPhone/iPad. Should work well and no need to tether the laptop.

If you can't find an old AE, this device claims the same functionality:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mini-Wir...ck-For-Windows-PC-Mac-iphone-Android/50852752

bmoregnr likes this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Do you have to get those from a white van...?

21. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I was going to recommend them as well, but price is out of range.

22. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Maybe go Vintage?

[​IMG]

Aux. Inputs can be used.
    Or, if cables aren't her thing you could get an NAD Pre like a 1600 and have a tech burn Bluetooth Capability into it?

Should not be too difficult. I know there are simple burn in mods for the Yamahas out there.

23. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

Well, what I’ve understood, if I neither “haven’t heard it” nor “haven’t used it”, my opinion is nothing for you.

And an important (in my opinion) consideration that an amp that you “hear” is a DISTORTING component, is nothing for you.

And more, the question I put in my post is not worth answering for you.

Good luck.

24. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Wicked!

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  25. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

I would go with something on the smaller side, as she is likely to be moving a few times over the next couple of years. Powered speakers and a compatible turntable sound like a great solution. If the speakers can also connect to Bluetooth she can stream from her favorite source as well via her phone - which will be really nice as it’ll take a while to build out a vinyl collection.

Sounds like a great graduation present!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.