Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Roger insisted that it be done, but they had technical problems with the pig on Day 1, and could not control the weather for Days 2 and 3, so the dramatic sky comes from Day 1 and the pig comes from Day 3.

2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Carlson: Do I hear dogs barking on that thing?

Johnny: I do

3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I'm just glad the guy on standby with the rifle didn't have to shoot the pig.

makedatmusic and hi_watt like this.
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Working on the 10 second of so response in the interview..... it suggested to me that this isn't a box set, but is a release more like Endless River or even Waters own Amused to Death. In other words a new CD and a second disc with surround.

5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Live plus outtakes - buy.
    Remix/5.1 only - unlikely for me.

makedatmusic, andrewskyDE and hi_watt like this.
  6. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Pigs will fly before we see this SACD.
    Oh wait....they already have. I guess its coming out soon so.

makedatmusic likes this.
  7. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Raving and drooling I fell on this set with a scream.

I suppose the Wall is next?

jlf, Frozensoda, DonnyMe and 2 others like this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why would a new stereo mix be “likely”?

Given the Meddle, Obscured By Clouds & Pompeii stereo remixes - but no others, particularly the post-‘72 albums bookending Animals, I’d say “possible”, at best.

makedatmusic likes this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I wouldn’t wager much.

makedatmusic likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

generally to create a 5.1 they mix the stereo first to get close to the original ... often times they drop anew stereo from that

PDK and makedatmusic like this.
  11. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Honestly, I think the marbles keep the box sets from being widely counterfeited.

12. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

It sounds as if Roger has control over Animals just like he does with The Wall. Does anyone know if that's the case?

makedatmusic likes this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m the exact opposite.

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I believe Nick? and Roger have been talking about doing a new stereo mix for some time.

rontoon, Shaddam IV and makedatmusic like this.
  15. makedatmusic

makedatmusic Forum Resident

What gave you that impression?

ADDENDUM: This has already been addressed in the Doobie Brothers Quadio thread.
    (AKA: no cause for alarm. It's still supposed to be coming!)

:)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    mark winstanley likes this.
  16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Here’s a thing called Pigs On The Wing. What does that sound like?

I don’t do requests

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Killed me to have that bit edited out. I sold my WKRP set. I could have lived without the Les Nessman Cold Blooded bit but the Floyd gag? No thank you.

Carlson: Keep up the good work

Johnny: Givin it the best I got

anth67 and Myke like this.
  18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

The
    Some of the original multi's for The Wall are apparently in really bad shape, that's why it hasn't been released since the project started so many years ago. I wouldn't hold my breath for this one.

19. rontoon

It's just my educated guess but if you want to split hairs go right ahead. :shtiphat:
    Roger does not have total control over Animals but he does have a say in how it's released. And I think that it's evident from his recent tour that he is more passionate about this album than the others. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Guthrie are working together on this as a follow up to his work on ATD.

I still have the original on VHS that I recorded off the air and digitally transferred this sequence a while back. This is from the Thanksgiving episode so it was easy to figure out when this rerun was going to air.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  20. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I first heard most of what became Animals in 1974 when I saw Floyd live. Also saw them in 1977 when they did a ton of Animals and WYWH.

I was lucky to have seen the lineup with David and Roger three times, and the threesome once (Pulse tour). I know the Wall tour was probably the one most fans wish they had seen (and I did see that); but the single best show for me was Oakland 77. So Animals has meaning to me beyond just the music but brings back memories.

21. rontoon

I wouldn't read too much into this. The conversation wasn't really about Animals, it was about album covers and Roger revealed this info not realizing what a bombshell this was. Given the secrecy level of all their recent releases I'll bet that PF management isn't very happy about this at the moment.

22. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Nick's book or Mark Blake's book say that the power station photo came from the original scouting trip.

I wonder what Roger's spin on the new photo will be now that it has become luxury apartments...

makedatmusic and Shaddam IV like this.
  23. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I still have a picture of that cut-out from the newspaper and hanging on my fridge.

andrewskyDE and makedatmusic like this.
  24. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I'd rather have seen the Animals tour hands down. You did well :) (Gimme a time machine, though, and I'd head for December 72 first. Maybe December '70, if I was guaranteed Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast. But Dogs and Sheep are pretty hard to beat.)

mando_dan and makedatmusic like this.
  25. rontoon

The 2 shows I saw changed my life forever.