Bands who made the same album over and over again

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I have only read the first for pages but wanted to get in quick before this thread is closed down. Artists...
    Enya
    Sade

danielbravo likes this.
  2. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

While I can definitely appreciate progression and change in some bands I think that in general people are way too obsessed with it. I can't imagine how many reviews I've read where the main gripe is that a band hasn't progressed or broken new ground with their latest album. One thing country music gets right, or used to at least, is a priority on tradition. A good song is a good song, I don't care if it isn't some breakthrough in music.

It cuts both ways as well: For one example, Primal Fear has been criticized for essentially remaking Judas Priest's "Painkiller" over and over. They've come up with a lot of cool songs in the process though. People would have you believe that all the exploration of that sound was accomplished on the ONE album Priest did in that style. It's nonsense.

It's essentially saying that music is a novelty and anything that isn't completely original and groundbreaking is "been there done that". Music, all genres, could use more tradition.

Primal Fear, Thulcandra, Caladan Brood, Gruesome, HammerFall, Airbourne... All bands adopting a different band's style and exploring their sound. All great.

3. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

4. FredV

FredV Senior Member

5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

starduster likes this.
  6. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Yup. People saying the Ramones kept making the same album either didn't listen to them or think punk all sounds the same.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Is thread is a minefield. Mention the wrong band in a disparaging way and all hell comes down on you. One that is not so loved? Yeah, “they suck or they’re so overrated”.

Many bands have put out very similar variations of the same album. Sometimes because it’d massively piss off their fan base if they didn’t. It’s not that these bands lack creativity but more because they have pidgeon holed themselves into one sound.

bob60, ianuaditis and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  8. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Correct. The Ramones did have an overall style and purpose but the same album each time - no. You have nailed a few of the most obvious changes of style and production above and while they were never going to evolve into progressive concept territory they did move into new areas that suited the furrow that they ploughed. We had pop, country, thrash, punk and a few other genres along the way and different producers gave fresh insights into the band throughout their career.

Sane Man likes this.
  9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

10. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers? Not totally - the band members changed which meant the composers did too, but after awhile it gets pretty samey. More so than, say, Horace Silver, way more so than Miles.

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Me too and I like it when a Blues artist makes a Blues record and don’t like it so much when they think they need to “branch out”.

12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Are Dire Straits and Roger Waters fair game here? Even if so, doesn't bother me. Both are great.

13. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Waters music is like a fine whine! :winkgrin:

14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

ABBA don't belong in here at all.

bob60 likes this.
  15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I wish there was a band who had made the same album over and over again. Same songs, same order, same arrangements. Now that would be interesting.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

The thread says to me that any band that lasts more than a few albums, no matter whether you like them or not, very rarely, possibly never, make the same album over and over again.

17. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Boston

jefferyuniverse likes this.
  18. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

I didn't say that I don't like his albums, I do and have I fourteen of them that I listen to on a regular basis. But, he has a formula that he tends to stick to and therefore, IMHO, fits into the theme of this thread. His style is a pretty unique Blues/R&B blend that I like very much.

Jonny W and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  19. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I agree on THE BEACH BOIZ

20. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

In their heads they were still KISS

21. manco

manco Forum Resident

AC/DC, Van Halen, Rolling Stones, all the Corporate Rock bands.

22. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Kiss?! I'm thinking you haven't listened through to their discography?

Todd W. likes this.
  23. manco

manco Forum Resident

That's only after Brian Wilson's mental breakdown prevented SMiLE from happening when it should have. I believe in an alternate universe where Brian Wilson stayed sane and functional, the next album after SMiLE would have been bigger than the "The Beatles".

24. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I disagree. Chicago albums from the late 60's to the 70's have a distinctive signature sound which is easily mistaken for making a rehash of the previous albums. Their music from one album to another are different specially with the introduction of Latin elements starting from 1974 when they added the Brazillian percussionist Laudir de Oliveira to their lineup and the increasing songwriting contribution from other members of the band.

25. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

I think a really good example is Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (not Petty solo, just with the Heartbreakers). They only really did one album ("Southern Accents") that really strayed from their trademark Byrds/Dylan -influenced sound, otherwise they pretty much stuck to their formula. A great formula it was though, Petty knew exactly what they did best and they stuck to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.