Favorite Painting of All Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gallileo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

2. DVEric

3. OZmosis

OZmosis Well-Known Member

The colors in this painting are so vivid when you see it in person....

Spadeygrove and EddieMann like this.
  4. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Funny story...
    A couple of years ago I was there and as usual standing and contemplating this wonderful painting. Two young kids were in front of me looking too and one said to the other, "Yeah! This is it, this is the one." Just as I was going to engage them in conversation the other kid says, "Your old man actually LIKES this? He's nuts!". :p

Tuco and Andy Smith like this.
  5. OZmosis

OZmosis Well-Known Member

Bahahahahaha - that's great!:biglaugh:

6. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Anyone who watched this year's Sky Arts 'Portrait Artist Of The Year 2018' will be familiar with Hetty Lawlor's work. Only 18? Cripes - this lass is really good. Certainly captured Dave Tennant. One to watch, I believe.

[​IMG]

7. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Robert Englund?!

8. DVEric

Diego Velasquez
    Portrait of a Pope Innocent X
    If you get a chance to see this painting in person, it will knock your socks off.

Just for laughs, here is a study I did a few months ago. Clearly I am no Velasquez, I’m scarcely qualified to clean his brushes . . .
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Jimmy Disco D, Tuco, EdgardV and 2 others like this.
  9. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

10. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

11. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

carrick doone likes this.
  12. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Not that all these are exactly from Fantastic Art the book by David Larkin - just that Delville's painting - but it's off the top of my head & not in any particular order:

[​IMG]
    Salvador Dali Swans Reflecting Animals, 1937

[​IMG]
    René Magritte The Empire of Light, 1950

[​IMG]
    Jean Delville Les Treasures de Satan, 1894

[​IMG]
    Ljuba Afternoon, 1972

[​IMG]
    Dado La Guerre civile, 1967

What are yours?

13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Last weekend, I saw an exhibit at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Howardena Pindell: What Remains To Be Seen. It's a retrospective of her work and is worth seeing if you get a chance. It's in Richmond until November and then goes to Waltham, MA.

Most of the works are collage instead of straight painting and at least half of the works have a strong political message. The exhibit includes a video that's a was bit gut wrenching for me. In it she describes instances of racism that she's endured, followed by examples of minimizing her experiences she's received from white feminists in the arts community.

[​IMG]

Tuco likes this.
  14. Andy Smith

I visited Pete McKee's A Month Of Sundays gallery/shop yesterday. Never been before. Fell in love with this scooter immediately. Is it high art? - Christ no! - but is it people-friendly and puts smiles on faces? Undoubtedly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Spadeygrove and Tuco like this.
  15. jimmytheshoe

jimmytheshoe Forum Resident

[​IMG] I've been fortunate enough to have seen Dali's Persistence Of Memory in person a few times over the years, still my favorite painting of all time.
    Lifelong Chicagoan, I've been blessed with the opportunity to see so many great works such as Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte and Grant's American Gothic at the Art Institute, Field Museum, and other galleries.

Tuco likes this.
  16. Andy Smith

Changed my mind - they became ridiculously expensive for the posting service they provided. I've left them. Hope you found somewhere.

17. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

I like Joan Miro.

[​IMG]

18. Andy Smith

As this is primarily a music forum, I thought some may like to see McKee's overview of certain icons.

Have to say, I LOVE the one of Elvis getting served at the fish & chip shop.
    At first I didn't twig it was the Stone Roses as I'm not used to seeing Mani without his hat.
    Dig all the penguins on the Oasis cover too.
    Nice touch having everyone's favourite Menace with a Pistols poster on his bedroom wall.

Anyone passing through through the city will find his gallery A Month Of Sundays on Sharrowvale Road. A great way to spend a LOT of money fast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also.... I found this rather lovely. Clearly not a McKee, but on display upstairs. Couldn't see any indication of who the artist was. I would have asked one of the staff, but they were all busy.

[​IMG]

george nadara likes this.
  19. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

We just got back from a trip to Belgium (Ghent, Bruges, and Brussels) and Amsterdam. We saw a lot of masterpieces. There are masterpieces and then there's "The Jewish Bride" by Rembrandt Van Rijn at The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    The macerator and Karnak like this.
  20. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

First "painting" that came to mind -

[​IMG]
    Raft of the Medusa, Théodore Géricault

The "all time" description annoys me. Despite the supposed romanticism of the work it's pretty much how I view humanity in general. I've probably lived in New York too long.

The macerator and Dave Garrett like this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

You've SEEN it in person??!

22. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

Yes. At the risk of stating the obvious. No reproduction can prepare for seeing the real thing. I instantly saw why Van Gogh was so transfixed by it. In a related, but unrelated note. At the same museum people would sit on the floor while viewing "The Night Watch"

harmonica98 likes this.
  23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I am speechless. Beyond 'lucky you'

Spadeygrove and carrick doone like this.
  24. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

There's a big Rembrandt exposition going on at the moment in the Rijksmuseum. I visited a big Rembrandt-show in this museum before and I vowed to never do that before; hundreds of people crammed into to small spaces, pushing each other along great artwork...but again I'm tempted.
    This is a little etching he made in 1630 (about 2 by 3 inches). A guy ahead of his time...
    [​IMG]

trumpet sounds and strummer101 like this.
  25. words fail. but i can't find an emoji to do that painting justice, either. and i also saw the other painting, of the sea and the blazing sunlit sky.

holy smoke, who is that guy? i've never seen anything like that.