Zerostat anti-static gun

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Craig Spiegel, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Mine may be biting the dust. There is very little resistance when I pull the trigger, there is not much sound, and when I use the tester bulb end, it only occasionally lights up. I used it religiously for the past five years, but that still doesn’t seem very likely to have used 10,000 cycles. It still works with static...I think. I am just not positive it is working with every squeeze.

2. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I have a Milty Zerostat and a Furutech DeStat. Now, because of this thread, I also have a professional Static Charge Meter coming in the mail (bought used on Ebay for $25). So I will compare, make some measurements and report back.

Gumboo, Fishoutofwater and Nielsoe like this.
  3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

LA is probably more moist.

4. Warren Jarrett

ReadyForTesting.jpg
    Ok, I am all equipped now to conduct a comparison experiment.

5. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Go, Warren, go!

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  6. Warren Jarrett

I am a former engineer, and my Dad was a scientist. So, finally I get to be technical again for a little experiment with specialized test equipment -- the Static Sensor. Amazingly, purchased used on Ebay from a test lab, it has a calibration sticker covering the sensitivity adjustments, that warns not to access them.

DangerousKitchen and Gumboo like this.
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

IIRC, a brand-new one is priced at $99. It might have been $59.99 back in the day - like 40 years ago ...

8. OneChance

OneChance Forum Resident

I don't have any lab tests to prove the Zerostat works, but it certainly does work. It just takes one use on a record and the static is gone. I've even used it on clothes.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

still have my original RED Gun and it works perfectly...I use it for Static removal...

10. coopmv

Yeah, I could experience the static from time to time when I tried to remove a record after play and the TT felt mat was stuck on the record ...

11. Warren Jarrett

I believe the reports in this thread that the Zerostat works. That is why I decided to buy the latest, a Milty. and start using it. There is just no way I could find my old red one that I haven't used for decades, as soon as I would like.

Then someone said the Furutech works even better. So, I looked on Ebay and Amazon, and found out that the previous version (the V2) is heavily discounted right now. I decided to buy one of those too... and a meter (on Ebay) to test if there is really a big difference or just a small difference.

Anyone here that LOVES one or the other, is certainly welcome to ignore the results of my test, and just continue loving what they already know works for them. I am just curious now if I can measure the difference, and I hope a few other people here will enjoy seeing my experimental results too. To benefit others here, not only myself, will justify for me, all this money I suddenly spent on LP de-static-ing.

Gumboo, DangerousKitchen and Kristofa like this.
  12. OneChance

OneChance Forum Resident

Oh don't get me wrong. I eagerly, and sincerely, await your results.

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  13. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens

I was using Milty Zerostat, but later I upgraded to Orb Sakura DeStat and now I can not imagine playing records without using DeStat, especially when listening with headphones. It's like Zerostat to the power of 10. (I think Orb was/is producing stuff for Furutech)

hi_watt and Warren Jarrett like this.
  14. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

it is utterly overpriced IMHO. get a second hand 3M industrial ionizer from ebay!

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Everytime they change the colour the price appears to at least double. Those original white ones were a few pounds. The Red one I now have seemed expensive at the time but much cheaper than the current version.

16. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Bought a used one on ebay. Lasted about a month before the trigger broke. I would buy a new one.

17. coopmv

And obviously it is now made in you-know-where ...

18. I have conducted my own scientific experiment using my existing laboratory facilities, control groups and considering only empirical data. I will publish my white paper for those interested but essentially, I take a balloon, rub it on my daughter's head to create a charge, and stick it on the wall where it stays put. We then mark how many trigger squeezes it will take to drop to the floor.

Seriously, I love this stuff and await your results warren!

19. Classicrock

The red Zerostat 3 has 'Made In England' printed under the word 'Zerostat'. Absent from the blue Zerostat 3. You pay between £45.50 and £55 now - from memory my red version was less than £30 in the mid to late 90s. The original white one I think was approx £6.50 in the 1970s.

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’m looking forward to it, Warren.

21. coopmv

So Zerostat was a British product? I have been under the impression it was American.

22. Classicrock

Most certainly British.

23. coopmv

:righton:

24. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I've been doing it wrong all along then. Clicking away, duh...

25. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I got mine back in the mid=late 70's and it was a Discwasher product. Was Discwasher a British company or did they license the zerostat from a British co.?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.