Jesus Christ Superstar

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doglover, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doglover

Doglover New Member Thread Starter

Help, please! I would like to replace my original Jesus Christ Superstar album with a new copy, and am so tired of reading reviews of which is the best. I have seen the musical and or movie half a dozen times, plus the live telecast, and I would like a new CD, remastered... I don’t care, as long as the quality is good! I loved the original cast, but I would like some opinions and recommendations from diehard and devoted followers of the rock opera, my most favorite of the Webber/Rice works. I don’t want a collector’s copy, just a good sounding soundtrack! I was in college, when I first saw JCS, know it by heart, as as I am sure many of you do, as well. If you can, please tell me which is the best in quality to order. From the reviews, this appears to be an issue. I really appreciate the help!

2. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

What's wrong with the original album? Ian Gillan has never been surpassed, IMO, as Jesus. The remastered version of this sounds just fine to my ears.

3. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I always liked the original cast album, but the versions on the Encore Collecton 2 with Sarah Brightman are great too. I don't think that "cast" album exists though.

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The following 2-CD set is the one that you want. It was reissued on VERVE around 2012 and Andrew Lloyd Webber was involved. In the very detailed booklet of this reissue, Andrew describes how this reissue almost never happened when Universal came back to the the people putting it together, basically saying that the master tapes are gone. (I'm willing to bet, dollars to donuts that they went up in smoke in that Universal fire, but we all know that will never be confirmed, as I don't believe that they have a clue what all was lost in that fire). Andrew had his people look through his own tape library and there they found a one to one copy of the original master and that is what they used for this 2012 reissue. I don't own this reissue, but I've heard it and it really does have some previously buried in the mix quality. It's not that expensive and if you dig that great old BROWN 2-LP set of J.C.S., like I do, then you really should check this one out, in my opinion.

Andrew Lloyd Webber And Tim Rice - Jesus Christ Superstar

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  5. Chris C

I just listed a better link to said 2-CD set mentioned above! ^^^

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Aaannd, when you listed it...where exactly did you do thaaaat...? :doh:

7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I recently found the 2-disc MCA 1990 issue at a thrift store recently for less than $3 (the discs were in separate cases, $1.99 each, and there was a 30% senior discount.)

Less than two weeks later, I found the MCA 1993 remastered issue, except that it was in a thin double case, so I only got charged for one. They opened it and saw that it was two disc, but only charged for 1; $1.39. Sometimes, they scan them at 99¢, I dunno why and I don't ask.

Both sets in excellent shape.

8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

The original cast album is the best (the brown album with Ian Gillian and Murray Head) and easily available at a used record store near you.

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Is this the same one, Chris? https://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Christ...&refinements=p_n_binding_browse-bin:387645011

10. uzn007

11. Doglover

Thank you so much, I was hoping this would be the case. I’m seeing this on amazon, as well. Is this a fraud? I’m afraid to order it! Any thoughts?

12. Doglover

13. Doglover

14. pdenny

My original UK CD from the 80's (of the London production, and which sounds quite nice btw) uses the same cover but without the "Broadway Classics" logo.

15. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Ah, gentlemen. You know why we are here. We've not much time. And quite a problem still. We need to please decide. It's all you have to do.
    ;)

16. Doglover

:rolleyes:
    Yes, I need to decide soon! Brown cover, original cast, not a cheap knock-off or fake... 2012 remastered? Is this the best one?

17. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

I think so. I have various ones, but my original 2xLP gets spun regular.

18. Chris C

I changed the link in post #4 to represent the same CD that I heard on VERVE. I believe that the one that I originally linked may have been an import version of the same on DECCA, but I couldn't be sure, so I changed it. That link in post #4 is the VERVE 2-CD set that used Andrew's own tapes!

19. Chris C

20. Chris C

Link in post #4 is the VERVE 2-CD set that uses Andrew's own tapes and YES, the cover has the BROWN cover! (If you click on "more images" in that link, you will see EXACTLY what the cover and the discs look like!)

LoveYourLife likes this.
  21. Chris C

Here is a CLASSIC old Steve Hoffman Forum thread about the 2012 VERVE remaster 2-CD set. I say "classic", because it has the usual forum suspects who come into nearly every thread, always trying to kill what our ears "hear", versus the DR numbers (Dynamic Range) that they "see". I have been fighting this ridiculous thinking for years around here, but they all still want to see those damn DR numbers. As in real life, sometimes the numbers don't always add up!!! Once people stop looking at (and worse yet), living by those DR numbers, they may just "hear" one of the best "digital" versions of Jesus Christ Superstar!

Does this 2012 VERVE remaster have some flaws, well most certainly. No question that it IS louder, but that is NOT what makes it better, it just has a bit more ummph than the others before it has. Is it a 1,000 times better than what has been released before, NO, not a thousand, but at least a 100 times better than the other AMERICAN CD issued ones that I've heard (and I believe that I have heard them all!)

Anyhow, here is the old thread, have fun reading it and be sure to watch out for those DR numbers along the way ...

New Remaster of Jesus Christ Superstar

willy, Scooter59 and anduandi like this.
  22. uzn007

So just to clarify, the one with the ugly yellow cover is the 1970 album with Head and Gillian?

This post says the same thing, although given the context (and the release date indicated on Amazon), this would be older than the 2012 remaster.

23. pdenny

Yes.

uzn007 likes this.
  24. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

BTW @Doglover Welcome to the forums. If you've enjoyed this discussion you should stick around. We have similar conversations about every album ever made. ;)

willy and uzn007 like this.
  25. Doglover

Pl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.