Bands who made the same album over and over again

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manco

manco Forum Resident

I think Chicago's bad reputation amongst the 'cool kids' is based on what happened after Kath's death, instead of the 1969-1977 albums.

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

nah they had several phases with differing sound compare pet sounds to love you

3. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

The 1969-1977 albums are the Kath/Guercio-era classic albums. After the tragic death of Terry Kath and after the original producer James William Geurcio and CHICAGO parted ways, both happened only a few weeks apart in early 1978, the quality of their music in general was somehow affected.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    steve phillips likes this.
  4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I once set out to write a novel and it ended up being a word for word copy of Don Quixote. Damnedest thing.

5. manco

manco Forum Resident

Big DOH! Of course. Kath had his demons, manifesting in his weight gain and gun play.

6. Mother

Mother Forum Resident Thread Starter

They actually went semi disco at one stage. Good for them.

uzn007 likes this.
  7. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

You are right, Terry Kath had his demons. Terry Kath was becoming unhappy because of the effect of drugs and according to bandmate James Pankow (trombone), "Terry as a guitarist was very unhappy and not a happy camper, because Jimmy Page and Ten Years After and Eric Clapton, and all these English — The Yardbirds — all these English guitar players — and Hendrix — were getting all this acclaim. And Terry Kath was a truck driver in Gary Glitter clothes that was, you know, “Who the **** is this peasant from the United States?” He was getting completely blown off and put down, and he was one of the most incredible guitar players of his time. So we had a press conference in England. And Terry Kath waited for the whole band to pose with every medium in Europe and Asia on the roof of that Hilton, and when 400 photographers got ready to shoot the picture, he gave the finger to the whole bunch of them and went, “**** you England, you mother****in’ teabag ****** mother****ers!!” And that was the last time we worked in the United Kingdom."

8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

But it read like an entirely different book, I might guess.

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. El Rich-o

El Rich-o Forum Resident

King Crimson, 1st two (almost literally)

uzn007 likes this.
  10. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

Flash & The Pan

11. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

You win the thread! Congratulations.

ianuaditis and Pete Puma like this.
  12. Bananas&blow

GTFO. Utterly ridiculous statement.

Moshe, danielbravo and bopdd like this.
  13. Bananas&blow

Untrue. They got significantly worse with each album.

bopdd likes this.
  14. Bananas&blow

Is Getting tired sounding!?!?! OMG if you actually made it 4 albums deep on this "band" my god. I knew some really, really hot chicks who went to their show with me and a buddy. This was about 2006. The show sucked obviously. And one of the girls was one of the hottest chicks I never hooked up with. Huge cans.

In other words I would completely agree with Maroon 5. But I'm not sure if "every album sucked" means they made the same album. In an abstract sense it certainly does. To me it's the same thing. So I have to say good call. All Maroon 5 albums are the same (if they happen to have more than 5 albums, I don't care, and neither does any self-respecting music fan.)

I'd also like to say that I'm buzzed and this thread is awesomely ridiculous.

15. Bananas&blow

Candy-o sounds very little like Panorama. Panorama sounds little like Shake it up. Hell Panorama doesn't sound like any other album period. Candy-o is amazing. Shake it up is synth pop blah after the first 3 songs. So you just named 3 albums in a row that don't sound much alike. But other than that, you nailed it. They were clearly going for 3 different sounds. Heartbeat city sounds kinda like shake it up only more polished and better song-writing. Candy-o sounds kinda like the debut. You chose poorly in mentioning the cars.

bopdd likes this.
  16. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

The Lighthouse Family. Not only does every album sound the same, but every song sounds the same.

17. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest!

CCR-To me when they came out with Green River, I thought that sounded more Country than Rock,it had a more softer edge than Bayou Country.Comos Factory Fogerty added horns play by him on a couple of tracks .Pendulum only had one Guitar orinated track that was Pagan Baby,the rest of the tracks Forgerty thought he was Booker T and that also had horns play by Fogerty.So I don't get how Creedence sounded the same on all their Albums

18. Mother

Mother Forum Resident Thread Starter

Teenage Fanclub. But in a good way.

19. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

The debut and Wild Planet certainly, but neither of them sound like Mesopotamia nor the synthpop of Whammy! or Bouncing Off The Satellites.

veloso2 and Jrr like this.
  20. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Oasis. Same album, just decreasing quality.

21. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I think a bunch of people are confusing a "signature sound" with making the same album over and over again. A band can make a variety of music and yet retain the same basic sound.

22. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Nonsense. I own most of the Ramones catalog and saw them numerous times back in the day. When I think of band whose sound changed, I think of Fleetwood Mac or even the Clash.

The Ramones stayed within parameters and for the record, that is not a criticism. Of course there was some variance here and there, but by and large the Ramones stayed true to formula.

All punk sounds the same? I think not.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, that explains it! Ha Ha....but I never said their albums sucked in general, I quite like them, they are just getting tired sounding and the last one, well, it did suck! Of course, only imo! Hope you enjoyed the buzz.

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They are a band that amazingly pulled off moving forward step by step and changing things up without alienating (for the most part...but of course you aren't one of them) fans a long the way by changing things too much as they went, and gaining new fans by the millions as they went. That has to be incredibly difficult to pull off. Heartbeat City still has elements of the first Cars album, but shows the natural progression of the band growing up (unless of course you didn't like a more mainstream sound). I can't think of too many bands that did that as well! It's funny...that's a band that I only had a casual interest in, though I owned most of their albums, until the reissue campaign not too long ago on vinyl. I find all their albums up to Heartbeat City, and their new one a few years ago (I haven't heard that "Door" album...read too many negative comments around here so I just never tried...probably shame on me) a heck of a lot of fun now and play them regularily. And they really sound great on vinly too...a great reissue for this band.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  25. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Are you honestly claiming that the Beach Boys' albums after 1967 sound similar to each other? :confused:

starduster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.