Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It probably is my bad memory again but I remember from some interview (Rick? Roger?) that he could've been shy also. Of course this maybe cannot be accurate.

dkmonroe likes this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Perhaps people who came into contact with him during his near-catatonic stage of life concluded he was merely shy. Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper said that he hardly ever said anything but he could communicate telepathically! He said he would find himself passing things to Syd at the table that Syd never asked him for verbally, and Syd would accept them with a look that said, "Thanks, man."

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

There was also some mention of a flatmate? sleeping in the next room, who woke up with the distinct impression that Syd's thoughts had invaded his head and he was thinking a in a disjointed ping-pong fashion plus there were a few similar cases, (not saying that acid wasn't involved), but at least 4 or 5 mentions of his ability to communicate mentally on some level.

Sort of get the feeling that Syd was behaving like an intermittent connection, where if the factors became unfavorable he disconnected. The first BBC Session in Dec '67 shows with a bit of sleep he was good again, until the pressure built up....

dkmonroe likes this.
  4. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

I certainly think having a predisposition to mental illness may be why his amount of use may have had more debilitating results than those who used similar to more amounts than he did. Plus, everyone’s different, especially mentally. There seems to be no set amount that guarantees psychological issues. I’m sure there are people out there who could be permanently psychologically damaged from one trip.

5. Devilscucumber

So true! I'm sure a lot of people know of incidents where one dose of psychedelics has left the recipient "out for lunch" permanently.

Plus there was a lot of "bad acid" going around, (didn't Fleetwood Mac lose 2 guitarists?)

6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

This! Final point. People are going into depression w/o using drugs. Many life conditions can lead to mental illness. The brain is the most complex organ in the human body.

My only regret is that his output was too scarce...but judging by the number of times I already played PATGOD, there something genuinely original going on there... You can only be grateful to him for that. The rest is another sad story.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Brian Wilson is another example.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I thought it was only Peter Green.

Devilscucumber likes this.
  9. Devilscucumber

Tommyboy likes this.
  10. Phil Daniels

Phil Daniels Well-Known Member

They probably work in or own a shop so have put them aside. My local shop who stick strictly to the RSD rules was showing pictures of it on Facebook last week so the stock has been delivered. £32 it is too for those who want to know.

11. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

£30 is going to be about AU $ 50 before postage.

I can't see this appearing in my tiny town .

Someone tell me when the affordable plain package version arrives. ​

12. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

It is surprising, but in Moscow (Russia) musical shops will sell vinyls RSD. As for mono Piper, its price - $25 is already stated.

13. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I never said the rest of them were "villains". Just that they weren't getting what they wanted from Syd, and he was more than happy to not give it to them. Definitely a dysfunctional band at that point, but it wasn't entirely Syd's fault. They were hungry for fame...and he just wanted to be an artist. People make out like he lost his mind and was completely unable to function, so they had to let him go, which is just silly. It's a narrative they've been pushing since 1968 to make themselves look good.

14. dkmonroe

So are all the many stories about Syd's dysfunctional stage performances just lies? Or does someone who just wants his band to perform well on stage someone who is just "hungry for fame" and not "an artist?"

If you're saying that the rest of the Floyd deliberately made up lies about his personality problems in order to boot him and get rich quick by recording such twee pop albums as Ummagumma, than I think you are calling them "villains". Cartoon villains, actually.

yamfox and Nightswimmer like this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I take it that this mono reissue will be lovingly mastered direct from the analog tape by Bernie Grundman? :)

AlienRendel likes this.
  16. dkmonroe

As far as anyone seems to know, it will be lovingly mastered from a hi-res digital transfer by Bernie Grundman, same as the other recent Floyd reissues. And if that's too digital for ya, well, there's only 6000 copies so easy to avoid. Just stay in bed on Saturday and no icky digital in your collection.

Somerset Scholar and rontoon like this.
  17. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Uh...no. You don't get it at all. There are reasons that Syd did a lot of the things that he did and it's not (only) because he was "crazy on drugs". The members of Floyd were not the slightest bit helpful or understanding and that's why things panned out the way they did. This is even obvious when you listen to them talk today (especially Mason...it's as though he is still pissed off at Syd and has zero empathy).

Imagine70 and hallucalation like this.
  18. dkmonroe

OK, please explain or point to sources where I can get this info on how Syd did crazy stuff but it wasn't because he had any actual problems and the Floyd booted him even though they didn't have to and etc. And explain how they can be liars and conspirators and have zero empathy but still not be villains.

Geez. To be caught between Syd haters and conspiracy theorists in Floydworld. It gets complicated.

Tommyboy likes this.
  19. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

That price was suggested in the US. It's liable to be very different elsewhere. As previously stated elsewhere, last year's Instellar Overdrive was $13 in some US stores and 38 euros in my local (Parisian) store.

20. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

For that price I'm not taking part of the RSD. Still like the poster and the different sleeve though.

21. Phil Daniels

Phil Daniels Well-Known Member

It says on the sticker on the front. remastered from the original analogue source.

22. dkmonroe

They all say that, but it was reliably confirmed that the recent Floyd albums were cut from digital transfers. New digital transfers from the tapes, forsooth, but digital transfers nevertheless. Makes no difference to me - I don't care how the sausage is made.

23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have a few of the remasters and they sound excellent to me, and not digital sounding at all, not trying to disagree here, just giving feedback on the sound.

24. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I think that's dks point...they are cut from digital, but very well done and sound great.

rontoon, scotti and dkmonroe like this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks, read it really quick and misread what he actually said...my bad...

AlienRendel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.