The Terror: Limited Series (AMC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GodShifter, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Why can't some of you use closed captions?

2. I don't even know what closed captioning is for. The white people in this show speak English and the Eskimos get the subtitles. I'm lost.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Well, I use subtitles for almost everything now except for live stuff. Anything pre-recorded I almost always use them if they're available. Besides foreign language titles, they really help on some English/Irish ones where the accent is really hard to understand. Just curious why some people can't get them. Must be what they're watching the series on. I have Comcast.

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I wish these shows would have a dialogue difficulty rating to know what you’re in for. Even a simple 1 - easy, 2 - moderate, 3 - hard.

5. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Random musings...

For those that are squeezy at watching a couple of toes get chopped off... just turn your head when the saw comes out when a leg has to later be removed.

It was a little Spielberg-ian by not really showing that much of the giant sloth polar bear...spirit creature.

Lady Silence can... and has survived this terrain with the creature. It'd probably be safer for her off the ship than on it.

Unsure about your canned meat? Feed it to the monkey.

The captain is going to go through some withdrawals. Seems to be out of whiskey. He's Irish. He's not going to drink gin. Guys got priorities. He's not a savage.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Far be it for me to criticize what I cannot do, but I don’t think the CGI on the man/monster (sloth? :laugh:) is that great. It’s not terrible but I’ve seen better.

To state the somewhat obvious, Crozier isn’t drying out because he’s out of whiskey (though I’m sure that’s part of it), but more so because he knows his clearheaded leadership is going to be important for the crew to survive.

I wish I could contrast plot lines and issues from the book here, but they’d kind of spoil everything so we’ll wait on that.

7. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

I stream it on amc.com, right after the episode on tv ends. I can click on closed captions any moment. Works great, the only minor issue is the audio volume - ok during the movie, but very loud during the commercials, which cannot be skipped. Good series.

8. Chris from Chicago

Lady Silence pretty much told him (implied) he has to dry out if he wants to live.

I think he knew what he had to do when he offered the soon to be amputee a drink of whiskey.

GodShifter likes this.
  9. GodShifter

I missed where she said that. I’ve watched this show multiple times and still miss stuff :/.

I like your observations; very much CfC style and remind me of your survival show deal (I can’t remember the name of it! “Alone?”).

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  10. Chris from Chicago

It was Alone.

And it could just be the way i translated it. Capt Crozier was crocked. And impatient at how slow Goodsir was communicating with Lady Silence. So he took over the interview. What is it called? Tuunbaq. What is it? A spirit. Can you communicate with it? Since my father died no one has tried. Then... she cracked. Look at you! You don't want to live. Even if I could help, you don't want it. Why do you want to die? You know what you have to do.

To me that was the call for sobriety. But I'm open for debate in its meaning.

trem two and GodShifter like this.
  11. GodShifter

So you remembered that dialogue off the top of your head? Impressive. I don’t remember any of that. Too many bourbons?

Side bar:

Is “Alone” finished ?

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  12. Chris from Chicago

I don't start drinking until about 10 o'clock. I try to get all of my important TV watching finished by then. If you asked me what they were talking about in a show I watched at 11:30... I'd ask you what show?

It might not be word for word but it's the general tone of the conversation.

Don't know about the fate of Alone. But it has been a while since it's aired.

Side bar to your side bar...

What bourbon were you drinking?

Sorry

13. GodShifter

No apologies needed! It’s bourbon so it’s remotely related to The Terror and Crozier’s plight (yeah, we’ll go with that ;)).

My fall back bourbons are Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, and Blantons (when I can get my mits on it). You?

EVOLVIST and Chris from Chicago like this.
  14. Chris from Chicago

I like all you mentioned. But Four Roses Single Barrel is my go to. Because... you know...Tuunbaq

EVOLVIST and GodShifter like this.
  15. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Once again another great episode. Captain Crozier is in the throes of the bottle. He's been drinking everyday, all day, for months now. Can he survive without it? The creature (Tuunbaq) is strange, it looks like a Yeti/polar bear hybrid. What the heck is this thing? Have we seen the last of Lady Silence? Probably not.
    I asked last week about Hickey & the substance he found in his bunk. It looks like it was someone sharing their tobacco ration with him.

16. Borgia

Oh, and another thing, this episode ends with a similar scene. Mr. Goodsir enters Lady Silence's now vacant quarters. It looks like she has drawn some scenes on the wall, not sure what they are but I see an antlered animal. Goodsir picks up some small objects left on an upturned bowl and looks at them with amazement. Maybe I'm misjudging it, but I wonder what she left behind?

17. Chris from Chicago

I assumed it was lead. From the canned meat. But I don't know how that would work exactly.

Borgia likes this.
  18. GodShifter

The little balls? I assumed it was lead as well. Do you remember in an earlier episode when Franklin pulls one out of his mouth while eating?

Chris from Chicago and Borgia like this.
  19. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Pretty sure it was lead, maybe from the soldering on the can seals getting into the food. Isn't Goodsir doing some science experiment on feeding the canned food to the monkey to see how he fares.

Hopefully better than the monkey on Captain Crozier's back.

20. Borgia

Okay, I knew the lead was an issue with spoilage, but I didn't know they were picking it out of the food. That makes sense...

GodShifter likes this.
  21. I seem to remember that the character of Hickey was a real douche in the novel---here he has some redeeming qualities an example of providing more character development in a TV adaption--something that is rare.

22. GodShifter

The spoilage was due to the cans not being sealed properly. The lead poisoning comes from how they were canned.

wayneklein likes this.
  23. The change in their gums was due to the lead poisoning

24. Man, you guys are fancy. I get my nightcaps from some of that legalized Colorado Tuunbaq, up in smoke. :D

Yeah, all things considered, Croz was scared into sobriety, I think because the cupboards were bare, he realized he needed a level head, and because Lady Silence scared the mackerel out of him. That was a very sad scene.

Indeed, Episode 5 ran the gamut of emotions. It was terrifying when homebody-bonanza was climbing higher and higher to get away from the Tuunbaq. Not only was the monster scary, but my god, the height!

I thought the monster looked pretty cool when he was up in the masts, while the effects we're horrible when you just saw it's legs on the deck, or a part of it pass by the window.

Oh well. Just the presence of the thing is scary enough.

Was it just me or did Goodsir's hair grow a bit on his face, answering the question of did these guys eventually get all shaggy on the ship?

25. GodShifter

I believe I stated that earlier in the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.