Tinny audio from a flat screen TV

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by peter, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manny B.

Manny B. New Member

If you contact Dish they will be able to get you to the right audio format on their device for sure.

2. peter

peter Senior Member Thread Starter

Update:

So, talked to DISH and to Insignia's customer service and there is no fix that can make this soundbar work with this particular television.

I suspect that the reason is the lack of an audio in/out on the back of the TV. However, having bought a digital optical cable and having connected the soundbar via that cable at to the digital optical connection on the back of the DISH "Hopper" (the unit that provides cable service to this LG TV) and hearing that the soundbar does work on a very few channels, I continue to not understand how the soundbar can work on some channels and not others.

I also tried hooking up computer speakers to this LG TV, but only one of the speakers worked. Again, I suspect the issue is the lack of proper audio inputs/outputs on the TV.

Anyway, I have pretty much given up on this. I will install the soundbar on another (bedroom) TV and hope for better results.

I am grateful for everyone's input. Thank you.

3. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Have you tried changing the surround setting in the dish ?

4. peter

That is the one thing I did not do.

I just printed out the fix you sent me the link too and I will try that tonight.

I am going to be seriously mad if it works and the people at Dish or Insignia couldn't figure it out. This is maddening.
    But, I shouldn't be surprised. This forum has some seriously savvy people on it and for that I am always grateful. Thank you again.

5. Tartifless

It's a 50/50 shot, my reasoning is that those channel have a signal that is not supported by the soundbar, might be surround (and thus deactivating it should work) or another encoding format (in that case it would not work).

Basically by using an optical cable you bypass your DISH digital to analog converter and ask the soundbar to perform the conversion, unfortunately the soundbar does not support many formats.

Does the Dish have left/right analog outputs ?
    Do you know the exact model of your tv ?
    Does the soundbar have hdmi input ?

6. peter

In answer to your questions:

1. If you mean the red and white RCA connectors, then yes, the Dish device (called a Joey, not a Hopper - I made an error - the Hopper is the big main DISH DVR unit which is in my listening room) has these.

2. My LG TV is a 22LJ4540.

3. The soundbar does not have an HDMI input, but both the TV and Joey do.

Thanks again.

7. Tartifless

Does the soundbar have those red and white entry ? Did you try and connect the red/white rca from the Joey to the soundbar ?

8. peter

Yes. No sound, but did not try that with the fix which appears in the DISH link you sent. Will try all that tonight.

9. bean_counter

bean_counter Well-Known Member

I have a Dish receiver; my solution was to use an HDMI switch with a digital optical out (TOSLINK). The digital optical cable goes to Klipsch powered speakers with built in DAC.

Dish-->HDMI Cable-->HDMI switch--> split path

path #1 - HDMI switch-->HDMI Cable-->TV
    path #2 - HDMI switch--> Digital Optical cable--> Powered Speakers (Klipsch R-15PM + sub)

10. peter

I think I am going to buy a better TV, one with audio outs. However, I want to be sure I look for the right features when I look for a tv online. Are the words "audio out" or "external audio" what I am looking for? Also, if someone knows of a 15.6 tv that has these features, I would certainly appreciate that information.

11. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

fogalu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.