The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. My thoughts too on Sin After Sin...the remaster has bass that just is not there on any of the original CD's.
    I have the Line versions Rocka Roller and Sad Wings Of Destiny which also sound very good bar a big jump in volume on The Ripper.

weekendtoy and Natvecal. like this.
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Someone on the board pushed me towards The Collection (Judas Priest - The Collection ) for the best sounding versions of Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings of Destiny.

Natvecal. likes this.
  3. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Ha! Probably but it would've been a few years ago, tragically.

4. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

This looks gorgeous, I would love to have it on my shelf

ian christopher likes this.
  5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

First time? I STILL think that. :)

6. Trillmeister

I think the original CDs of Sin After Sin came out in 1987; the version Natvecal has, above, I think was a 1990 reissue, non-remaster.

Bit at odds with those who be down on this/earlier (CD) versions as this (I have the precisely the same issue) sounds really peachy to me but it's Stained Class (original issues only) that really does the biz.

ian christopher and Natvecal. like this.
  7. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I really like that remaster of Sad Wings. Wish you could buy a standalone copy.

8. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Got this off of EBAY (Pictures) as I haven't got Sin After Sin yet. I really appreciate the responses though. I really want to know if that 1990 re-issue (as Trillmeister pointed out) the same as the '87 US CD? sounds like it from what I'm getting here just light on the bass. Right?

9. Natvecal.

it's funny for me as sound-wise my 1st album I ever heard of JP was Unleashed. Soon after British Steel came out. Then, I started buying the older releases and really had a hard time getting past the (IMHO) weak sound. Whether Unleashed is a TRUE Live album or not it really gave those songs some much needed sonic teeth. So, I assumed all the back catalogue would be similar in sound?If that makes sense from the perspective of a teenager? But, now I'm really digging the sound and vibe of Hell Bent For Leather (AF) and me thinks I need to go back to these old classics and re-submerge myself in them sonically(blasting these babies loud!!!!):evil:

Trillmeister likes this.
  10. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Same mastering

Judas Priest 'Sin After Sin" - best cd?.........

Natvecal. likes this.
  11. Natvecal.

Thanks good to know. But, as this Forum has taught me (the hard way always it seems:doh:) there's a lot of "Curve-Ball" issues/Re-issues of CDs out there that are to be avoided or at least better mastering options out there. All you guys ROCK here!!!Thanks for the useful input! I asked and you guys answered!!!YEAH!!!:edthumbs:

Curveboy likes this.
  12. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

all my CD's with that SACEM/BIEM logo sound great.

Silver looks so much better than other CD colors these days.

Natvecal. and vonseux like this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Why? Because it sounds slowed down?

ian christopher likes this.
  14. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

I'm torn as to which version is more fantastic: the studio cut (with the abrupt ending) or the live rendition on "Staying A Life".

The Staying A Life version has a glorious ending which rises to an incredible crescendo - aided by Kaufman's thundering yet always tasteful percussion and Baltes' nimble basslines - yet there's a twin harmony section a few minutes before the finale which
    sounds fuller and more developed on the studio album (Restless and Wild) version.

One thing that continues to impress me about Accept (aside from the many aspects that other fans and reviewers have praised) is how they coast and ride along with great riffs and verses, hardly ever rushing to a chorus.

The payoff of many Accept songs is just fantastic, precisely because they rarely rush a chorus before the first 70-80 seconds of a song.

This probably doesn't engender them to many casual radio-rock fans, but it absolutely rewards repeat listens 10x.

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Ah, because it cuts off so abruptly. Forgot about that.

16. Trillmeister

As I'm constantly finding (often prompted by the righteous guidance of venerable members from hereabouts) it really does pay to exercise your 70s 'Priest as regularly as possible.

A whole sitting through Sad Wings Of Destiny usually finds me kind of stunned for a minute or two once it's done: some 40 minutes of life as sheer nectar.

Like 'Sabbath, BÖC and Rush, there's something very-heavy-but-not-necessarily-all-that-metallic about much of this period's representation c/o this trio but in terms of sheer music and sonic bliss (not necessarily perfection, mind) it's one of the most verdent pastures in Creedo Valley.

17. Natvecal.

Well put and agree.:righton:

Trillmeister likes this.
  18. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I've never tried to sit down and figure it out, but if hard pressed, this could be my favorite album of all time. And agreed, every time I listen to the album I'm left dumbfounded afterwards from it's sheer brilliance.

Northwind and Trillmeister like this.
  19. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Thanks to whoever hipped me to Lost in Vegas, the open-minded rap fans that review metal songs. I wanted y'all to know they had a reaction to Black Sabbath's Heaven & Hell - they already loved War Pigs.

20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Pretty much the reaction I had the first time hearing this song...
    :cool:

21. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Excellent, excellent band. Russian Roulette was the first Accept album I heard, but I haven't listened to it in a really long time, I just might.

But, a note about Balls to the Wall. Gotta disagree. I think that song displays all their best traits quite well. Certainly not comparable to Enter Sandman. I also think that album is very consistent in quality.

22. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I just watched their War Pigs reaction and I was thinking that there's hope for the future.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  23. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Lead singer of Inglorious, reminds me at times of "The Red Rocker" mixed with some Glen Hughes and Coverdale spronkles. Pretty damn good stuff really...

slipkid and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  24. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

I was intrigued until I saw that this album was mixed by Caveman Kevin Shirley.

25. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Deep Purple and Judas Priest are touring together this year! No Houston dates yet...