Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Netflix -Breaking Bad : What's the 4K picture like ? The show was shot on film, Blu Ray seasons discs interior scenes are dark.

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The Shield is supposed to be in 4k by the end of 2018.

3. alexpop

Netflix 4K or media ?

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Both BR DVD and streaming. It was planned for March 2017 for the 15 yr anniversary of the pilot but that didn't happen.

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

I'll get it.
    What about Breaking Bad?

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Not yet.

alexpop likes this.
  7. alexpop

10th Anniversary this year.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

How much did you pay for it (if you don't mind my asking)?

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I liked Justified a lot. Starts off more disconnected episodes with background character threads going on but then takes off more story arc type stuff although each season kind of features a special set of characters & arcs in it. I LOVED the season with the guy from the Detroit mob in it. I have been meaning to rewatch the whole series (I bought i all on DVD) but never got around to it (someday I will).

And if yer a fan of Walton Goggins (who was absolutely extraordinary in The Shield) you have GOT to watch what he does in this series. He is extraordinary squared in this show. Unbelievable....

4_everyman, rmath84 and alexpop like this.
  10. alexpop

The Wire blu Ray complete 32.00.

slipkid likes this.
  11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, that is amazing, great price for The Wire. I thought you were referring to Banshee though!

12. alexpop

28.00 BD.Banshee.

slipkid likes this.
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Even better!!! I would definitely pick it up at the price. Will have to camelcamelcamel it on Amazon, see if it comes back down at some point (is at $68 now and DVD is like $48).

14. alexpop

I get all my TV series used. Hence inexpensive factor. The only one that I buy new is Game Of Thrones ( for steelbook)).

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ah, OK.

Something I gotta say, I've never rented DVDs from the library b4, and OMG these discs are so trashed it is beyond belief. Scratches, dirt, pitting, all kinds of weird looking stuff. Even worse than the old blockbuster rental days (I would see discs with pizza stains, butter popcorn greasy fingerprints, you name it). These Banshee S2 discs look like somebody used them to play street hockey with (reminds me of seeing a friend once get some rentals then proceed to drop the cases in his driveway and several discs bounced/scurried around on the hot blacktop all over the place).....

The first season I rented looked beat up but played OK. These may not though.....guess I'll find out soon enough....

Brenald79 likes this.
  16. alexpop

I don't buy rented ones, used not rented. Plus I check diligently.

Ironically a new ( brand spanking new) sealed Breaking Bad complete Blu Ray steelbook. 2-3 discs were faulty, scenes would freeze ...mighty p off with that.

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

+1 on Justified. Just re-watched the entire series last month! Had only seen the episodes when they originally aired, was SO much better the 2nd time around!;)

slipkid likes this.
  18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

BTW, anyone that digs Justified would absolutely enjoy Hap & Leonard!

19. alexpop

Feel the same with Breaking Bad,watching it a fourth time the whole series just zipped past.

20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

This happens to me a lot with library DVDs and it depends which library they're from lol. With Banshee, from my massive downtown library, I had to buy 2 episodes from ITunes that wouldn’t play at all on the DVDs. Still saves a lot of money overall than buying every single series on Itunes or DVD. I've got season 2 & 3 of Power (an amazing show) also from downtown library that looks like someone played Frisbee with. My local library in suburbs next to senior's homes has less selection on shows but usually better DVD conditions.

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, it's weird, I wasn't expecting these to be so beat up. I figured borrowers from a library would be more "educated" or conscious of how to treat things well rather than abuse them, than say a video rental place back in the day. Although, I wonder, maybe the explanation is that the libraries get these releases after the closing of video stores, or as donations after they are beat to crap & no longer work well enough for wherever they came from.

22. alexpop

You can get a cd/DVD buffer for scratched discs. Blu Ray is trickier I believe.

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

OMG. Am still in midst of watching Banshee. Thx so much guys for mentioning this show. It's stunning. I liked it at first as a kind of comic book character over the edge ultraviolent series with super hot women & seemingly gratuitous sex scenes but there is wayyy more to it than that. Great writing, directing, & acting within a very crazy landscape of, yeah, pretty much over the top comic book type characters but it works once you accept that version of the universe.

Just saw the "assault on precinct 13" style episode 5 in season 3 and the ending packed the same emotional gut wrenching "NO!" type of reaction that The Shield gave us with what happened with Shane & Lem. Any work of fiction that can move an audience like that is pretty powerful stuff.

And I don't know how they do it but this show continues to provide the best action and fight scenes I've ever seen, over and over again, in truly epic style.

24. alexpop

Just glad Banshee was available on blu ray.

25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

A show I've enjoyed is the Strike Back series from Cinemax. Political/International/paramilitary ops in the 24/Homeland vein except MUCH more action packed. One of the 'thing's about the show was how they very often went old school as far as battles and effects go. Not much CGI. The behind the scenes snippets show that working on the show was a stuntman's delight but the 2 lead actors were right in there dangling from trucks, explosions blasting away all over the place. As the seasons progressed, so did their budget and the 'gags' (stunts) got even bigger. The original series featured Andrew Lincoln (Walking Dead). A fun watch if you like this type of show!

Brenald79 and PhantomStranger like this.