New music by ABBA - "Voyage" LP due Nov. 5, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeysCantSwing, Apr 27, 2018.

1. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Fantastic news! Who would have ever thought?

If the new track is anywhere near as good as Benny’s Story of a Heart from a few years back, this could be something quite special. No need for whole album or tour. Just knowing they’d got together and recorded something because they all wanted to, not for money, fame or glory puts a great big smile on my face.

2. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Ja,det var hon!

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I hope this is only the beginning. If things go well, they'll do what Queen did, and have some contemporary mixers create new versions of their songs to put on deluxe reissues of the albums. Can we maybe also hope for matched colored vinyl mastered directly from digital for the best sound quality? Maybe a scarf or set of marbles?

Jarleboy, agundy and moodyxadi like this.
  4. I don't know if the pun was intended, but it works.

5. It's ABBA, satin scarves are a given!

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

About 10 years ago. But, yeah, Story of a Heart (co-written by Benny and Bjorn) sounds exactly like vintage ABBA (but with a different female vocalist).

MikaelaArsenault, Jrr, bob60 and 6 others like this.
  7. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Yes, it's basically promotion for the "virtual concert" project, a sure-fire way of generating interest.

8. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

10 years ago?! Where the hell did a decade go?

I suppose it must have been though. The late Terry Wogan (much loved UK radio DJ and personality) played it on his breakfast show and was audibly awestruck. After composing himself he said it could have been a long lost Abba song.

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  9. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

Vad bra!

Big news to this Stockholm-born fan of pop-music far and wide. Didn't think this would happen but then again I never thought Cream would get back together. I think as these folks get older and realize there's only so many years left, the bitterness and old feuds can be looked past, even if just for a few concerts (in Cream's case) or a couple of songs.

And yes, I do think the Beatles would have done the same with all four eventually, if not for the events of December 8, 1980.

10. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

It sounds like they're being careful to avoid this:

From the BBC story: Abba's spokesperson Gorel Hanser described the new songs, saying: "The sound will be familiar, but also modern."

driverdrummer likes this.
  11. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Autotune? :hide:

alexpop and driverdrummer like this.
  12. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I think so too. The catalyst could've been Live Aid

13. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

ABBA RAPS

(please, God, no...)

14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Absolutely The Beatles would have reformed for Live Aid, even McCartney has said this...

15. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

What a week this has turned out to be for pop music.
    Firstly Brotherhood Of Man got back together to perform a medley of their hits at the end of Pointless Celebrities TV game show the other day, and now new Abba music.
    Phew!

16. Yay! 70s pop muzick by 70 year olds!

_cruster likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There's always one...

alexpop, andrewskyDE, Tord and 4 others like this.
  18. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

This makes me fell all warm inside!

coffeetime and Derek Slazenger like this.
  19. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Brilliant news, ABBA have written some pop masterpieces guilty pleasure or not.

20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Me too, warm and tingly ;)

21. I just sent a text-msg to a friend of mine here at work -- a big ABBA fan -- with just a link to one of the Swedish Language stories. If he scrolls down far enough, the English language Facebook statement appears -- but it's all Swedish (which might as well be all Greek to him).

If he hasn't already heard, I'm sure it'll puzzle him for a good 30 seconds or so, and then he'll probably squeal with delight.

Marble Index and ptijerm like this.
  22. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

The best news is that they - at least claim - that they wanted to record together again. And I have no reason to think they are lying - they have always done what they wanted.

I can´t wait to hear the songs. They keep writing that "the song" is new. So maybe the other song may be an unreleased gem? Initials "JLT", perhaps? I don´t think so, somehow.

I don´t expect to feel let down. When Boney M. released their second "MAGIC OF BONEY M"." compilation, they included a new song. And very boring it was, and it didn´t even sound like Boney M., more like a less successful Liz Mitchell solo song. Knowing ABBA, I think they won´t release anything they´re not satiafied with. So yes, colour me excited!

And if this whets their appetites, who am I to complain? Life is good...

alexpop, John Adam, Jon_UK and 7 others like this.
  23. My name is Bjorn, I ain't got no horn
    And these satin pants ain't never torn
    I still bring the pop, won't ever stop
    After all these years I'm back on top!
    (cue scratching and other signifiers of out-of-touchness)

andrewskyDE, LarsO, MultiMan and 5 others like this.
  24. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

The two songs are called "I Still Have Faith In You" and "Don't Shut Me Down".

Abba reunites to record new music after 35 years

25. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Great news. I trust B 'n' B and am very optimistic. It sounds like it happened quite organically. Exciting.