Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Peter Brotzmann Chicago Tentet: Stone/Water

An immense 38:44 piece recorded live @ Victoriaville, Quebec on May 23rd, 1999

I saw the band shortly after this @ Tonic in NYC (minus the *great* Kondo but plus Mars Williams on alto saxophone) and it was among the greatest sets of music I’ve ever experienced.

In either 2001 or 2002 I again saw the band and to this day, it’s the greatest 2 sets of music I’ve ever heard live. 2 sets lasting maybe 42-45 minutes each.

As great as this recording is (and it might be the best one of the original band (before Drake left - and before the band stopped using charts/notated music to center the improvisations), the power and force and groove of this ensemble live is unmatched in modern music.

Peter Brotzmann: tenor saxophone & clarinet
    Mats Gustafsson: tenor saxophone & flutephone
    Ken Vandermark: tenor saxophone, clarinet & bass clarinet
    Jeb Bishop: trombone
    Toshinoru Kondo: trumpet & electronics
    Fred Lonberg-Holm: cello & electronics
    William Parker: double bass
    Kent Kessler: double bass
    Michael Zerang: drums
    Hamid Drake: drums

On Okkadisk

2. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

This might amuse you. An Artist search for Brotzmann on spotify gives quite a few responses.

[​IMG]

(click the image to enlarge)

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  3. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

RSD EP - Marty Stewart And His Fabulous Superlatives, way out west - desert suite (trip one).

Side B is a B side from the recent LP. Side A is Desert Suite...it's basically some AM dial flashbacks with some studio fun. There is a ton of sampling going on, but my opinion is it's done tastefully and not cheesy. I assume since it's a suite, and this is trip one, there is more to come (I hope). Pretty cool and fun EP.

[​IMG]

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

For me, the most difficult of all The Who albums through Endless Wire. A few really good songs though, and the rest are elevated by the fact that they're still at their performance peaks.

warewolf95 and adamos like this.
  5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Residual Echoes Callifornia

Cate Le Bon Mug Museum

Major Stars Syntoptikon

Bevis Frond New River Head

I saw Robyn Hitchcock last night. It was fantastic, but I've listened to so much RH over the past couple months or so I think I need a break now.

6. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Im freaking out here guys. Im trying not to hyperventilate

Im 4th row center for Utopia in Atlanta tonight

Thanks to some incredible soul posting a presale code on here. This is a miracle score

Im ten feet from the stage. Holy crap im about to die

7. warewolf95

I love the songs but as an album ive always thought it wasnt that good. Not too cohesive seeming i mean. Still a highly underrated set of mostly great songs!

:)

Crimson Witch and wavethatflag like this.
  8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Pere Ubu: Ray Gun Suitcase

The most overlooked great rock record of the 90’s???

Me thinks so. Even the Ubu fans are not all on board

“Turquoise Fins” rivals the best of the Captain with huge hooks and a power pop sensibility

In a better world, David Thomas gets rich behind this tune

Band is on fire throughout and the tunes are uniformly brilliant

Plus it has “Vacuum in my Head” in the 5 Spot. In my view genius of the highest order. I feel David’s pain. Plus I hear melodies that are as deep as the deepest ocean. The instrumental 1:20 opening should be world reknowned.

notesofachord, Erik B. and bzfgt like this.
  9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    It's nice to have some primal live Who officially released.

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Listening to this concert again. Simply extraordinary in every way you could imagine.

11. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Now this is a guitar album. Deke Leonard, Micky Jones joined by John Cipollina who was still in his prime. The is the quintessential live Man document-1975. I have some other ones that are good, but I've listened to those recently; I've not heard this one in some time, and right now it is a marvel. The recording is superb with just the right amount of crowd noise which is minimal put present. I saw Cipollina once, a few years before this date, a dashing, confident figure on stage, and one who exhibited complete mastery of his instrument. It was an experience I will never forget it... the dark prince of notable licks, sustains,tremolo bars and gothic Gibson SG's. Again, this album is incredible, and to hear John Cipollina workin' it on Codine is, well...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  12. Have you heard the band Last Exit? That quartet accounts for most of my exposure to Brotzmann's playing. Does he have anything other than ferocity? Not that there's anything the matter with ferocity- it was absolutely essential in that band, particularly for the sax player of the group.

If there's too much intensity dialed past ten, after a while I start to worry about the structural framework of the building. But I'll say this about Last Exit: I have no doubt that they could out-heavy anyone. In terms of sheer power, I can't think of a band they couldn't blow off the stage.

hyde park and Scopitone like this.
  13. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

off rsd for now, a 2010 remaster of

[​IMG]
    damn that is big

14. wavethatflag

"Skateaway" exudes a dreamlike urban cool that only exists in that song. What a great album! Just put it on. That's the power of damn big art.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  15. "Espresso Love" into "The Other One" would be a great segue for any band capable of pulling it off. Arguably a bit obvious. But forgivable, if the playing redeemed it.

(Lee Ritenour's rendition of "Isn't She Lovely" also veers toward that territory, on the outro.)

16. wavethatflag

Because he says "just like the other one" a couple times at the end of the song. I just heard it. Cool.

JRAD take note!

DrLunchbox likes this.
  17. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Standing on a corner, suitcase in my hand... oh my.

disc one:

[​IMG]

18. The band is also getting into the locomotive tempo thing, even before Knopfler lands that ad lib. No idea whether that's a conscious hat tip. But for Deadheads, it's moments like those that add just a little extra sparkle to the dew-laden interstices of Indra's web.

19. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Ten Years After,
    Rock&Roll Music to the World
    upc : 5060516091157

Chrysalis 2018 CD reissue

[​IMG]

20. wavethatflag

"There is an ancient story from India. It goes something like this: The god Indra constructed the universe as an infinite number of intersecting nodes. At each nodal point, he placed a pearl. Each pearl reflects, and is reflected by, all other pearls. Thus, the universe contains an infinite number of beings and dimensions, each connected to, reflecting, and composed of, all the others."

Just stole that from a google search. I didn't know the reference.

21. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I saw some of Penelope Spheeris' The Decline of Western Civilization 1981
    this morning and the segment happened to have eXene Cervenka, John Doe,
    Billy Zoom (one strange but cool cat) and Bonebrake of X being interviewed
    with perks of performance footage. Wow this morning, wow now...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  22. warewolf95

Wow.

Just....

Wow.

Utopia smashed me to pieces.

Words cant do them justice. I drove the 2 hour ride home in silence with my jaw hanging open still trying to come to grips with it.

Unbelievable show. There werent many effects but they didnt need any anyways.

Utopia were ON FIRE!

Todd in a silver outfit doing windmills like Pete Townshend.

Kasim Sulton with the good looks and the voice of an angel. Im positive we made eye contact several times. I was headbanging and giving the devil horns during Just One Victory and it had to be me he gave a thumbs up to. Then ue started cracking up lol.

And gosh darn Mr Wilcox was beating those skins like they owed him money. There is no subtlety at all to his playinf but i dobt mean that in a bad way.

The replacement keyboardist was great. He was a heasbanger too so i felt a kinship with hip haha.

All in all some of the best 80 dollara ive ever spent in my life.

I almost got a pick from Todd too but the guy next to me saw it first. Dangit lol.

10 our of freaking 10. I knew it would he good but this took any and all expectations i didnt evwn know i had, took them out back and then shot them clearly between the eyes.

My.

Freaking.

God.

ALL HAIL UTOPIA!!!

:bigeek:

23. warewolf95

Great doc. Love the Black Flag and Darby Crash segments

Scopitone likes this.
  24. wavethatflag

So I guess you maybe liked it? :winkgrin:

edit: There are few things better than going to a show and loving it. I've had my best days on five or six hours sleep because I went to a great show the night before.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  25. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Inspired by an alert I just got on the Janice thread. Sometimes
    timing is perfect... a continuance of west coast stuff.

From the box Pearls disc 1... one of my favorite openings to any
    record, well, maybe besides Loaded and Exile on Main Street
    or Sticky Fingers, or Who' Next or...

[​IMG]