Marlo Thomas "That Girl" in New York - Vintage footage: Behind the Scenes Location Shoot*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

I'm assuming this is from the dvd set, fantastic New York location footage shot for the first season...narrated by Marlo Thomas and creator Bill Persky.

2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

That was very interesting, and this is from someone who did not care for That Girl.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's amazing footage, even more incredible that it survives after more than 50 years and that Denoff and Thomas are around to narrate it.

Dan C and longdist01 like this.
  4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Bill Persky

Sam Denoff died in 2011

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Looked great. Thanks. Loved her in that show.

6. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Thanks for posting this.
    My wife loved and still loves Marlo and the show so I'll have to show her this .

And , because Marlo Thomas doesn't come up much in threads around here .. I don't get to tell my Marlo story much.
    :D

Probably twenty years ago Marlo and her husband Phil Donahue came into my store and bought a Strat for Phil's son for his birthday .

She asked me if we wrapped ?
    I kind of smiled and said no and if you saw how I wrapped you wouldn't even ask.:p

To her every lasting credit in my book, she went out down the block, bought some wrapping paper came back and got down on her knees on the floor
    in a lesson room and wrapped the guitar in its case without a hint of attitude.

She was just like the personality she projected on That Girl.

I'll always respect her for that, not to mention the entire St. Jude hospital thing her father started and she still participates in as far as I know.

7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for sharing that story Glenn!

Glenn Christense likes this.
  8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

As I mentioned last night, my wife is a big fan so she really enjoyed watching the video you posted so thanks again .

dirwuf likes this.
  9. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Absolutely GREAT footage. Since I live here in NYC, all those locations are familiar to me, and its fun to see how they looked in 1967. I loved seeing the old Green NYC buses, and the Cream and Green Taxi cabs.
    I worked just a block away from the Seegrams building (where Don Holliger worked in the show).

How nice that in 1967 you didnt see Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks and Subway every block.

Thank you for posting that!

chilinvilin, groundharp, Tanx and 3 others like this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

thanks!

11. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Good stuff,one of the classic shows in TV history.

12. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

She narrates the St. Jude fundraising commercials on TV, so I believe that she's deeply involved in its operation and survival. What a heroic thing Danny Thomas did to start this institution. You can direct Amazon to donate percentage of your purchases (at no extra charge to you) on Amazon to St. Jude by buying your stuff through the website portal www.smile.amazon.com instead of the usual www.amazon.com website....

Tanx likes this.
  13. Fregly

Fregly Well-Known Member

I thought New Girl with the wonderful Zooey Dechannel was going to be a modern That Girl mixed with Mike Leigh's Happy go lucky and then it was quickly turned into an ensemble Friends type thing, with Zooey made equivalent to the weak cast. People watched it so what do I know.

14. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Family Guy did a good spoof on that....another crush I had when I was a kid, she was gorgeous. I still remember Phil Donahue interviewing her in the 70s, I think he proposed shortly after! :D

sean

15. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Is anyone else hearing her introduce herself as "Marlo Thompson?"
    I've played this a few times and I keep hearing her say Thompson.

16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

This is footage is from the first or second season DVD set, as I own both. The opening for Seasons "2 through 4" were my favorite. Great visuals and that great theme by the late Earle Hagen. (Heard and seen around the 2:05 mark of the following clip) ...

That Girl Season Two, Episode One Pass the Potatoes, Ethel Merman

17. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Amazing footage--thanks for posting this.

It's interesting how formally everyone dressed back then (and how it would all change just a couple years later).

18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Adding to my post above, regarding the opening titles sequence for Seasons 2 through 4 (and 5th, if you count the added vocal version of the theme), was done by the late Reza Badiyi.

Reza, sadly uncredited for his brilliant openings, was responsible for "That Girl" (Seasons 2 through 5), "The original Jack Lord opening of Hawaii-5-O", "Get Smart" and of course, his most infamous, the classic opening titles of "That OTHER Girl" ...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  19. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I just discovered "That Girl" on Hulu. Not sure if I will stick with it. I barely remember it from it's original run.

20. Yes, a fun watch connected to a terrible show.

21. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

I remember that show. Watched it all the time. Thought Marlo was a looker. I was a youngster.

GoodKitty and Mister Charlie like this.
  22. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Yeah it was a cute show that my mom loved. Even at 7- 10 years old I had a crush on Marlo. Wonderful memories, thanks all, John.

GoodKitty likes this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

That was great. Thanks

24. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

That was fun, I just saw her out dining in an Italian restaurant with Phil Donahue not long ago. I thought there are two former massive cultural icons that have almost completely dropped from the public’s consciousness.

chacha likes this.
  25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Which is probably a nice thing for them. To have had the massive fame and now to have a more “normal” life.

chilinvilin and Sneaky Pete like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.