New music by ABBA - "Voyage" LP due Nov. 5, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeysCantSwing, Apr 27, 2018.

1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Calling it quits in 1983 and staying true to their words for so long is pretty much a clean break and this feels like a crowning achievement. They deserve it.

Chemguy, Man at C&A and driverdrummer like this.
  2. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

Whatever they came up with, I am very excited. I have been buying all of Benny's releases (and also Agnetha's and Frida's) since they split up, and he is a very gifted composer and producer. Here's to hoping that they don't use auto tune.

reapers, Chemguy and jammincrowe like this.
  3. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

BTW - Frida's new version of Andante, Andante (in Spanish) is out on Spotify: Andante, Andante

4. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

They never split up. They made a break...

John Adam and fozl1986 like this.
  5. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

"It resulted in two new songs and one of them, ‘I Still Have Faith In You,’ will be performed by our digital selves in a TV special produced by NBC and the BBC aimed for broadcasting in December.”

Being within the safe confines of a TV studio (rather than on the stormy seas of live performance), couldn't they have recorded a take with their actual selves?

6. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

My feeling,with the limited information we have at the moment, is that these new songs are akin to the songs The Beatles recorded in the mid 90's in that they are intended to be a part of, and generate publicity for a bigger project, rather than a genuine reforming of the band.

I hope to be proven wrong and would love the two songs to turn into a full album!

Chemguy, Wright and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

They called it that. ;)

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It’s different in one key sense - all four members participated.

Chemguy and somnar like this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The synergistic strategy is assuredly the same. But the difference here is that all the members are still alive. They are not confined to shoehorning a sound on top of a dodgy demo.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Well all 4 Beatles did too even if one of them didn't realise it when he recorded his vocals!

Chemguy and bob60 like this.
  11. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Not releasing any music for 35 years and only appearing together a handful of times in that period is essentially splitting up.

GoodKitty and Chemguy like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This should be far more credible than the almost forgotten Beatles reunion tracks from the 90s. Hopefully these will sound like ABBA whereas The Beatles sounded like an uninspired ELO backing a bad quality cassette of someone singing. I'm a big fan of The Beatles, I like ELO and aren't particularly an ABBA fan, I only like a few ABBA songs.

bob60, Gary7704 and driverdrummer like this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It’s going to be quite an Abba year, with the broadcast, the new songs and the release of the sequel to the embarrassingly bad but massively successful Mamma Mia! film (second highest grossing live action musical of all time).

Their popularity in the US in particular is astonishing. Remember they only charted four top ten hits in the US, fewer than acts like Tony Orlando and Dawn, Gladys Knight and the Pips and the Captain & Tenille. They never had a to 10 album in the US. Somehow, at some point since then, the US came around.

14. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

The main similarity is the promotional part. "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" along with the TV special were meant to sell the anthologies, whereas ABBA's new songs are meant to sell their virtual tour. ABBA's gambit could be more profitable, but it is also risker, since it will stand or fall on the quality of the technology.

Actually, when I think about it, what the two cases have in common is also the attempt to add to the band's legacy by means of technology. In the case of the Beatles, the technology of bringing Lennon back was "good enough" at the time (though it has naturally dated since). With ABBA, however, we don't know yet if the technology will be convincing enough to create the illusion of the band performing in their prime. My main concern is that while it might be entertaining as a live experience, it could be underwhelming when watching it on TV (as it will first be presented through the special).

Chemguy, driverdrummer and Bink like this.
  15. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

i think depends on how you define both those terms.

Apparently they never split up being friends altho certainly the period around 1982 and a few years after that, were probably somewhat frosty between them (except for Benny and Bjorn who have been practically brothers since the 60s). That's speculation, but theres also evidence that Agnetha and Frida barely saw each other for YEARS afterward. I also read that when Frida had her big hit solo album, she moved away to England, and after 1982, didnt see the others much for a long time.

However, time heals all, and Bjorn states that they've been getting together quite often ever since their music was re-discovered, I'm guessing roughly the 90s. But didnt make any new music, just discussed business things or attended parties and functions together here and there.

In my opinion, yes the band did indeed split up for over 30 years. But again, thats semantics.

16. Wombat Reynolds

Theres a couple of threads here with people denying this, stating that abba was actually HUGE in the USA the entire time; and somehow, its either a conspiracy or some kind of oddball close-minded bigotry to state that abba wasnt HUGE.

Funny threads.

17. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Wasn't their US tour pretty minimal (unfortunately), as I recall?

18. Wombat Reynolds

well, again, minimal is a subjective term. I've heard all kinds of descriptions of it, but from what I can tell, they did ONE actual tour of North America, played less than twenty cities, in smallish arenas, and some shows didnt sell out; some did.

GoodKitty and maxwell2323 like this.
  19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I hope these two songs are a lot better than those terrible Beatles songs....

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They were cack!

bob60 likes this.
  21. I'd take "Just like that" over a new song...

sathvyre, vivresavie and anduandi like this.
  22. Wombat Reynolds

how insightful!

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Yep, I don't think they deserved much more insight. To be honest I gave a more articulate reason why I don't rate them earlier in this thread and I don't know why I typed that.

bob60 likes this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

You mean a conspiracy by Billboard and Cashbox to keep them off the US charts? I’ve never heard that.

Four top 10 singles and one number 1 isn’t bad. Not quite as good as the Partridge Family, but the Partridges were pretty big.

25. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Considering the media furore whenever even just 3 of them were in the same room together, if they have been on cordial terms I can entirely understand why they might have taken such pains to avoid all 4 of them being together in public. The press attention around the new tracks is at least as intense as that around Gilmour (Live 8) and Plant (O2) and their respective 'reunions'. At least ABBA have a ready-to-serve answer with regards the touring question.

Wombat Reynolds likes this.