Cobra Kai-Karate Kid Sequel Series Starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

possible story spoiler: IIRC, I think the kid cleaning the window there is Danel's son (hee hee). That is a big part of the newfound friction btwn Johnny & Daniel.

2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I’m in! Y’all bring the beer!

3. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

I'll definitely give it a chance. After not seeing the original Karate Kid for probably 20 years, I watched it last year to show it to my son. Despite its hokey moments, I was surprised by how relatively innocent much of it is. I miss those times, and I hope this sequel pays due respect. I think it will.

4. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Full trailer released:

I am in.

artfromtex, Karnak and Encuentro like this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes! I’m in!

6. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Martin Kove is still alive. Is he going to show up I hope.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Fandango event April 24. See first two episodes on big screen. I think I might actually do this. The trailer looks pretty cool!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Okay, so seriously...really. From this trailer it looks as if Johnny is down on his luck, while Danny is a big shot money-making franchise auto owner. Johnny sees a way where he can get back on his feet, yet Danny isn't having any of it. In fact, we see a few scenes where it looks like Johnny is doing great with the local kids. So, instead of minding his own business (oh yeah, and insulting Johnny in front of his friends, while laughing about it), Danny recruits a bunch of other neighborhood kids to take down Johnny's kids? Do I have that right?

All of this, 34 years later, because Danny believes that his violent hand-to-hand combat is better than Johnny's violent hand-to-hand combat?

omikron and Scopitone like this.
  9. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

10. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

The one with the girl? I liked it:hide:

Scopitone likes this.
  11. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Oh man, his face always makes bust up laughing.

Allen Michael likes this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

First episode down. Digging it.

13. Encuentro

I had no idea it started. Thanks for the heads up!

14. Encuentro

So the first episode is free. I’m assuming that you have to subscribe to watch the rest.

15. Daniel Plainview

What does subscribing entail?

16. Encuentro

It’s a streaming service, like Hulu and Netflix. It’s $12.99 per month, which is pretty expensive for a streaming service, but the first month is free, so you can wait until the season is over, start the free trial and binge watch it.

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Link to the first episode?

18. Encuentro

19. MikaelaArsenault

20. Encuentro

As it turns out, you don't have to wait for the season to end, as the entire series is already available. The first two episodes are free. You need YouTube Red to watch the rest. But YouTube Red gives you the first month for free. So you just have to watch eight episodes within a month and cancel before the trial is over if you don't want to pay for it.

21. MikaelaArsenault

Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

omikron likes this.
  22. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

If that's the business model they want to go with, so be it.

omikron and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Ridiculous that there's a paywall between you and their own self generated content? I digress.

This show is great! Fans of karate kid rejoice...this has all the heart and cheese and odd comedic moments ...all of it. They did a tremendous job resurrecting these characters. And some clever plot twists. At one point I found myself thinking ...the old west was a time period and a place ...there are movies made that transport you and envelope you into and with that world. This is the 80s movie version of that. Its costuming, characterization, visuals and sounds...what a treat.

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Haven't seen the revival yet, but I googled for reviews....and they are almost completely positive!

Encuentro likes this.
  25. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

The only two negatives I can think of is some weirdly inserted SJW piece towards the end, and the arc was a bit off...with a long build and a quick resolution. Other than that, I loved it.

I've read a couple of reviews which were quite glowy themselves and I could not disagree with them.