Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Clearwater is fine but thank goodness Bob wanted to go again. Fort Collins is absolutely insane.

2. bem

bem Forum Resident

It could well have been revised. For years the two disc CD was standard for bootleg releases. Now we have so much more. 6 cds for basement tapes/ 18 for the cutting edge. 9 for gospel Bob and 36 for live 1966. Personally I'd like a studio recording set and a live set but ill take whatever the put out.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Question is, how much of Bootleg Series 14 will overlap with Bootleg Series 5?

There will almost certainly be previously material, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DeeThomaz likes this.
  4. Absolutely!

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

More insane than the 1966 tour or less insane by how much?

I agree Fort Collins was insane, but so was the entire 1976 tour.

I showed a VHS of Clearwater to writer Paul Williams when he was our houseguest during the 1980 tour. Someone asked rhetorically why in the world would Dylan not release such a brilliant performance. Williams, who had not seen it before, had become emotional and answered "Because it's just too sweet. It's so generous. Sometimes he gives too much of himself and then he pulls back." He went into the bathroom to recover himself. Well, you know Paul.

6. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

There really doesn't have to. There are many 1975 performances in very good to great quality available already. Plus we don't know what's in Bob's archives either.

redsock, Jimmy B. and NYMets41 like this.
  7. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Shouldn’t the set have included the first confrontational shows in 79 with audience reaction?

Richard--W likes this.
  8. Dark Horse 77

It would've been nice. Imo, the San Diego bonus discs should've had the preaching instead of being cut.

redsock, NYMets41 and Richard--W like this.
  9. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Yes.

This is probably just me but I find the talking interesting the first time but then want to edit it out for just music.

With Steve Van Zant’s Release this past week, I ended up removing the files of .40 to several minutes of talking, after hearing them once.

I would have enjoyed The Beach Boys 50th more if I could edit out Mike Love’s statements.

It’s interesting to me but only once.

I took the 6 minute confession of Soringsteen’s infidelity out of a great song. Unfortunately since that affair, he does it in every performance. It’s scgreatvsong but....

I may be alone on this, though.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  10. Dark Horse 77

You're not alone. What they could've done like on Vol. 4 is put any tuning up/talking in the pre-track timing. I know before the final, apocalyptic Rolling Stone there's at least a minute of it.

NYMets41 likes this.
  11. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I wonder about PC pressure impacting this.

Best of both worlds is good editing. Have it as separate cuts and those who wish to can remove them.

Jimmy B. and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  12. But the entire 1976 tour was not captured on video. It's insane from an audio and video perspective. His performance on that stage, that afternoon in Colorado in 1976 was otherworldly.

NYMets41 likes this.
  13. JManPro

JManPro Well-Known Member

As a manic collector of concert video, I was honestly disappointed with the edits to the BS13 DVD. I also love it and so glad it got released. All that said, at this point I do not expect Dylan, Inc. to EVER release a full concert video. My guess is that there is too much loss of control in showing the ups and downs of any given night in entirety. It's kind of a shame, but I don't think it will ever happen for the RTR films, Supper Club, etc...

14. Dark Horse 77

Very much agreed. Remember, the deluxe version of last year's set had 10 cds and 1 dvd. The dvd is important in that they're now releasing full length performances with the audio parts.
    Let's just say it's 10 cds this time as well.

It very well could be:
    2 cd outtakes BOTT
    2 cd live 1975 performances
    2 cd outtakes Desire
    2 cd live 1976 performances

That still leaves 3 discs. I would hope they would include dvds with (gasp) Renaldo & Clara on disc one and both 1976 specials on the second dvd. Maybe there will be more live performances instead of outtakes.
    Again, pure speculation on my part, and we don't know what's in Bob's archives either.

15. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Do you think BOTT has pursues we haven’t heard? (New York Sessions lyrics are heart wrenching)

If so...

Wow. It could be special.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  16. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can’t help thinking it would be a huge mistake to combine these sessions. There’s no reall connection. It would be like putting the Down in the Groove and Oh Mercy sessions together.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  17. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Given its running time, Renaldo & Clara really needs to be split over two discs, especially if we’re talking about DVD, not Blu-ray. Four hours on one DVD would result in a very low bitrate.

18. Dark Horse 77

I agree, they are completely different animals linked mainly by The Rolling Thunder Revue. Maybe that's the thing that's going to be pushed with this perspective set. The documentary would certainly help that along.

19. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I'm not a drinker, but I definitely plan to buy a bottle of Bob Dylan's Whiskey and have a glass (straight up) while spinning In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning.

subtr likes this.
  20. That's absolutely it.Theyve worked out since Basement Tapes that a big percentage of the market for these is willing to pay for the bigger boxes.There isn't enough material in BOTT alone for one of these hence combining it with Desire and Rolling Thunder.
    Does that mean Street Legal and 78 tour will get a volume or will it be ignored?Either way this whole series has been a music miracle.

21. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Ugh I really hope they don't mess this up. There should be a BOTT standalone set with EVERYTHING available from the sessions & demos, a Desire & RTR deep-dive box (and throw in any 1977-78 demos too!), and a complete 1975-76 live set with all the extant concerts, a la the awesome Live 1966 cube.

Of course a combined set WOULD work, and it's probably what they're going to do, but I think they're making a mistake. Trouble No More has major faults (not enough 1980-81 studio material, the 1981 "secular" songs only being on Earls Court, just not enough of the material period, etc.), but it's still an awesome exploration into an important era of Dylan, and it's pretty darn cohesive. HOWEVER, 1974-1976 is other-level important in the Dylan story, as far as I'm concerned, and it fully deserves the treatment that 1965-to-Basements has gotten.

Percy Song and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  22. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

It's amazing to me how much difference there is between the '75 tour and the '76 tour, and from Clearwater to Fort Collins. Clearwater near puts me to sleep. But Fort Collins cooks. And yet I'll take the '75 material over all of it every time.

23. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Of course, I love both '66 and '76 - both are confrontational. I think the difference lies in the confrontation. In '66 he was confronting his audience. whereas in '76 he's really confronting himself.

I love the raggedness of '76 but, to my ears at least, there's something different about Fort Collins. Maybe its insanity tinged with world-weariness by that stage?

Lovely memory of PW - thank you for sharing that. That Clearwater video is wonderful. Whenever a new BS volume comes out, I often reflect on how earlier Dylan aficionados would have salivated over them, had they been around to hear them.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  24. That’s interesting. I like the Clearwater show and would relish having it in a complete box with all of the aforementioned music and video from 75-76. Fort Collins to me is one of the greatest live performances of any artist, on any stage, ever. And as much as Bob was on fire that night, so too was his amazing band. The audience seems almost stunned at what they’re witnessing before their eyes and ears when you catch a glance of them. Dear lord.