"The Real Royal Albert Hall 1966 Concert" vs "The Bootleg Series, Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live, 1966"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluerondo, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Thumbs Booze

Tom Thumbs Booze Forum Resident

I totally agree. The whole 26th acoustic set in my opinion is perfection on first listening and possibly the best of the tour, although Sheffield and Dublin are also highly regarded. The electric set on the other hand sounds a bit rough compared to Manchester which admittedly we have been familiar with for years even before BS 4. I'm just disappointed they didn't include a dvd of 'Eat the Document' plus extras with the box set. Why tease you with colour stills of footage on the cd sleeves and fail to include video? Tell me, Momma !!

Satchidananda and Tommyboy like this.
  2. Matty

Matty Senior Member

I finally bought the RAH set, and I agree that the acoustic set is a big improvement over the Manchester one. I've always had issues with the first (acoustic) disc of the Manchester concert; a couple of the performances I find acutely annoying. (I'm looking at you in particular, Mr. Tambourine Man--why is Bob spitting out your lyrics with such contempt, as if he hates the words he's written? And why is he playing such an awful, and endless, harmonica solo?) I'll likely never listen to the Manchester acoustic set again now that I have the RAH set.

I have a much harder time deciding between the electric sets. Maybe the Manchester one is slightly better, and of course it has the legendary "Judas!" bit; the recording is fuller, too, though the badly miked vocal on "Thin Man" is a bummer. But I do like the raw performance and sound of the RAH release--it somehow feels a bit more vintage and exciting than the Bootleg 4 recording.

Verdict: If I had to choose, I'd pick the "Real RAH" release. I'll be keeping the Bootleg 4 set, but mostly for sentimental and historic reasons; for this casual Dylanphile, the RAH set is all I need of Dylan-Live-In-1966.

quicksrt, laf848 and stewedandkeefed like this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Gee, I've always considered it a flawless epic set.

budwhite likes this.
  4. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I'd go along with the real RAH acoustic set being definitive. The version of 'Just Like A Woman' is just beautiful.

misteranderson likes this.
  5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Did anyone else have sibilance issues with the vinyl pressing of The Real Royal Albert Hall album? I spun the acoustic set on the day I bought it and it was very difficult to listen to. Every "sh" sound in the vocals was harsh and sibilant. I was so disappointed that I haven't even played the electric set yet.

6. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"Judas!" That's a pretty pivotal moment. Surely that guy didn't follow him around for the whole tour.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I just bought both shows (Bootleg Series 4 and Real Royal Albert Hall release).

Until I saw this thread I actually didn't know the thing about the bootleg RAH show being mislabeled and that BS4 RAH was actually Manchester- I guess that explains the quotes around "Royal Albert Hall" on BS4! :laugh:

I haven't listened to either of the two releases yet (they're on the way) but I'm looking forward to hearing them both as individual shows and also comparing and contrasting them.

8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Are you referring to the first or second night at RAH as I did not buy either but heard the first was good & then on the next and last night of the tour he was exhausted.
    Incidentally I love the acoustic set in Manchester so would buy an improvement on that if correctly identified.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  9. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

So the show on the 26th May was the one separately released as the REAL RAH Concert?? And is also included in the box...

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes

Kubricker likes this.
  11. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Listen to Sheffield 1966 Mr. Tambourine Man. It will transport you into an unknown dimension where time is scientifically immeasurable and reality does not exist.

Every 1966 show has a similar yet different trans spacial inter dimensional effect both in isolation and at the same time. Your understanding of the mechanics of the universe will be rewritten with a cosmic magnet anchored onto a subatomic bullet travelling faster than the speed of nothingness.

12. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Everything I said is true and can be proven:

Richard--W likes this.
  13. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

This is no more than the simple truth, and no less.

14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Don't forget the concert from Sydney, Australia 13 April 1966 was released
    separately, but only on vinyl. Easily obtained:

Bob Dylan - Live In Sydney 1966

Same setlist, very different vocal performance with a different energy and
    emphasis that falls in different places than either Manchester or Royal
    Albert Hall. That's three concerts from the 1966 tour released individually.

If only the 1965 tour were accorded the same respect.

15. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The acoustic set is beautiful. So much so that I haven't got to the electric set in the two years I've had the LPs.

All Down The Line likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.