1970s TV Movies - Does anyone air them anymore?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the 80s, they were all over the place in syndication but since then, not so much. Two reasons would be because of the switch over to tape from film and syndicators didn't bother to do transfers. The other reason is that local stations just don't run movies anymore, of any kind. A shame that they don't really air elsewhere, AFAIK.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No, because most movies run on cable and local TV stations want to run better (theatrical) movies. I don't think any of the retro TV stations run them even as filler.

3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

roku has ton of free channels with lots of 70's film

unclefred likes this.
  4. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

A lot of these popped up on $1.00 DVD's in the early days of that format, usually looking and sounding pretty awful.

5. James Slattery

TV movies? I have a roku but never use it.

6. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

The only one I can think of that still gets shown a lot is Brian's Song. Maybe there are a few others.

musicfan37 likes this.
  7. the pope ondine

yep, also youtube has a ton, I downloaded a bunch and play on my tv, quality varies ofcourse

Tim S likes this.
  8. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Svengoolie on MeTV on Saturday nights runs stuff like 'Terror From The Sky', 'Ants!' and 'Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo'.

Pinknik, Witchy Woman and troggy like this.
  9. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I wouldn't mind seeing "Gargoyles" again.

10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Aren't you the guy who's all over that "Lost TV" thread I started? Seems like you know far more about this subject than the rest of us.

As has already been pointed out, some notable TV movies are on YT, and others that had lapsed into PD were put on cheap DVDs in the aughts (IIRC by the Mill Creek company).

One reason for the lack of any old movies on TV itself is the movie lover's worst nightmare: the infomercial. This replaced late night old movies for most TV stations, although you never can tell what might pop up if the station can't sell the time: a few years ago I was up very late and saw my local station airing a PD copy of Ingmar Bergman's The Magician!

The Golden Age Of The TV Movie (roughly '69-'74) deserves a thread of its own. The descendant of Playhouse 90, the era produced a number of classics (Sole Survivor, Bad Ronald) before devolving into the Disease Of The Week.

Solaris, Vidiot and MarkTheShark like this.
  11. James Slattery

Under current copyright law, nothing produced from 1964 forward can be PD for 75 years. Many entities treat these movies as if they were PD because they assume no one cares enough to go after them, which in many instances they are correct. But unless there is no notice on the films, they may not be registered but could be at any time in the first 75 years after publication. At least that's my understanding.

12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

youtube has a shipload of them - I watch them occasionally when I'm in the mood for some cheese

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I love the TV movies made in the 1970's.

Why doesn't cable have a channel that airs all of these? That would be so wonderful.

Scott in DC likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

With all the networks commissioning series of TV Movies from various production houses in Hollywood, you could probably never assemble all the "packages" onto one station, even one of the retro-D2 stations. Too many rights issues to hammer out.

15. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I would love to see them released on DVD/Blu-Ray.
    Sarah T. : Portrait Of An Alcholholic (Linda Blair)
    Young Love, First Love (Valerie Bertinelli)
    Poor Devil (Sammy Davis Jr.)
    Lace/Lace II (Phoebe Cates)
    Something For Joey (Marc Singer)
    Eric (John Savage)

16. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

I'm not sure how far spread this is, but in Philly if you have a "digital converter box" one of the broadcast channels is called "Comet", and they just constantly rock old b movies from the 50s to 80s.

Pinknik likes this.
  17. the pope ondine

just watched Love Hate Love 1971 stalker m-f-t movie on yt. with ryan O'Neal and Lesley ann warren. not too bad for cheese

ps I love the disaster film rip offs they used to do are great cheese. a lot on youtube

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I would like to have the very first one(IIRC) "My Sweet Charlie" starring Patty Duke and Al Freeman Jr.
    So good that it was also the first one re-released to theaters

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Also "The Execution Of Private Slovic" starring Martin Sheen. A true story that still infuriates me to this day.
    One other that I DO have on an MPI DVD is "The Missiles Of October" starring William Devane and Sheen.

Borgia and the pope ondine like this.
  20. the pope ondine

damn that looks good

21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I was sobbing at the end.

22. the pope ondine

they have the full one up on yt, 10 part chunks - ill give it a watch thanks.

oops, first part has been blocked by nbc, dammit

23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The Execution of Private Slovik, 40 Years Later - Los Angeles Review of Books
    Another great idea would be a sequel following his handicapped widow learning eight years later what actually happened to her husband, and almost 40 years of being harshly rejected and ignored as she limped around the halls of congress begging for justice that never came. Antoinette was left destitute and broken, God bless her. I cried when she finally went to join Eddie. She never deserved what happened to her.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  24. the pope ondine

I saw that one, fantastic

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Would love to see By Dawn's Early Light again on tv. Good enough for the cinema.

Ghostworld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.