Cd’s when are they obsolete ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

At the moment there is a cassette revival. It's small but it's there. Besides, cassettes were never gone in certain scenes. Never underestimate nostalgia:evil:

Oh.... and something one can easily forget on planet SH is that CD is still the dominant physical format. I was shocked when I saw a 2017 (German) statistic and learned that CDs are selling ten times more than vinyl. In Germany at least.

ClassicalCD and Robert C like this.
  2. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Hard drives crash and streaming websites are not permanent
    plus it wont take much for a government to turn off your internet service in your country if they wish

stop these problems then maybe MAYBE we will see the possibility of cd's or any media becoming obsolete

3. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Hard drives should be backupped, anyway. Agreed that streaming's worse problem are tracks and albums who disappear/reappear. That is a major drag.

If one lives in North Korea, of course.

4. The last CD album I ordered had a flac/WAV download with it. There wasnt even a need for the cd other than something to hold and look at. I can load up a ton of albums on portable device in cd quality and not have to carry a cd case. That's progress.

At any rate, I prefer to buy records most the time.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  5. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

When CDs are gone, I will enjoy my vinyl collection. I own most of my music on CD, but own most of my favourites in both formats.

6. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

They are obsolete when there is no longer a way to play them.Until then just enjoy cds.

7. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Not intended to you but the same who say that only a small number of people care about sq/mastering should be aware that an even smaller number of people backup their hard drives.
    But in the end downloaded/ripped music is the least used music format.

8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

My hard drives are backed up . . . on my CDs.

. . . and on other HDs.

Dynamic Ranger and Tom Fediuk like this.
  9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

BINGO!

steveharris likes this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I overheard my local store tell a customer they are not allowed to buy them anymore because they are not selling. They built up quite a cassette selection though! I saw no reason why they should come back, and it looks like the comeback may have stalled.

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The store must have too many of the wrong CDs. CDs that sell are either rare, OOP, often with unique masterings or new, soon to be OOP, with unique masterings. What doesn't sell is alternative CDs from the late 80s to early 00s, although there are exceptions, and run of the mill back catalog CDs. Your Led Zeppelin CDs are not going to be worth much, although you will probably do ok with some John Cale. The problem is that most people have the former and not the latter.

edit: a case in point would be Trout Mask Replica, which is now OOP on CD. Even my local store shifted their overpriced Reprise version. The remastered version would have gone even quicker. I took their CSN Allies, which has to be one of my best purchases.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    DTK likes this.
  12. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident

The CD format was invented for a number of reasons, which are still relevant today. Vinyl gets worn out with multiple plays, and you can't take it with you. Cassettes wear out, and can get mangled in a deck. Most pre-recorded tapes are high speed copies and sound terrible. I think the vinyl and cassette resurgence is just a silly millennial trendy thing. My 17 year old niece wanted records only because it's "cool" or she heard they "sound better" yet she asks for vinyl of current bands that record to pro-tools and thus the records are digitally sourced. She listens to them on a POS Crosley record player with a plastic stylus. How could that possibly sound better than a CD which is probably half the cost of the Vinyl???? I've got thousands of CDs, some of which are over 30 years old. They still play like new today, and always will as long as I take care of them. Most hard drives last only a few years. CDs sound great, I like having the physical copy, and I like to look at the liner notes while I listen. I don't like downloads because they are lossy and brickwall mastered to be LOUD for crappy earbuds. CD's rule! I could care less about whatever is "in" right now, I listen to what actually sounds good!

13. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

CDs are obsolete when there's no-one to listen to them anymore - or nothing to play them on.

14. Massproductions

[QU
    sadly it's true, the general public doesn't have very good ears and does not care. A 128 mbit MP3 file sounds fine to them. Sirrus radio sounds fine to them. I can't understand why they don't notice it sounds horrible. Deaf??

klockwerk likes this.
  15. Massproductions

if you take care of it, it's always new! Remember, it's played with a laser :) There's no reason for a CD to get scratched if you handle them right and store them right. Anyone who scratches up a CD should have them taken away from them :)

16. Massproductions

Bell bottoms came back in style and they went away again :p

17. Massproductions

Really? Have you ever seen all the steps involved in pressing records? It's not easy at all. The CD pressing process developed from vinyl pressing. Turntables have far more parts to break and wear out than a CD player. You have to replace the stylus on a turntable when it wears out. Records need to be cleaned, blah blah. You don't have to do any of that nonsense with a CD.

18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

No, @Maggie is correct. The process required to encode and decode mechanical formats (such as grooved media) is contained within the medium. The production and reproduction of the media can be deduced simply by inspecting the media itself. This is not the case with optical disc media.

nosliw, zongo and Maggie like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I known people who’ve re-bought a CD because the first one ‘wore out’. How?!

I’ve got discs from 1984 that could pass for new. If they had a barcode, of course.:)

20. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

This whole 'CD's dying out' thing baffles me. The stores still stock them. I know that a huge proportion of the record-buying public don't go for a physical product anymore and I just think that's sad. Without sales and revenue from them, bands are going to die out. Streaming is killing music.

The return of cassettes is just nostalgia and The Emperor's New Clothes. They are awkward and fragile.

21. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

what he said

22. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Good. The format was crap to start with. I used to buy titles back in the day and it was frustrating to say the least. CDs are perfect compared to cassette.

Jrr likes this.
  23. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Thankfully

24. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

CDs are considered unhip and uncool, but I couldn't care less.

RiRiIII and DME1061 like this.
  25. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Many of them have never really heard live instruments. They either see elaborate choreography with lip-Syncing or they go to hear a DJ mix tunes. So what is their yardstick to measure good sound?

As for vinyl coolnesss trumps logic everytime. LPs do sound better but not on a Crosly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.