Opinions on Floorstanding Speakers - Budget $4K

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

Room size: 25 x 15 x 8.5, with a 11 x 11 x 8.5 adjacent open space attached. So main listening "square" 3200 cu ft.

Source: Will be driving the speakers with a Parasound A21 amp, with a P5 preamp. HT AVR is Denon x7200Wa. So power won't be an issue even down to 4ohm, hard to drive speakers.

Budget:
    $4K --- if I go used that will fetch some pretty good mid-fi speakers :)

What I have now: The mains / fronts in my system are Klipsch RP-280FA. Bought them a couple of years ago with HT / movies as top priority, always planned on upgrading for 2 channel / music - now it's time. The 280's are actually very good for music, but for critical listening, can be light on the midrange, looking for more refinements in sound that more $$ typically brings! BTW, these 280's, with the Atmos module up top, are GREAT for movies... it is going to be tough to part with them for that reason, but 2 channel music is just more important to me.

What I have auditioned recently: Spent some time listening to B&W 703's and 702's, also some Logan Motion 60's, ESL's, also the Elac (can't recall the model) at BB. They had some Def Techs also, but not looking for a powered speaker in general --- although I know some really like the Golden Ear Tritons.

Of course, auditioning potential is slim locally. We don't have a ton of specialty audio shops in my area...

Music preferences: Most everything. I probably have an equal distribution of classical / jazz / rock / hard rock / folk / instrumental like classical guitar, piano / you name it, I listen to it. I even found a nice box set of Medieval music (Argo pressing) that I like :), and a really cool Russian folk music LP. Yeah, one of those guys...

Format: In my listening room, music delivery is 95% LP / Turntable. I have SACD but I am a vinyl... well, addict!! Phono stages - many, and upgrading now to tubes in the $2k, but also will be auditioning SS in the same price range. Realize I will ultimately get the best stage for my setup, speakers first though.

Experience level: I have been into audio for a long time - bought my first TT in 1975, have owned probably 30 since then. Speakers - I own MANY speakers now, I have other setups, including my shop. I have owned and sold many speakers in my life.... but this will mark the high water mark for budget / quality. I have always been more "mid-fi" than "hi-fi" and I look at $4K as still "mif-fi" :) YMMV.

What are under consideration:
    Maybe some used B&W 804's D2's or earlier, or S / Nautilus. A pair of 804 D2's just sold on AudioMart for $4k - they were nice. The B&W 804's intrigue me because of their perceived high quality and refined soundstage. Also open to used Vander 3a's, GE Triton's. The Vander footprint causes some complication for my space being wider than they are deep...

New opens a few doors, like maybe some Tekton Electron's (DI's too big) -- I have talked with the owner and he is building the first rev of what he is calling the Electron SE (like the DI SE).

Also new, Klipsch Forte iii's are getting some good reviews. Cornwalls of course, but again the footprint --- they are very wide.

There are just so many good options out there with a $4K budget. I would like to keep it under 100 lbs, and the wider they get the more I will have considerations on how to fit them in.

Anyway, interested to hear others opinions. My mind is an open book at this point... :)

punkmusick likes this.
  2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Maybe the ProAc Response DT8?

3. mastercheif

mastercheif Forum Resident

Used (or new) GoldenEar Triton 1's, New GoldenEar Triton 2, Monitor Silver 500.

Mike from NYC, ggjjr and paddycook like this.
  4. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Your listening space dimensions are pretty close to mine-I also have an adjacent space to the left, our dining area, and my Vandersteen 2ce Sig II's sound very nice in this space. I'm personally a huge fan of the Vandersteen house sound, and will be upgrading to the Treo CT when funds permit.

I was impressed with Focal Aria when I heard them at shows-I listened to both the 936 and the larger 948 (the 948 was powered by Parasound the big Parasound mono amps, as I recall). Both sounded very balanced and musical to my ear, and they are beautiful speakers to look at, too. The 936 is at the top end of your budget.

The Triton speakers are clear winners-I have been impressed with every model I heard. The new Elac Adiante towers sounded great from a brief listen, although at $5k a pair that breaks your budget. I have heard the Tekton speakers at shows on a couple of occasions-nice enough sounding, but they didn't really engage me listening to familiar tracks. Salk Sound is a brand worth considering-mail order only, but I've been impressed with them on the few occasions I've heard them (again, at shows-primarily Rocky Mountain Audio Fest).

Another great option is the Sonus Faber Venere S, at the top of the price range for a pair.

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

There is a pair of Spendor D7s on A/G for your price. - Great synergy with your amplification. It will be tough to beat this. So much better than the run of the mill GEs, KEFs, MAs, B&Ws, etc.

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Ohm Walsh Talls.

Tawaun A Williams and Dave like this.
  7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I was talking on another thread and someone was explaining why bookshelf speakers may deliver a better soundstage because the sound comes (almost) from one point in space each side. What do you think of that? Did you consider that while choosing floorstanding?

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Absolutely not true with quality speakers. The better designs have the drivers that are playing directional frequencies near the top of the enclosure. The enclosure simply adds cabinet volume for deeper bass.

SandAndGlass, DLD, Dave and 3 others like this.
  9. John

John Senior Member

I would check out the Tektons like you mentioned. A longtime audio friend just moved on from Maggie 0.7s to the Sigma OB and really likes them. I will be visiting him to take a listen in the coming weeks, they look very interesting.

10. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

A couple of months ago I purchased a pair of Dynaudio Excite x38's to replace my B&W 683 S2's. The X38's blow the B&W's out off the water in every way.

I listen to all types of music, jazz, alternative, rock and the x38's handle every type of music extremity well

Highly recommended!!

warp2600 likes this.
  11. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Sierra Raal Towers

Focal Aria 936

SandAndGlass and johnnypaddock like this.
  12. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I've owned the Raal towers. I'd take the Ohm's or the Proac's over them hands down. But tastes vary.

13. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I know Eric has gone on to new and cool things, but a pair of Pendragons and two grand for records is a pretty good strategy IMO.

14. Helom

Helom Forum member

This can be the case when considering speakers in the same price range, especially where cheap floorstanders are concerned. Cheap floorstanders often have inadequate bracing that results in large vibrating surfaces that muddy up the midrange frequencies. They may also have cheaper drivers because more of the budget is allocated to the larger cabinet. So within the same model series, the floorstander may be the better choice, but if only within the same price, I'd go with the standmounts in most cases.

punkmusick likes this.
  15. Helom

Helom Forum member

I second Avanti's recommendation for used D7s. If they're better than the A4s I've heard (and they should be), then they're a world class speaker that will compete with some of the very best.

16. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Consider staying with Klipsch and going with the KI-396-SMA-II that I own, they're a whole different ballgame from the RP-280FA.

cmndrums likes this.
  17. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

I recently was looking for speakers in the same price range. My options to audition were limited to the Martin Logan ESL-X, B&W 702, and demo models of Joseph Audio Profiles and Devore Fidelity Gibbon 88's. I liked the B&W's over the ML's as I thought the ESL-X's were too bright for me. Then I listened to the Profiles vs. the Gibbons and chose the Gibbons as I liked their bass response over the Profiles. VERY happy with the Gibbons.

YMMV. Good luck with your decision! :righton:

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  18. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

It's really hard to beat a set of used Revel F208s for $4,000.

Mike from NYC and timind like this.
  19. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I know you have given the Sierra-2 high praise. Are you not as fond of the towers?

20. valfy

valfy Active Member

Another vote for Spendor D7's. Magnificent speakers .

21. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I have recently bought a pair of PMC Twenty5.23 speakers and they are just incredible.

Like you I have an eclectic musical taste, especially British folk music, but everything from classical to rock.
    I listen to 99%+ vinyl.

The retail price in the UK is £3095, which equates to $4200. I managed to purchase mine ex-demo for £2300.

Beautifully made, and more importantly fabulous sound, particularly midrange and vocals, as summed up perfectly in the "What HiFi" review below

Definitely worth considering, IMHO.

Good luck in whatever you decide on.

twenty5.23 | PMC Loudspeakers

PMC Twenty5.23 review

Tawaun A Williams and Dennis0675 like this.
  22. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

before buying the Forte 3, try them. not hifi imo

in the 4k range, ATC SCM40, Harbeth SHL5 plus, Audio Note AN-E would be on my short list.

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  23. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

What do you mean by this? It’s not a technical sound characteristic.

24. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I don't think they are good a value at $2500 (or so) as the 2's are at $1500. They are both very good speakers, no doubt. I would rather have a pair of 2's and a sub for the money. But again, tastes vary.

mike catucci and bruce2 like this.
  25. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I have a room about that size. I have Axiom M100v4. 85 lbs. each. Also have KEF iQ90 running 2.0 (A+B). Sounds really good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.