Nick Drake

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Hey @lemonade kid I've just managed to get a used copy of Scott Appel's 'Nine Of Swords' CD for $14 inc. shipping, when I looked on Amazon the cheapest was $34 not including shipping and import tax to the UK. Looking forward to listening the album in full, those Nick Drake tracks are good.

I've been a fan of Nick Drake's music since the late '70's when I got the Island 'Fruit Tree' box. It's nice to see Nick's music being appreciated by so many people the world over in these times. 'Tis a sad tale when we look at Nick's life but his music lives on and if in some way it's because of an automobile ad who cares?

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Nice. Good find. PM me if you'd like a download of his even rarer "Parhelion". It has the best tracks INHO on the Brittle Days, Nick Drake tribute album. Also a number of really fine original tracks.

Hazy Jane..Scott plays some pretty fine guitar too (Davy Graham was his mentor)

He also covers these on "Parhelion": Road and From The Morning.

xilef regnu likes this.
  3. lemonade kid

Hers is a full listen to Parhelion. For anyone interested...

xilef regnu likes this.
  4. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Everything about Nick Drake seems so long ago, he's like a 19th century figure to me now

Desolation Row and Joti Cover like this.
  5. lemonade kid

Ahhh...it was a century ago, after all.

;)

Joti Cover and sekaer like this.
  6. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Reading up on him now. Thanks.

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Had this since the late -'90s. His job on "Hazey Jane" is worth the price of admission, IMO; sounds like a a visit from an old friend.

Next stop - Australia, and a tribute album called, Jeremy Flies; MUCH more fulfilling than Brittle Days.
    Northern Sky

8. Dillydipper

Oh, and...HOLEE CRAP...! :eek:

Look what I just found, digging for Joy & Lara...!

There is hope for our educational system after all.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Think there's a market for another vinyl box set.

10. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Not sure about the date of the advert referred to, that may have been the '00s but Nick's reputation was definitely building in the '90s thanks to a slowly emerging appreciation of his music including two BBC Radio documentaries (one on R2 another on R4).

A friend of mine had been telling me to listen to Nick's stuff for a number of years prior to hearing the first of those documentaries but I just kept parking the idea until inspired to listen to the 1 hour special narrated by Danny Thompson. I had read bits about Nick for something like 20 years being vaguely aware of him without ever earing a note of his music other than One of These Things First which was on a tape that my friend had done for me I guess around 1991. A few years after that Mojo did one of the first extensive pieces on him as I recall - putting him on the cover - but still I wavered.

But it was hearing that R2 documentary that changed it for me. It wasn't just the music - it was his story and how the two seemed intertwined. I found the whole thing captivating and received the 3 original albums as part of my Christmas presents that year. Since then of course, Books, more retrospectives, a TV documentary and a succession of appearances in film soundtracks have taken Nick's profile to ever increasing heights.

Its reached the stage though that it seems unlikely there will be anything new released in the future for fear that this could actually dent his legacy - unless of course some more lost studio recordings surface of sufficient quality.

lemonade kid and Desolation Row like this.
  11. lemonade kid

Wonderful. Is it released?--sounds fantastic.

12. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

Plenty!
    Check out the "Remembered For A While" book - it has the lyrics for a whole bunch of songs that he didn't live to record.

Desolation Row and lemonade kid like this.
  13. manicpopthrill

It's certainly on my to-do list to read that book. Had he written down the music as well, or were these tunes that died with him?

14. alexpop

No Nick Drake -Martin guitar signature model yet ?

Fender Relic and Joti Cover like this.
  15. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

No, unfortunately just the lyrics.

16. manicpopthrill

Agreed about the early 90s being a time of renewed interest in Drake. His name was getting dropped regularly. That's when I first became aware of him. David Dye (NPR's World Cafe) was playing something by Drake nearly every week during that period.

17. Dillydipper

Yes. In Australia. On an album called Jeremy Flies, along with ernest covers from about 10 other local artists. There's also a double album version, with extra cuts by the same artists as on Disc 1.

18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

On the radio just now I heard "Time Has Told Me" being performed by none other than - Elton John. Interesting, to say the least. I'd have to hear it again to judge it fully. My initial impression is that Elton's singing and piano were fine, but they inserted a bit too much guitar, making it sound like a rock number instead of a folk song.

19. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Yeah, Martin gives out signature models like fireman give out candy at local parades. Gotta have a ND-000-28 or ND-D-28.

lemonade kid likes this.
  20. jneilnyc

jneilnyc Free Range Responder

21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Having a quick look through that thread, which by the way is now closed, I think this refers to something else entirely from the EJ Nick Drake covers. I believe these are the demos for the Regimental Sergeant Zippo album, which never got to the release stage. I learned about this from the Elton John podcast which is here:

I Guess That's Why They Call It The Elton John Podcast

Once again, though, I think the Nick Drake covers are completely separate and I have not heard them mentioned on the EJ podcast.

22. jneilnyc

jneilnyc Free Range Responder

23. alexpop

Did Nick get money from Island when he was alive, advance or something. Musicians usual incentive is to get record company/publishing advance ..buy better instrument?

24. I believe he got a small retainer for a time through Joe Boyd. I'm not sure whether it was through Island records.

Desolation Row likes this.
  25. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

When putting together the "Remembered For A While" book from the Drake family archives, the compilers found a handwritten tracklisting and lyrics for the fourth album. The A-Side was the five tracks recorded in his last 1974 session, the session that would have produced the B-side, however, never occurred, so we have five tracks that were never recorded yet do have complete lyrics printed in the book.

It's said that the reason for lack of knowledge of this material is that Nick either did not make home demos at this point or he threw the tapes away out of not feeling they were good enough. Unfortunately he also did not make manuscripts of them since of course at this point his music was entirely done solo without orchestrations so he had no need to teach them to other musicians.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.