Parks Audio Puffin DSP Phono Pre

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 5, 2018.

1. ranch 22b

ranch 22b Forum Resident

Wow, interesting stuff. I'll have to read up further on DSP.

Thanks for the explanation, Davey.

2. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

As someone who owns a Budgie I'm super happy with (and vocally so), I'm trying to think of a reason why I wouldn't want this. Old mono records, 78s, and so on and so on that I can tweak to my heart's delight, and the fussy amp I have where the analog never sounds quite right... This is a great choice for someone who just wants to be able to adjust their stuff to be listenable. I'd bet there's probably some pop and tick functionality that could be plugged in there too.

That said, it wouldn't replace my Budgie for the main setup, but what I have isn't limited to stereo microgroove records that I'm ok playing with an AT-150...

Dan Steele likes this.
  3. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Seems like a solid idea, but I don't think I want any dsp in my turntable circuit. Kind of defeats the point right?

AidanB, RC2257, rockness87 and 3 others like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

DSP has been used for a long time. Remember stuff like Dolby Pro-Logic? That was used via DSP.

5. Strat-Mangler

Kind of, maybe. For instance, I'm all for the SugarCube from Sweet Vinyl to remove pops and crackle which does convert the signal but image having those two in a chain.

The signal would be converted from analog to digital, then modified, then converted back to analog, passed onto the SC-1 or 2, then converted to digital, modified, then converted to analog again. lol!

SandAndGlass and SirMarc like this.
  6. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

That being said, if he can take this dsp and make my dac sound more like my turntable, I'm all in

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Sounds like fun lol

8. Strat-Mangler

Should throw in a digital EQ too. Then put it through an AVR and choose anything but True Stereo. That'd be 4 A/D and then D/A cycles. Wonder how it'd sound after going through all that. :D

SirMarc likes this.
  9. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

I have a budgie too, and it’s ain't going anywhere anytime soon (it sounds way to good). I'll admit though, I’m def curious to see/hear this thing in action (although for over $500cdn I likely won't be trying it right now).

I can‘t say I personally love the idea of having a analog based rig and throwing a dsp into the mix. But I do like the MC options for sure

Dr Jackson likes this.
  10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

This is straight from left field. I don't get it, except possibly for a heavy 78 rpm collector.

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

DSP used for the RIAA equilization circuit may have some sonic advantages over passive circuitry. i would be more concerned about what appears to be a very light power supply and analog delivery section.

recstar24 and Dennis0675 like this.
  12. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Best of luck to Shannon.

As to me - I will be hunting for a used Budgie Hybrid, I guess.

Kristofa, Strat-Mangler and Seafinch like this.
  13. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Glad I grabbed my Hybrid when I did

Strat-Mangler and Seafinch like this.
  14. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Me too

15. Helom

Helom Forum member

Looks as though the Puffin can also function as a sort of Fozgometer. :shh:

16. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I certainly look forward to some reviews. It appears that this is some sort of preamp for multiple sources, but there is only one set of RCA inputs?

So many different options is fun, but I just—successfully—cut out DSP and tone controls from my analog chain. I am wary of placing anything back into that chain.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

True Dat. I have no skin in this game, but if the actual designer brings out a new product and discontinues his well-loved prior phono pre's, I think it's safe to say he thinks the new one sounds better.

Kristofa likes this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

Or they're easier/faster to build and/or the profit margin is higher. There can be other reasons.

RC2257 and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

there is a "tube" setting on the box which (I assume) adds some second order harmonic "distortion" that could sound just like tubes- as referenced in this new article about a "blender" device.
    not sure how the Parks device sounds but it could be somewhat revolutionary.

Katz's Corner Episode 25: Adventures in Distortion

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Lost me at DSP. All analog, all tube, all the time. OK, I have a few JFETs in my system but still.

21. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

The sheer amount, and ease of adjustments looks amazing. But I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around having DSP in the analog side of the system, even though I embrace it on the digital side of my system. It will be interesting to read buyer's impressions.

It would be sweet not to have to mess with loading plugs or micro switches that are almost always hard to get at.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Nice, I missed that. Doesn't that cost about $200 on its own?

Also, I just got a lovely personal email from Shannon saying he is waiting on some packing materials and will ship the Puffin on the 14th.

RDriftwood, Kristofa and 33na3rd like this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

My VTL phonostage is one of my favorite bit of equipment but I have to remove more than ten screws to open the case to change the loading and gain. For a guy that likes to changes carts, its super annoying.

24. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I would reeeeally like to try one

jimbutsu likes this.
  25. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

THIS!

SandAndGlass likes this.