Black Crowes Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Interpolantics, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident Thread Starter

Always liked the Black Crowes but have never really delved into their catalogue. Plan on making myself a Spotify playlist. If anyone has any recommendations it would be great!

ARK and J_D__ like this.
  2. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

IMO Warpaint and Amorica are great LPs
    Pick any songs of these LPs

3. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

I'm a Mark Ford fan when it comes to the Crowes. Amorica and Southern Harmony are must haves, IMO.

4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I'm not really a fan, but there are some eternal classics on Amorica. "Descending" and "Wiser Time" for me.

5. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

I think you should listen to Southern Harmony and Musical Companion in its entirety. It's my favorite Crowes album by far.

Micah, Ro-Go, brentolie and 23 others like this.
  6. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Throw the first four albums (Shake Your Moneymaker, Southern Harmony & Musical Companion, Amorica, & Three Snakes and One Charm) into a playlist & shuffle. There are arguably only a few songs you'll want to skip, and it's the Crowes in a nutshell. If you're into what you hear anywhere in there, then check out By Your Side & Lions in a playlist, and Warpaint & Before the Frost...Until the Freeze in another. Divides up the eras nicely, and you can explore what you like best.

7. theanswer337

theanswer337 Forum Resident

Everything.
    Each album offers it's own unique signature.
    A damn shame Chris and Rich can't get it together. A phenomenal band and great live.

8. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I second this emotion. Amorica is their crowning achievement in my view, but it will take a few listens to really sink in. I enjoy just about all of their catalog, but Amorica and The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion are, by far, their two best albums as I see it. The latter is a bit more accessible than the former, although not quite as consistently superb.

9. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Fullbug likes this.
  10. auto

auto Forum Resident

Amorica.

SonicBob and Fullbug like this.
  11. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

Amorica, southern harmony and before the frost

Rockin' Robby and Canadacrowe like this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

to me all of the bands albums are a must hear

daltieri, laf848 and Clanceman like this.
  13. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

This is the correct answer. Don't bother with a playlist. Listen to the first 4. All of them are terrific. They define the Black Crowes. If you dig it, proceed to the rest of the catalog. There are good tunes on all of the rest of the albums, but none are nearly as satisfying as the first 4.

Smackswell, Mr Mojo, clhboa and 2 others like this.
  14. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

The first 3 - all killer. It went slightly pear shaped, for me, after that.

Smackswell and Christopher B like this.
  15. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Amorica is dirge-y and insufferable

16. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Love all of their studio albums (including Lost Crowes) to varying degrees, and wouldn't want to be without any of them.

laf848 and jammincrowe like this.
  17. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Southern Harmony is their classic imo - unbeatable.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The first 2 albums are the best.

905 and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Southern Harmony is their best record, IMO. The first record has 'the hits,' but the second is really when the band found their confidence and groove after being on the road for a long period of time. I'd go with Amorica next, then By Your Side, a controversial but underrated slab of focused, high-energy rock n' roll that a lot of fans unfairly overlook.

There's also a compilation of their 1990-99 singles that should still be on streaming services that is a pretty solid overview of their best decade, it's as good a place to start as any.

I'd skip the reunion-era albums until you've gone through everything from the 90's. Opinions differ, but I find the songwriting pretty unremarkable and the rock n' roll quotient minimal.

20. eflatminor

Indeed they were great live. Saw them several times at the Beacon in NYC (I want to say '96?). I also saw them when I was living in the UK, once at Wembley and another time when they did an acoustic set in a small bar venue. I can't recall the name of the venue nor the year but I'd guess late 90s/early 2000s. Not all members of the band where there that day, but it was such a fun show up close and personal like that. Anyone remember that gig?

mikedifr0923 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

100% agree!

ceddy10165 likes this.
  22. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Either of these maybe?

22 February 1997
    Garage - Early Show
    London, England
    [UK]

She Talks To Angels
    Torn And Frayed
    Better When You're Not Alone
    Spider In The Sugar Bowl Blues -> Jam ->
    Nonfiction
    Bring On, Bring On
    Good Friday
    Oh Sister
    Thunderstorm 6:54 PM
    Share The Ride (traditional blues style-1st & only)
    The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
    Jealous Again
    - encore -
    Hot Burrito #1
    Hot Burrito #2

22 February 1997
    Garage - Late Show
    London, England
    [UK]

Remedy
    Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye
    Darling Of The Underground Press
    Ballad In Urgency ->
    Wiser Time
    Cursed Diamond
    He Was A Friend Of Mine
    Descending
    Willin'
    Downtown Money Waster
    How Much For Your Wings? -> Space Jam ->
    Hard To Handle
    - encore -
    She
    Girl From North Country

• All-Acoustic performances

23. eflatminor

That's it! I would have seen the early show. I remember them doing 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down'. Wonderful!

24. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Wow. I would never associate those two words with Amorica. It's a lot of things, but not those! What we've come to accept as "Tall" is unfocused, strangely recorded, and self-indulgent (I still love it), but Amorica is a hard-edged, focused distillation of all that band was capable of at that time.

Here's why I'd recommend checking out all eras of Crowes:
    I was watching the Koln 11/92 show that was professionally filmed for European TV broadcast. It's on YouTube, and it's a great document of Southern Harmony Crowes at the peak of their popularity. But it also struck me that at that time, these guys were nowhere as near proficient at their respective instruments as they would be later on. They rocked, they jammed, it's great, but 2005 shows for instance are better played, if not as much fun. It's almost as if the early Crowes wrote songs so good, they couldn't even play them yet. Therefore, when you check out the whole ride, you get the whole picture, which is worth taking in. I bet people who only like the first few would really enjoy the last few albums if they gave them a chance.

25. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Go for these:

Southern Harmony And Musical Companion (1992) - with Marc Ford

amorica (1994) - with Marc Ford

Three Snakes And One Charm (1996) - with Marc Ford

Band (1997) released on the 2CD set Lost Crowes (archival release) - with Marc Ford

Shake Your Money Maker (1990)

The rest of the albums, By Your Side; Lions; Warpaint; After The Frost/Before The Freeze all have their moments here and there but they are spotty and weak compared to the titles above.

The years of 1992 - 1997 were the best in terms of songwriting and musicianship that hasn't been equaled in recorded album output by this band since then. What a band they were in those years! In my opinion they were the best then.

This 1992-1997 found the band with Marc Ford (guitar) and Eddie Harsch (keys) augmenting the band nicely together. Marc left in 1997 and came back briefly in 2005-06 to melt faces once again and Eddie stayed on until his departure in 2006.

Then in 1999 - 2000 it got a little interesting with the Crowes backing Jimmy Page for some Page/Crowes shows. The band sounded great playing Zeppelin! By this time Marc Ford had been replaced by Audley Freed. Audley was great but it wasn't the same without Marc Ford.

Get yourself some live shows from the 1992 - 1997 years too. www.liveblackrowes.com is also a good resource in collecting shows from 1996 - 2001 (though every show isn't available).

It was a great band and special too during those Marc Ford years.

thxphotog, clhboa, budwhite and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.