Avengers: Infinity War

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I guess that's where they're different in that "Iron Man" and/or "Cap'n America" could then be relegated roles to someone else - as has happened in the comics.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

3. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

If any of the original 5 are going to bite it, sadly I think it's going to be Cap. Didn't Steve Rogers die a few times in the comic book? He's a super soldier so he can always be brought back if needed. Plus there's Bucky waiting in the wings. I don't think they will do a Bucky movie (Sebastian Stan is curiously uncharismatic) but if they need a Cap cameo going forward, I'm guessing he will pop up.

Tony and Pepper will probably be put through hell but it will all work out in the end and Tony will retire from active duty.

Thor and Hulk, I think, will stick around. Maybe not in anymore solo movies (not sure we need another Thor movie) but these guys could pop up anywhere. Thor and the Guardians was a highlight of Infinity Wars, so who knows?

I'd love to see Marvel and Fiege put their creative energy into making a really good Fantastic Four movie. That will be no small feat. Their absence from the MCU is glaring.

4. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

Sorry, but you quoted me as saying "Kind of weird how the Guardians of the Galaxy were in the movie".
    When what I actually posted was "Kind of weird how the Guardians of the Galaxy were in the movie more than a lot of the actual Avengers!"
    Big difference.

5. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

I think the fact that another Guardians of the Galaxy movie is in the works is a dead giveaway that all the characters Thanos wiped out when he got the final stone will not stay dead for long. It's not like they can base the whole movie around Rocket the Raccoon.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Ah, I see. Apologies, that was a mistake.

mike's beard likes this.
  7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Wouldn't it be gutsy though just to kill them all off, wipe the slate clean and start with (mostly) new characters? I know people have been reading comics with these people in for 60 odd years (more for the likes of Cap) but in the film world people may get bored with the same people. And actors getting old is a problem for films that it isn't for the comics.

8. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

As i said earlier, baring some 11th hour reversal of Chris Evans decision to not re-up after Avengers 4, Steve Rogers is guaranteed to die in part two. It thematically makes sense. If this is truely an ending of a story, then Caps final sacrifice is a logical ending, because when one rewatches the MCU movies until now, you eventually realize the main protagonist of this series of films is Captain America.

Yeah, Iron Man and Tony Stark may be the anchor and in to the universe, but Caps WW 2 adventures pretty much started the chain of events leading to the formation of the Avengers.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

The thing is, these studios are primarily driven by the bottom line. If the return on a Cap or Iron Man or any other character's movie is potentially large, it'll likely get made regardless of what happened in IW.

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

To be fair they have still not said what the title is for the next film and it was a given that it would be 'Part 2' - some people did think they would finish the Thanos story in the first film and the next one would be something else, so it was never a given IW would end like it did.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

But they can only make so many and they all seem to be doing well. For example who would want a Iron Man 4 over Black Panther? Whatever they make seems to do the business so it makes more sense to build the 'brand' by featuring other great people from the comics. It's not like DC having to rely on Batman to generate some revenue.

12. Bobby Buckshot

I don't know this but I'm assuming they do a fair share of market research. Then there's the negotiations, availability of a viable script, etc that play into these decisions. What you & I want as adult fans I assume to be back burner stuff. What's going to sell tickets, sell toys, video games, and other merch is much more of a driver.

13. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Funny you say that. I was in the bank last week and a little four year old boy was tearing around in a full Cap costume and his dad was bemoaning that he hadn't been able to take his kids to see Winter Soldier, Civil War or Infinity War because he felt they were all too adult and violent. I don't know if it is as cut and dried anymore that kids are the primary audience here. A lot of us who were 14 when that Star Wars movie came out have grown old without necessarily growing up. :unhunh:

jpelg, vinnie, Jim B. and 1 other person like this.
  14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

....yeah, but in a few short yrs when that kid gets a little older it'll be like walking into a candy store for the 1st time!;)

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  15. Bobby Buckshot

The Cap is for Capitalism baby! :righton:

16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

So ... if we are now free to spoil ... what happened to Drunken Warrior Babe from Ragnarok? She was on the space ship with Thor and Loki at the end of that movie IIRC, and at the beginning of IW anyone on board was either murdered by Thanos or blowed up with the ship. Same for Kiwi Comic Relief Rock Monster Dude.

Eh ... maybe I need to watch Ragnarok again to recall their fates. Although that movie is kinda negated now.

--Geoff

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Joe Russo came and had a Q&A at our high school! • r/marvelstudios

supermd and HiredGoon like this.
  18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I think I like THAT name BETTER than Valkyrie!

Simon A and HiredGoon like this.
  19. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

If they do that, they can always bring Chris Evans back as the Human Torch, as well.

jpelg likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Avengers 4 might not be the end of the Avengers..$$$$$$

Disney's Bob Iger Won't Rule Out More Avengers After 'Avengers 4'

Next year's Avengers 4 is being billed as the end of the journey for many of Marvel Studios' favorite heroes, but it won't be the end of the Avengers.

Little is known about Marvel's plans following 2019's Avengers 4, save for sequels to Guardians of the Galaxy and Spider-Man: Homecoming, but Disney CEO Bob Iger teased the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday during an earnings call.

"We meet on a regular basis with our Marvel team, and we've plotted out Marvel movies that will take us well into the next decade," said Iger. "I'm guessing we will try our hand at what I'll call a new franchise beyond Avengers, but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't see more Avengers down the road. We just haven't made any announcements about that."

Disney is riding high as Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War continues its box-office rampage — and Iger noted that the 19 films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe have earned more than $16 billion globally.

Iger said that the goal with Avengers 4, which filmmakers Joe and Anthony Russo shot back-to-back with Infinity War, was to "have a significant conclusion" to the story that began with 2008's Iron Man. But he wouldn't rule out more Avengers movies down the road.

"Given the popularity of the characters and given the popularity of the franchise, I don't think people should conclude there will never be another Avengers movie," Iger said.

21. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Then any new characters they bring into A4 will be important.

22. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

No access to FF or X-Men yet... Comcast may scuttle the Disney/Fox deal...

23. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Of course it won't be tbe end of the Avengers franchise. It'll be a roster change and instead of just "The Avengers" , they'll add " New" or " mighty" or " West Coast" to the title. In other words, what often happens in the comics. Same with Captain America or Iron Man. They'll be a Cap IV or Iron Man IV eventually, but it'll be Sabastian Stan or Anthony Mackie and Don Cheadle instead of Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. ( although if Tony survives A4 he could easily cameo or guest star in some fashion in a potential IM4.)

Deuce66 and Jim B. like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The films are rated PG-13 for a reason: they're not for small children. Anytime you see a violent, on-screen death -- even with a raygun or some other sci-fi weapon -- you get a PG-13 rating. And the theory is that small children should not be exposed to violent death this early in their lives. But it's hard to stop kids from watching this stuff on TV via home video, streaming, and HBO later on. Parents aren't able to monitor 100% of what their kids watch 100% of the time.

Simon A likes this.
  25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

From what I hear they are already planning the Fox/Disney merger. Comcast have offered more but Disney have offered shares, which Murdoch actually prefers as he thinks they are more valuable in the long run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.