Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

What's the Spanish series ( subtitles) the lasted 2 seasons that was Breaking Bad esqe?

Brenald79 likes this.
  2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Do you mean The Bridge?

alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

Starts with La

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

La casa de papel (money heist)

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

That sounds it...
    Some kid was telling me it's brilliant. I had mentioned Breaking Bad when he suggested the two season Spanish ( Mexico ?) show as similar. Is that the actor in( The Bridge) The Hateful Eight?

Ah! I found it Money Heist it's a current show 2017 two seasons in another planned for 2019. So not the Bridge (4 seasons Denmark) or The Bridge (2 seasons USA).

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Brenald79 likes this.
  6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yes, that’s Demián Bichir in the Bridge (US) and The Hatefull 8.
    Looking forward your review of Money Heist!

7. alexpop

Demian Bichir was some scene stealer in H8.
    Region 2 : Media not available.
    Don't do Netflix/Amazon

Checked out trailer.
    Looks good.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  8. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Carnivale

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Well I finished Banshee. Really enjoyed it. Felt the last season was the weakest but still good. Doing some research it appears to me that one of the reasons for not liking it as much as the other seasons was that Greg Yaitanes was not as involved as much as the earlier seasons. He still had a role as executive producer but not as much hands on and he didn't direct any of the episodes that year. Seems to me his directing skill and creative input was part of the "special sauce" that was missing.

I was considering checking out Quarry next (which was recommended earlier in this thread IIRC & that is another of his projects but after reading that that show got canceled after the first season I am less inclined to check it out since I don't like unfinished series, although that being said I loved Deadwood even without the resolution it should have gotten).

Instead I have decided to checkout his most recent project, a dramatized mini-series about the hunt for the Unabomber. Yaitanes directed every episode. Has anyone seen it and if so what did you think?

Brenald79 and trumpet sounds like this.
  10. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Manhunt: Unabomber? I thought it was very good, maybe a rough start but gets better in the later episodes.

slipkid likes this.
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

You might want to think of it in this context; an average film clocks in at 2 hrs so a single season offers a few films worth of content! If you enjoyed Banshee, Quarry's a no-brainer!;)

alexpop and slipkid like this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Did it leave you frustrated though, not finishing up like it should? Or was it pretty self-contained, with a decent or at least logical ending? Some series have cliffhangers at the end of a season & I don't want to be left hanging on the cliff like that!

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

There’s no cliffhanger at end of Quarry. The ending works as if it was just a mini-series. Manhunt was great. I enjoyed it as much as Mindhunter that came out around the same time.

slipkid likes this.
  14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Animal Kingdom S3 May 29. Very solid show.

dmiller458 likes this.
  15. alexpop

Sense8(2015).
    2 (3) seasons, no physical media, any good?

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx. I've been watching Quarry. Love it! About 1/2 way through. Very well done 1960's/70's period drama. Disappointed this got canceled. Kind of like Banshee except with no comic book like characters and their mad ninja fighting skills more just everyday people with intense backstory (Vietnam vets & that whole assassin ring thing).

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Told ya!;)

slipkid likes this.
  18. alexpop

Quarry ~only one season?

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Yo Alex, this was just discussed in the last page of the thread. Aren't you reading the thread YOU started!?;)

20. alexpop

I thank everybody who suggests something. Sorry if I overlooked it !

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Thanks for mentioning "Quarry"--I didn't know this existed and will check it out; I really enjoy the series of books that Max Allen Collins wrote.

22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

How many books came out on this character? The show is really well done and I can see a lot of room here for some great stories (sucks that the canceled the show). I might have to check out the books sometime.

23. Lonson

24. Lonson

If you like "Quarry," try the dark-humor (probably using "Quarry" as an inspiration) HBO series "Barry." I thought the first season that ended last week was excellent.

slipkid likes this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx for the tip.

Just another Quarry observation - in the episode that had the flashback to his 'nam days hanging out in basecamp, in the background someone was playing a radio & the song was Cities on Flame by Blue Öyster Cult!

Also something I noticed which I forgot about until I saw it, is that in one of the commentaries on Banshee Yaitanes mentions that he referenced the framed newspaper article hanging in Sugar's bar about him winning the title in an episode of Quarry. And sure enough at one point in the show there it was! Only on screen for about 10-15 seconds I guess but the Memphis newspaper has the headline of Sugar winning his bout. Pretty cool. Yaitanes felt it would be in the same time frame so he had the paper recreated for use in Quarry.

Brenald79 and BluesOvertookMe like this.