Parks Audio Puffin DSP Phono Pre

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 5, 2018.

1. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

seems like an odd product. not sure what target market is. Won't appeal to analog purists of course, and some of the flexibilty (e.g. different EQ curves), while interesting, probably appeal mostly to people who would also be analog purists. Also, not enough impedance loading/capacitance settings for tweakers, though all the gain settings are nice.

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Fozgometer is $300. Makes the Puffin real tempting if one wants a Fozgometer as I do.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

You could also just use an inexpensive A/D convertor with USB to get the signals to your computer, and then look at the phase and/or crosstalk for adjusting azimuth, and whatever else you want to do, but takes some software and some time too. At one point Soundsmith was supposed to come out with a little box for adjusting cartridges, guess it got delayed, they still have a page for it but no product (I think).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

Thanks. I realize there's other options but I always liked the simplicity of the Fozgometer's design. I just can't bring myself to shell out $300 for one.

5. Davey

Yea, there was one on audiogon yesterday for around $200, but looks like itt's gone now... Musical Surroundings Fozgometer | D.I.Y. & Repair | Audiogon

6. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

I just bought a budgie hybrid a few months ago, but that is how I felt when I read the announcement. I tend to believe that he feels the sound quality with this new device is at least equal to, if not better, than what he's built in the past. Had I missed out on the budgie I'd happily buy this. I don't have a MC nor do I listen to 45's so some of the functionality he's built into the puffin I have no use for. Though I do wish the budgie hybrid did have at least a couple of gain settings.

7. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Would like to hear comparisons between the Puffin and the Lounge LCR MKIII. I too have a Budgie that I'll never part with but have been looking to get an additional pre for my second table. Have been eyeing up the Lounge as a potential suitor.

Dr Jackson likes this.
  8. hfarrior3

Just watched the intro video on his site and the amount of optional settings for the puffin makes my small brain hurt.

9. Davey

Hehehe, I'm actually kind of surprised at the number of people that are apparently interested in a digital phono preamp, at least at this price point. At first mention, I would've thought he was building a new product without much of a market, but I may be wrong there, could be people are looking for the features and don't care as much about the ultimate sound quality. Though maybe this is the price point where digital and analog aren't much different, with both approaches having severe economic compromises, so those advantages in the digital realm pay off. Wish him good luck, but this isn't a path I'm at all interested in following right now, I don't even like having digital control for my turntable motor :)

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  10. gov

gov Forum Resident

Well thought out reply davey. Think you’re right that a guy who has a few $k’s worth in the analog chain is not the target.

11. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

Love my budgie but can't commit to selling it and replacing it with a Puffin just yet. Since it's out of production I think holding onto it and picking up a Puffin in the future for a second system is probably wisest.

Shannon just announced the last of the soft launch Puffins are sold out. More coming for the hard launch June 4th.

RC2257 and Jelloalien like this.
  12. hfarrior3

Read the owner's manual during lunch today. I will say reading the manual does make this thing seem pretty damn cool, of course I don't know what to compare this to. What would be an example the puffin's immediate competition in the market?

Dr Jackson likes this.
  13. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

His products are so well crafted and have a very high end look and feel. Very solid. So tempted to grab one of these.

GKH likes this.
  14. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

Besides the arguement for and against, just going on Shannon's skills and build quality, I think it would be hard to deny that any owner of the Puffin is going to be over the moon happy with the results and SQ.

hfarrior3 and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That's purely an assumption.

Personally, I'd rather stick with something straightforward, almost of its construction/design budget being directed strictly towards SQ rather than an avalanche of features, most of which I'd never used.

I can only imagine the trouble it'll be to configure this thing. So many options and menus. I prefer a plug & play approach.

RC2257, HiFi Guy and George Blair like this.
  16. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

It certainly is my assumption :)
    You mention your tastes, but i'm talking about those that are likely going to be interested and buy into this....those that love to tweak and fiddle constantly. And change the sound on a whim. And this might seem right up their alley!

GKH and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  17. hfarrior3

I'm assuming the reason behind the avalanche of features is just that, to achieve a better SQ. Honestly I'd be willing to bet I personally would not be able to tell the difference between the puffin and my budgie hybrid. Good sound is good sound, no matter where it comes from.

Jelloalien likes this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

I admit I struggle to think of the right person for this phono preamp. I'm sure the endless tweakers are out there but I just know "set it and forget it" types.

Jelloalien likes this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think it is less about selling to people that like to tweak and more about creating something that is so flexible that it will pair with a wide range of carts. The biggest disadvantage of the phonostages at the under $500 price point is that you need to buy a SUT to run a LOMC.

At the end of the day the right person for this product is one that is looking to buy a sub $500 phonostage.

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

He has sold out of his initial run. The next time it will be up for sale is estimated for mid June.

RDriftwood likes this.
  21. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

Thats a great summary of it, i agree.
    The fact you can use MM and MC, all with one unit makes it killer.

Having said that, the fact that its digital, that mostly makes me not want it :(

RC2257, SirMarc and Seafinch like this.
  22. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Can you do Needledrops with it too?

23. Strat-Mangler

If you mean can it record an LP within the unit itself, no. If you meant using it to output to a PC to record, then yes.

24. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Thanks. I just looked and didn't see a USB.

25. Strat-Mangler

While I agree it's a turn-off, some phono preamps feature partly digital circuitry and still produce fantastic sound. I can think of the Gold Note PH-10 which is not an inexpensive piece of gear. A few people on this board bought one and love it.

I'm not closing the door entirely on the concept but I admit a small amount of trepidation based on the addition of digital circuitry in the unit. Still,... the proof will be in the pudding.

Since @Dennis0675 bought one, we can wait for his report and see whether the SQ is worth it for those in the market but still undecided because of that digital circuitry tidbit.

SirMarc, Dennis0675 and Jelloalien like this.