Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

One of their masterpieces. I voted for “Things We Said Today” but this is an album with no weak tracks. And the movie is fabulous too!

2. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I voted for "A Hard Day's Night". But if it had been Top 3, I would have added #2 "If I Fell" and #3 "Things We Said Today"

I've gotta say though that there are 2 spots in this song that really tear me up every time I watch the movie - at 0:31 and 1:42 - just remembering what we've lost together in one camera angle.

3. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Beat me to it. Fantastic album.

4. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

"I'll Be Back" for me. For some reason this was one of the final officially released Beatles songs I heard, long after I was well acquainted with 98% of the official cannon so it always felt "fresh" to me. But beyond that it has such a great dark vibe going on with the major to minor key changes, great Lennon and group vocals. I never get tired of this song. (That being said, as fine a song as it may be, I am perfectly ok if I never hear "Can't Buy Me Love" again in my lifetime.)

Carlox, qm1ceveb, bldg blok and 2 others like this.
  5. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

By far their best album. I don't think they had a bad song until after 1966. Plenty of them after that.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  6. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

I had overheard the classics to the point where care nothing for them anymore. I’m almost like that with everything else.

I take strange and petty personal offense to this.

7. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Any song at all - John's on fire on this album. Their best early album (and their late albums start with Revolver for me). No cover versions on it. Good stereo mix great record!

Hermes likes this.
  8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

This is one of my favorite Beatles albums..........not 1 bad note. Voted "I Should've Known Better."

The Quiet One likes this.
  9. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I enjoy AHDN more than the other three although I think Abbey Road is a brilliant achievement all things considered. I think Revolver and (especially) Pepper are over-rated. Now there's a thread topic: Is Revolver over-rated?

10. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

This is really my favourite Beatles album - second to none.

(Voted If I Fell, but naturally I love them all.)

11. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Oof, good luck with that thread. You can bash Sgt. Pepper’s, but not Revolver nowadays.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Hermes likes this.
  12. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Anytime At All! No contest for me, one of my favorite Beatles songs period.

13. bobc

bobc Bluesman

It is a great album, especially as all of the songs are Lennon-McCartney. It was a huge achievement to write all those songs, 7 of which were chosen for the film and the other 6 all really excellent with no filler. The album flows really well, with the blockbuster opener, a hit closing side 1, plenty of John's songs which are fresh, lively, harsher than Paul's, but not yet overly introspective or dark. And the Paul songs are just lovely, Things We Said Today being a real standout.

I chose I'll Be Back. Great major/minor changes, beautifully sung, a perfect closer.

14. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

The harmonies on If I Fell are something else - you have to have sung it to really appreciate it, I think. Very mature lyric too, with John directly dismissing their own previous work (“‘Cause I’ve been in love before, and I found that love was more than just holding hands”).

Really solid album all round, though. Beatles For Sale felt like a backwards step after this one.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A Hard Day's Night 10/10
    Things we said Today 8/10
    You Can't Do that 8/10

Etc ...

I like them all, very Lennon dominated, just the way I like it.

16. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Hah.. I know. I think Revolver is one of Lennon's weaker Beatles efforts whereas AHDN and the White Album are his two best imho. I like about half of the songs on Revolver whereas I like almost every song on AHDN.

17. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

And I love her.

Like all pre-Rubber soul albums, this LP is good but not great

18. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I'm happy to dance with you, Tell me why, You can't do that, When I get home... Are derivative filler, IMHO

19. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I'll Be Back, one of my favorite Beatles songs.

Carlox, The Quiet One and bldg blok like this.
  20. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Strong album.

Chose And I Love Her. Find it such a stop-you-in-your-tracks enchanting thing.

21. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I think it's one of his best, but I'm a huge sucker for psych so that plays a big part. Doctor Robert is easily one of his weakest, though, so I see where you're coming from.

Filler without a doubt, but to me top tier. When filler's this good on an album like this, it doesn't bother me whatsoever. Well, the latter two aren't top tier, but the first 2 are to me.

22. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

An album with no filler. And Lennon's absolute best.

1. Tell Me Why
    2. You Can't Do That
    3. I'll Be Back
    4. Things We Said Today
    5. And I Love Her

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Shaddam IV likes this.
  23. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Chose for the title, track with Paul's excellent 'Things We Said Today' a close second.... The Beatles from a rock 'n roll- band to pop perfection....

24. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Revolver was McCartney's break out album. Lennon's tracks were good but other than "Tomorrow Never Knows" I don't think his contributions were that strong, especially compared to what he composed for AHDN.

Carlox likes this.
  25. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Don't wanna cry when there're people there, I get shy when they start to stare..

I picked I'll be Back though. It even inspired The Terminator!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.