How good is Amazon shipping vinyl?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by fungomatto, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I agree when you have both hands free, but filming one handed without a tripod...No other way

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Im sure i will get blacklisted by Amazon soon. Ive had a few returns....mainly a mix of bad pressings and them sending me jackets with creases, splits etc.

3. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

When the band Rush re-released all their records on vinyl record in 2015, I pre-ordered them all from Amazon. Every time I got the records, they always had the same damage, the sleeves was ripped, sure I got new one whitout any problems, but then most of the time, the replacement was damaged as well on the same way, so then I had to ask for another one!

Sure, Amazon has great service, and they send new ones without any problems, and I could also keep the damage one. So now I have one (or more) copy of each record that is still sealed. But after I got all the Rush records, I was done with Amazon, they are a pain to buy from.

4. englishbob

Arctic Monkeys new album dispatched! If my theory is true, as it was a pre-order and a new release, it will come loose in a massive box

5. DarrenMcCall

DarrenMcCall Forum Resident

I've ordered a lot of vinyl from Amazon and most of the time it arrived safely. I had way worse luck with eBay, Discogs, Facebook groups... lately it seems like everything I get from one of those arrives with seam splits and corner dings :realmad:

6. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

I had a bad run of several orders from Amazon that were all warped - all packaged similarly, just tossed into a large box. It occurred to me that maybe Amazon’s supply chain needs work, or perhaps there was another reason that so much of their stock was warped - packaging is another issue entirely. Ordering vinyl from them has always been hit or miss for me.

That said, it’s pretty much Elusive Disc for me - have been ordering from them for many years with zero issues - I’ll gladly pay the minimal media mail shipping and wait an extra day or two.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

can't speak of vinyl, but of late their shipping of CD's has been deplorable.

sunking101 likes this.
  8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

For the most part, pretty good. They either ship in a frustration free LP mailer or said mailer in an oversize box, with packing material to fill it out. However, sometimes they ship the LP loose in a large box and it slides around during shipping and gets dinged up. They were on quite a roll last year, they did this to me for around 5 consecutive shipments.

Alan2 likes this.
  9. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

First try with Amazon was the Bowie BBC box, and they did the label on the shrinkwrap thing, of course it looked like somebody used it as a giant air hockey puck. Returned it. Sent another, which bounced around in a much bigger box, corners all rounded. Returned that. Third one was damaged as well. Got a full refund, ordered from Barnes & Noble, who got it right the first time.

So, to answer the question posed by the thread, I'd say Amazon is lousy at shipping vinyl. I can't imagine how bad they'd screw up a Beatles mono box or something else with 10+ records in it.

BTW, Barnes & Noble has never failed me. They shipped 5 or 6 of the Zeppelin Super Deluxe boxes and there wasn't one problem with any of them. They were all in sturdy, oversized, heavily padded boxes. No rounded corners, no damaged vinyl, sleeves or photo books. No damage at all.

joshm2286 likes this.
  10. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I have ordered two vinyl records from sellers that their orders were fulfilled by Amazon. My first LP purchase came in an mailer box which protected my album very well so I was pleased with my purchase. Second record ordered with two other items this order was put in an oversized box and thankfully the record was un- damaged.

I have not ordered another LP "directly" from Amazon after hearing their packaging methods vary from warehouse to warehouse here in the states. I buy vinyl from Amazon marketplace sellers who pack their own orders and Ebay.

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They appear to have only one size of box now which must mean massive waste of cardboard and internal packing. The boxes are also flimsier than a few years ago but miraculously hardly had an issue with damage.

joshm2286 likes this.
  12. Classicrock

Most Lps I think are now prepackaged in mailers for Amazon as they have a sticker with the title on them. Loose or prepackaged probably depends on label/distributor. I'm sure Amazon have this done at nominal cost given the quantities they shift. They must be the biggest music seller in UK/USA/World by now.

Johnny Vinyl and joshm2286 like this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I buy a ton of vinyl from Amazon and I have never had an issue with shipping. And never a hassle returning defective vinyl. Quite frankly, and as much as I would agree with anyone that would argue it's smart to have other suppliers, I don't know why anyone would by elsewhere except to sometimes support a local dealer, which I do, but then I feel bad if I need to exchange a bad pressing, which is too often. Just easier to put it back on the porch.

joshm2286 likes this.
  14. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

DO NOT BUY OTHER ITEMS ON SAME ORDER!

They will shove ur record in a box.. if your order is just records the shipping is typically very good. Though I did once literally get a shipping label stuck to the shrink wrap of a record.... but generally if you just buy LPs they come in a LP mailer just like the better ebay stores/audiophile sites use.

Alan2 likes this.
  15. englishbob

I've noted this article on the Amazon website comes and goes in various guises. I couldn't find it a few months ago, buts it back again and pride of place on the Amazon UK Vinyl homepage...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=s9_a...c42-4508-92e0-f827ed0ec4eb&pf_rd_i=9840751031

We'll see in future, I have x2 David Sylvian pre-orders for Feb next year, if they come in a massive cardboard box floating around loose..........

stem and DaverJ like this.
  16. Packing

Packing New Member

Amazon service is good. Last week i purchased one watch, they delivered me on right time. No issue with amazon service.

17. stem

stem Forum Resident

Their blurb in the link is the theory ...... and to be fair most of what they send is well packaged.
    Unfortunately there is also the odd “rogue” LP sent in a completely different way.

18. Kurt RUhlin

Kurt RUhlin Forum Resident

I've ordered many vinyl albums from amazon with no major issues. I recently ordered Vijay Iyer's Historicity and it arrived on Tuesday. Amazon had simply slapped a label on the cover and shipped it. Needless to say, it arrived a mess. I sent Amazon an email describing what happened and received a cheerful response saying they would address the issue with shipping as a priority and resend a copy. Well, the replacement arrived today - same issue. Label affixed to the album - this one arrived snapped in half. Emailed again and received the same cheerful message with notice that they will ship a third copy. Maybe three is a charm.

19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Same fulfilment centre probably. Had the same issue, 3 copies and same result!

Kurt RUhlin likes this.
  20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This is the very reason I stopped using Amazon to buy vinyl, even though I'm a Prime member.
    I'm not willing to go through anything more than opening my album mailer, and taking out my purchased record, ready to play on my turntable.
    I hope 3 does work for you.

Kurt RUhlin likes this.
  21. Kurt RUhlin

Kurt RUhlin Forum Resident

Yep, don’t have high hopes for the third. I’m amazed they would ship anything without a box.

richbdd01 and Myke like this.
  22. Classicrock

Rogue packer I think. Had this happen only once with Springsteen first box set - 3 copies due to vinyl faults. Amazingly box undamaged. Today I received 100 record outer sleeves in soft bag packaging but rolled up. Roll had slipped and twisted resulting in a number being creased. First 2 are scrap but another 10 or so slightly creased will flatten at bottom of stack with weight applied. These should have been sent in a record mailer or at least a box laid flat.

Alan2, richbdd01 and Myke like this.
  23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm amazed at the number of forum members saying they don't believe these things are happening, because they've never experienced it, or even seen it first hand, so they say these must be exaggerations ? I'm sure forum rules are the only thing keeping them from calling those that have experienced damaged shipments, outright liars.
    That's ridiculous, how anyone can be that narrow minded.

24. When dealing with the multinational evil beast Amaz-zong - you are selling yourself out. It's not a 'thing' it's a bunch of low wage employees
    scrambling to fill orders without knowing what they are truly doing.
    I personally have boycotted the evil corporation since day one.. you should too . Give one of the thousands of Discogs sellers a try... they are dedicated
    to Vinyl. Shame for using a general service that is raping the world and destroying small businesses everywhere.. no wonder you're getting unprotected vinyl sent to you,
    it sounds like you just want something fast, but not using logic.

Dave likes this.
  25. Aama-zong is a garbage heap for people with too much money. Use your brain, not your wallet! Discogs is a fabulous place to purchase vinyl online. Or a local record store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.