'The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra,' to be released on June 8!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yorick, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member Thread Starter

The Beach Boys are thrilled to announce 'The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra,' to be released on June 8! The album pairs The Beach Boys' original vocal performances with new symphonic arrangements, newly recorded by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at Abbey Road Studios.
    [​IMG] Pre-order/stream: https://UMe.lnk.to/BeachBoysOrchestralFp [​IMG]
    "Fun, Fun, Fun" is available for streaming and download starting today!

WMunney, RickH, richierichie and 2 others like this.
  2. Yorick

This is the album cover:
    [​IMG]

3. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Looks like you beat me to the post!

Yorick likes this.
  4. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

So it’s a photo and a drawing of Brian?!

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm buying it, but I'm not sure why.

Vinyl?

6. Yorick

I kept on refreshing while making the thread to see if there still was no other one. :D
    But I have to say I'm not very excited by the release. It's a very commercially driven decision. I'm much more looking forward to the 1968 archival release. :shh:

7. Daniel Plainview

Mike's hat looks inauthentic.

Brian looks like Jamie Lee Curtis.

8. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

yeah that picture is poorly photoshopped

Captain Groovy likes this.
  9. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

That photo of Brian is the one where he’s holding a large mirror/photo/painting of the other five.

fast'n'bulbous likes this.
  10. Yorick

This is the tracklisting. Not a very inspiring selection I think, except for Disney Girls:

1. 'California Suite'
    2. 'California Girls'
    3. 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'
    4. 'Fun, Fun, Fun'
    5. 'Don't Worry Baby'
    6. 'God Only Knows'
    7. 'Sloop John B'
    8. 'Heroes And Villains'
    9. 'Disney Girls'
    10. 'Here Today'
    11. 'In My Room'
    12. 'Kokomo'
    13. 'The Warmth Of The Sun'
    14. 'Darlin''
    15. 'Help Me, Rhonda'
    16. 'You Still Believe In Me'
    17. 'Good Vibrations'

11. FlexFantastic

FlexFantastic Mechano-Man of the Future!

Here's the tracklisting from the official website:

The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra [CD; Digital; 2LP Vinyl]

1. California Suite

2. California Girls

3. Wouldn’t It Be Nice

4. Fun, Fun, Fun

5. Don’t Worry Baby

6. God Only Knows

7. Sloop John B

8. Heroes And Villains

9. Disney Girls

10. Here Today

11. In My Room

12. Kokomo

13. The Warmth Of The Sun

14. Darlin’

15. Help Me, Rhonda

16. You Still Believe In Me

17. Good Vibrations

Full release: The Beach Boys Announce New Album for Worldwide Release on June 8: 'The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra'

12. Yorick

On March 8 and 9, 2018, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra convened in Studio 2 at Universal Music Group's Abbey Road Studios in London, the storied room where The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and other legendary artists have recorded some of the world's most cherished music. There, they recorded new orchestral arrangements to complement The Beach Boys' classic vocal harmonies from the legendary group's original recordings. Conducted by Steve Sidwell and Sally Herbert, who also wrote several of the album's new symphonic arrangements, the orchestra dove into The Beach Boys classics, including the new album's earliest hit, 1964's "Fun, Fun, Fun," and its most recent one, 1988's "Kokomo." The album also features the orchestra's new turns on the signature classics "Good Vibrations," "California Girls," "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "God Only Knows," "Sloop John B," "Help Me, Rhonda," "In My Room," "Disney Girls," and several more. The resulting album, The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, honors The Beach Boys' artistry and innovation in an inspired new way with the group's first album collaboration with a full orchestra.

Beach Boys co-founder Brian Wilson says, "I always knew the vocal arrangements I did back in the 1960s would lend themselves perfectly for a symphony and there is no better one in the world than the Royal Philharmonic. I am both proud and humbled by what they have created using our songs and I hope everyone falls in love with it like I have."

Beach Boys co-founder Mike Love says, "This album is one of a kind. I think the fact that the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra has accompanied The Beach Boys with these great arrangements is just a phenomenal thing. It's a whole other dimension to our music."

The Beach Boys' Al Jardine says, "Don Reedman and Nick Patrick did a terrific job on this. I can't imagine having more fun than taking some of these great songs and putting them into this perspective. They did a beautiful job of arranging the music around the original vocals, which I think is a terrific idea. It makes the music feel new all over again!"

The Beach Boys' Bruce Johnston says, "When I listened to the album, I realized that the new arrangements performed by the orchestra didn't add the wrong kind of weight. They just added the beautiful fairy dust of the orchestra to what we already recorded. It's another interpretation of us without losing the groundwork of us. I really like it."

The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra co-producer Nick Patrick says, "I'm a complete and utter fan of The Beach Boys and the way their music makes you feel. The Beach Boys' music is so multi-layered -- you can experience it on so many layers. You've got the obvious harmonies, which are amazing. But what we found making this record is when you dig down into the arrangements, they're extraordinary. They're fresh. They're new. They're complex. They're beautiful and constructed in a completely original way."

The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra co-producer Don Reedman says, "To be able to make this record, it's a great honor. The feeling you get, listening to the original recordings and the performances, and then to be able to put our expression into their recordings through our arrangements and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is an absolute thrill."

NOS300B, theMess and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  13. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

The guy saying "I hope the Beach Boys are thrilled by what they hear..." at 1:30 makes it clear how involved the Beach Boys were in this project. I wonder who pitched the idea, and why?

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    FJFP likes this.
  14. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I am sure it will sound nice, but why?

Cover is awful, is that the best they could come up with?

goodiesguy, Isamet, theMess and 3 others like this.
  15. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Right? Is the first time they hear it when they buy the CD?

fallbreaks likes this.
  16. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Whenever I read unending and ceaseless praise like this, I can't help but think of The Sammy Maudlin show:

17. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

That cover. That cover is horrible -- poor Brian.

It brought to mind this sweet "touch-up" from a few years back:

[​IMG]

swandown, goodiesguy, ronbow and 11 others like this.
  18. I'm afraid I'll pass. It's obvious that the band themselves had absolutely nothing to do with it and I'd much rather hear their vocals backed by a rock band than by a symphony orchestra. If the band themselves are happy with the results I'm happy for them, just don't force me to buy this or even listen to it.

19. Daniel Plainview

I reckon "California Suite" will be kinda like what Van Dyke Parks concocted for the 'Pet Sounds Live' shows in 2000?

willy likes this.
  20. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

They've done a couple Elvis albums like this and they were apparently very successful, so I guess it is something we will continue to see with other artists.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  21. Quidjay

Quidjay Well-Known Member

I'd venture it's probably the California Saga suite.

Record Rotator likes this.
  22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Boring.

DaveJ, wiseblood and Crimson jon like this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Nah, they'd never open with "Big Sur". I smell a medley.

Boognish and D.B. like this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

We should all support this product so we get a volume 2. They are clearly saving "Don't Talk" for the next one. And then we can get orchastrated (!) version of stuff like "Custom Machine", "Hey Little Tomboy", "Do It Again (featuring Sugar Ray and John Stamos' DO IT DO IT'), "Everyone's In Love With You", and "Cuckoo Clock"!

25. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

Waste of time. I have not been clamoring for an orchestrated version of Kokomo. :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.