Cd’s when are they obsolete ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

True. DVD and Blu-ray could be gone soon. Gaming now there's something that might help.

2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

While the compact disc (CD) is fading as the main way to deliver music, I don't think it will actually be obsolete for a while for the following reasons:
    • Lossless Music: Until lossless downloads become as available and as affordable as current lossy downloads, CD will offer the best way to get lossless music at a reasonable price.
    • Established Infrastructure: Even with the reduction in the number of available stand alone CD players, there are a massive number of devices that can play CDs right out of the box. Video game systems, DVD/Blu-Ray Players, and car stereos (for the most part) can play CDs. Basically, right now everyone has the ability to play CDs without the need to purchase an additional device.
    • Backup Source: Although I rip all of my music for actual playing, the CD automatically becomes the backup in case something happens to my ripped files. With those files, I'm more concerned about losing my metadata (since I usually update, add to, and correct my metadata from what was received from the Internet) than losing the music itself since I can just re-rip it from the original CD.
    I think what will happen with CD is that it will become a format supported by devotees and that way it will remain around.

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There is a huge market for genre Blu-rays and boutique labels are releasing more and more physical product so I think they are here for years to come. It's the 'collector' mentality, the almost natural human need to accumulate, that drives this. Sure you can watch this stuff on Amazon Prime or Netflix but people still want to buy a copy to keep. It may become more niche but it won't go away completely.

4. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think that will become the dividing line: On-line/streaming for items you want to see, and then purchase what you want to keep.

I had that experience with the anime series Big O. I watched it on Cartoon Network during its first-run and half-way through the first episode I knew I was going to watch the entire series. Then, by the end of the second episode I knew I was going to buy the entire series as soon as it was released on DVD since it was so good.

However, sometimes I wait a bit before purchasing a video since the price tends to drop a bit. The $25 DVD soon becomes a $15 DVD which then becomes a three-movies-on-one DVD for $10.

5. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

It's nothing atavistic. People just know that sometimes you can't go online, so they want hard copies. It's natural as in logical.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

These things change fast, even faster among younger consumers with little experience with legacy formats. I work at a college and our graduates are required to turn in their senior capstone projects on CD-R or thumbdrive. (In the interest of maintaining a genuine archive, they should be turned in on acid-free paper, but that's another debate.)

This year marked some kind of turning point, as most students didn't seem to understand what a CD-R was, as in "a shiny 5.25 recordable disc," how it worked, or how they could get data to it. Most students had never used one. Our college store quickly sold out of thumbdrives, all the way to 64 gigs, because the $1 CD-Rs were too foreign, incompatible with their disc drive-less laptops, the process of finding a computer with a disc drive and saving the paper to it too uncertain. Amazing.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  7. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

I’m in my early 30’s, when I started buying music it was cd’s, and that’s what I always stuck with even to this day. While not as large and beautiful as a vinyl record as far as its physical (can hold in your hand) presence, I still appreciate is as something I can HOLD and look at the album art and the track list on the back… Hell, even a little booklet of information to peruse a bit while the music plays. Backing cd’s up, even scanning those little booklets with the art is simple and hard drive space is super cheap these days. I can see the appeal of streaming music, but I would NEVER use that as my main method of listening to music. As others have said, you own NOTHING… You can’t back up your streams either. Any true lover of music wants a true backup of that music that has enriched their lives over the years, means so much, and they have repeatedly listened to. I know people so dedicated that they are mainly vinyl folks, but they create quality rips of their vinyl and back those up on drives. Streaming is just a convenience, nothing more. I’ll never give in to the companies who wish we all become blissfully willing to submit to only streaming music.

ClassicalCD, RSteven, no.nine and 5 others like this.
  8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's like looking at the Pyramids and wondering how on earth they built them isn't it!

dkmonroe likes this.
  9. Couldnt a person "own" streamed music by simply capturing the audio. Kinda like when people would record radio songs onto tapes, only now there are lossless and Hi-Res streams. Heck, you could probably just save the temp file they get stored as while they are downloading to your device. That $10 subscription or whatever could possibily be the best bargain out there. For the record, I dont use streaming services. I just buy what I like.

Also, you can see all the photos and linear notes online. Instead of holding some paper in your hands while you listen to the music grab someone you love and experience the music with them.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I work in IT support and I still occasionally get calls from people who want help burning stuff to CD and it's so tedious. Really no reason for it if you're talking just documents and images.

11. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Guys, you never had your 2TB HDD loaded with downloaded music and video crashed ;).

12. There is a simple solution to that. Back up your drives or use RAID.

shaboo likes this.
  13. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Wrong-o! My wife hates my music for the most part.:agree:

yesstiles likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

Some streaming services put security on their streams so that they cannot be captured in any way that is usable. I'll tell on myself here and admit that several years ago I got a subscription to the Hearts Of Space ambient music site for the express purpose of recording one of their old programs that I used to have on cassette tape, recorded off the radio. I did manage to capture it with my computer, but the playback sounded terrible, very noisy like it was recorded over a poor radio connection. So the only way I'm every going to hear that set again properly is by re-subscribing or purchasing the individual tracks from Amazon or iTunes but unfortunately it is a VERY old set and not all of the tracks are available for purchase. Some of the CD's represented in the set are also old and OOP, virtually impossible to find.

15. dkmonroe

Not yet but I've got two backups if it does.

pathosdrama and shaboo like this.
  16. Ah. Surely there is a way, maybe from the output stage instead of before it gets transcoded or whatever the process is.

dkmonroe likes this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have tons of blank CD-Rs, but haven’t burned a CD-R in 2 or 3 years. The only reason I could see doing so would be for someone else.

18. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

In this shop where about 80% of the stock is CDs, 19% vinyl and 1% cassette tape...

The Sound Garden-Baltimore - Google Search

You can buy many turntables, a cassette player with USB, but no personal CD player!

Am I a complete weirdo? So now I have to listen to my CD purchases from my rental car. Maybe, I'll just sit listening in the hotel car park...maybe that could be 'hipster'

*clears throat, shakes head*

19. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I had a sad moment a couple days ago. Our local Target store has big sign out in front that they are remodeling/renovating to better serve me..

I looked around the "media" aisle and could find absolutely no CDs. Sure, there are books, DVD/BluRays, and gamestation discs, but no CDs to be found... it made me die a little bit inside.

So I went to the other end of the mall to see how BestBuy was doing in terms of CDs. And they had about eight feet of retail space devoted to CDs, with a "$5.99 and up" bin, pretty obviously to clear out the overstock from the ever-shrinking eight foot shelf...

I guess the only place that is still selling CDs is going to be Walmart, although I think their stock may be shrinking, too.. :cry:

I wonder if CDs will become a niche market like vinyl is now. [Well, I can dream, I guess.... or move to Japan...]

20. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

If you're too dumb to backup your (important) data you should not even own anything computer-like.

dkmonroe likes this.
  21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yep.

23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I've had it happen at least once.

Backups to the rescue.

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

At large, people don't care about having a physical backup or buying a CD of music they really like. We are a tiny blip who have that kind of attachment to physical media when it comes to music.
    Most people stream movies too. I don't know much about gaming, but it's unlikely the business will continue to rely on physical media.
    So I don't see a reason why cd/dvd/bd readers would be around much longer.
    Except as a kind of boutique business.

25. TheGMaster

TheGMaster Forum Resident

That's a good point, actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.