"The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" thread.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That was good. And credit to Colbert for simply keeping quiet and letting Kevin tell his story. The only thing I didn't like was the lame suckup by Kevin at the end ("the only thing that kept me going was knowing I was scheduled to be on Colbert 2 months later..." or something like that). It was a bit of a groan inducing end to an otherwise great story.

AKA and Hymie the Robot like this.
  2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Colbert is a hack who just isnt funny, and he takes cheap shots at people for cheap audience laughs, which really annoys me. Re-runs of Carson with his worst guests are 100% more entertaining than Colbert is.

spanky1, showtaper, jdlaw and 2 others like this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I think Colbert is great. Very talented and educated being.
    To be honest, I like most of the talk show guys, I think they have come a long way with
    their ability to adapt their talents. Fallon, Corden, Kimmel, are all entertaining for me.

AKA and RTurner like this.
  4. stereoguy

Well, if you like them, that is great. Personally, I think that none of them even comes close to the sheer talent level of Carson, Letterman, or Leno.

spanky1 and showtaper like this.
  5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I think Colbert is extremely talented and surprised me how well he did in the new format, even before recent events. But no one is on the same level as Carson or Letterman. I wouldn't even put Leno that close - he's a great stand up, but not the same level as host.

6. stereoguy

I think Colbert is the biggest hack employed by a TV network. His big thing is taking cheap shots at people to get a cheap laugh from his studio audience. You do THAT when you cant get a laugh any other way. HACK!

spanky1, showtaper, jdlaw and 2 others like this.
  7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I think we all get your point. Perhaps it's time to move on to another subject/thread.

dan c

mrjinks, gd0, jupiter8 and 9 others like this.
  8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

We watch his monologues and skits every night on YouTube. We love it. The Tweets from the orange gibbon he reads are hilarious.

dot dot dot...

gd0, AKA, RTurner and 2 others like this.
  9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I have a feeling that you aren’t on board with his monologue subject matter. Therefore you don’t like him.

jupiter8, AKA, Hardy Melville and 8 others like this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yea, I love the 'cheap laugh' line. What is an expensive laugh?

11. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I think stereoguy is playing as if he's secretly Mr. President. That's how I read the comment below, anyway. Who else thinks the following is a near-perfect parody of a Presidential Tweet?

12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Except he's missing a closing word....Sad! Pathetic! Crooked!

AKA and bpmd1962 like this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It would need to have at least one "dot dot dot dot..."

AKA and mrjinks like this.
  14. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

He's not funny to me at all. I can't recall ever laughing at one of his usually mean-spirited 'jokes'. It's usually at someone else's expense, which is just not funny to me.

spanky1, stereoguy and Aardvark23 like this.
  15. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

Can Otlset or Stereoguy at least give some specifics about why Colbert is so bad and his jokes are so mean-spirited and cheap? I wouldn't go in to a Beatles thread and just state a contrary opinion without at least kinda trying to make a persuasive argument or try to add some thought-out counterpoint. Johnny Carson took cheap shots at Reagan, Quayle, etc. Colbert is winning the ratings so obviously a lot of people do find him funny.

AKA, NaturalD and Lightworker like this.
  16. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

[​IMG]

NaturalD, mmars982 and The Panda like this.
  17. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

+1

I support his freedom of speech, but I'll use mine to say how much I despise him.

He's a smarmy partisan toadie.

I like my comedy without a clear agenda, thank you. For instance, I was a huge fan of the Dave Chappelle show back in the day. Dave was an equal opportunity offender. He made everyone laugh with and at each other. It was therapeutic in a way, and brought people together. Colbert and his ilk (his ilk being pretty much every late night talk show host.......as if they all read from the same script), help nothing and if fact serve only to divide people.

18. Lightworker

I enjoyed him more in the "Mr. Goodwrench" commercials:

[​IMG]

19. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

:laugh: Your name isn’t John Barron perchance?

gd0, jupiter8, AKA and 2 others like this.
  20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

As noted, if you think Carson never made any mean-spirited jokes at someone else's expense, you haven't watched much Carson.

It's not a comedian's (or entertainer's) job to bring people together. That is (or should be) the job of our political leaders.

jupiter8, JuanTCB, AKA and 3 others like this.
  21. Otlset

I never mentioned him.

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Ah. I was confusing you with others here who have compared Colbert unfavorably to Carson.

Did you find Carson unfunny too, then?

23. Otlset

I liked Carson. As far as I know he never even approached the nastiness of Colbert's 'humor', which includes such gems as “The only thing your mouth is good for is being Vladimir Putin’s c—k holster.” line he threw out recently.

Lightworker likes this.
  24. Lightworker

"It takes one to know one" I suppose.

25. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

My preference in order of late night presidential parodies.
    1) Seth Meyers - brings a little Homer S into the equation, great delivery
    2) Colbert - the tweet readings are interesting in that they make more fun of the attitude than attempt to get the voice right
    Then way down here...
    3) Alec has worn thin...and even he admits it

AKA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.