Issues with my Technics SL-1200 MKII

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Octavian, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, I just recieved a used MKII

The turntable seems to be in pretty good condition. Unfortunately, it seems I've run into some issues.

One, the height adjustment is stuck. This seems to be an easier fix so not a big deal.

My other issue is with the tonearm. I'm having a weird problem where I am getting resistance when I put it on the rest. It will not stay there and it yanks back toward the center. It only has resistance when I bring it close to the rest.

Here is a gif of it (Sorry it came out slow for some reason, should still show the problem)

I'm hoping these issues are a big deal, I don't mind doing some work on it though, I bought it with the expectation that I would.

Thanks for any help!

2. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Messed up anti-skate mechanism? I don't know what else would cause that.

3. Octavian

Is that generally an easier fix?

4. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

Put the headshell on with a cartridge, balance arm so it hangs perpendicular to the platter. Set anti skate to 0. Try and see if it still pulls in.

Oh. And leave the stylus guard on to be safe.

roger87 and displayname like this.
  5. nolazep

Ehhhh you might have to remove the tonearm to make sure the wiring has enough play and that the antiskate spring is ok.

displayname and PooreBoy like this.
  6. Octavian

Didn’t seem to make a difference

7. Octavian

Well I’m gonna have to take it out to re-grease the height adjustment

8. nolazep

I'm sure once you turn that bad boy upside-down you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

9. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

It might be resistance from the internal wiring, as nolazep has suggested above.

10. Octavian

Hoping that’s what it is, I’ll open it up tonight.

I reposted this on Reddit and someone said the tonearm bearings are toast and I’d need a new tonearm. What do you guys think the chances of that are?

11. nolazep

[​IMG]
    It's a distinct possibility.

56GoldTop and displayname like this.
  12. missan

missan Forum Resident

Depend on the usage, but it´s very likely IMO. Many used 1200 need a new arm.

displayname, LarryP and punkmusick like this.
  13. Octavian

Well that’s unfortunate, but I should have seen this coming. Guess I’ll have to put a new one on order. Thanks for the help guys

14. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I'd open it up and have a look first, it could be an easy fix. The arm isn't too complicated.

If it's shot, I could probably dig around for the arm I took off my M5G and sell you that, it has the KAB damper installed. I bought it new, it's never been used for anything but hi-fi.

BDC, Nephrodoc, displayname and 2 others like this.
  15. Octavian

Well that's nice of you, thanks! I'll take a look tonight

displayname likes this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I can’t see bad bearings giving you that kind of resistance. Getting that height adjustment can be a real pain if it’s frozen. I had to make a main strap wrench to get Mine freed. Check those wires! But if worse comes to worse the arms aren’t too expensive.

17. Octavian

Yeah my height adjustment is certainly locked up right now. Hopefully loosening that and taking apart the arm will make this other problem I have more apparent. If not, it’s just a couple more steps to replace the arm.

18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Stuck VTA adjuster is an easy fix. To unseize the height adjustment ring, spray Servisol super 10 switch cleaner around the top of the ring and wiggle it back & forth using thumb and forefinger, it sometimes takes a bit of time and elbow grease and a good few sprays of the switch cleaner but generally will free up. No need to open the table up.

GetHappy!! and Mugrug12 like this.
  19. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

20. Octavian

Thanks, I would do this if it wasn’t for the other problem I’m having which seems to require me to open it up

21. Octavian

It doesn’t seem to be bent

Will definitely give this a try tonight, thanks!

22. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

The arm looks pretty messed up, and new ones are not that cheap these days. The helicoild VTA adjuster can be easily freed up sometimes and sometimes the arm has to come apart with heat applied
    to get it unstuck, The brass threaded ring rotates on the aluminum threads and the grease eventually hardens and the brass tarnishes and turns green. The old grease should be removed and new helicoild lube applied. I have one of these that no amount of heat or solvents and muscle will free up, but that is rare.
    I would completely disassemble and replace any parts needed so the arm works like it should, send it to Kevin (KAB) or someone that has experience and parts to repair it properly.

23. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Here's the 1200MK2 Operation Manual, and the Service Manual, and the Service Manual Supplement for the "A" version (look on your back sticker to see if it says "1200MK2-A"). These files did NOT come from VE.

technics-sl-1200mk2.zip (6.23MB) - SendSpace.com

roger87 likes this.
  24. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

for the stuck height adjustment, the grease just hardens a bit when it sits for a long time. i use day wife hairdryer, on low, and slowly worked it back and forth, until i could turn it, and once it broke free, i sat down and raised & lowered for a good 30X+, while still using some heat. DO NOT use high heat and let it blow on the area and get too h to, damage will occur. just work with a hair dryer, and keep it warn, until she breaks free.

for the tonearm issue, not sure, maybe the black arm lift thingy is stuck in t he up position,???....

25. Octavian

So new tonearm came in, decided to finally take it apart. Turns out I guess I do need a new tone arm because nothing seems to be inherently wrong with this one.

Cleaned off all the old grease and I'll be adding some new grease to make it much better.

I have a new problem that might not be a problem. When I was taking it apart, I realized that the RCA cables were aftermarket. After getting into the tonearm assembly, I noticed some amateurish soldering, with some burn marks on the circuit board.

[​IMG]

What I'm wondering is will this still work? According to the ebay seller the turntable worked before shipping off (which theoretically it should, even with all the problems it had).

If it will work fine I'll keep it, but if not, it seems I can order a new one online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.