New Janelle Monáe album 'Dirty Computer' (Release date April 27)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Feb 16, 2018.

1. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I felt that the choice of 'Jane' as the name of the character in the emotion movie was another allusion to Metropolis for that exact reason. Other than that, I don't see a connection. It's part of why I thought that the whole movie had an undertone of undoing the Cyndi Mayweather persona. And it may be that it does that to some extent. Hopefully, not forever.

2. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Got tix for the Tampa show in July - yeah! Really looking forward to it, although it's in a SRO venue which no doubt will be packed to the gills. Thankfully it's on a Thursday night, so hopefully the weekend knucklehead crowd that overruns this venue sometimes will not be a factor.

Anyway, along with my tickets I got a free download of the new album which I can share with a couple friends. I already have the regular CD, of course, so I chose to download the Clean Version. (Now I can play it with my daughter in the car)

One of the extra downloads is accounted for, but the other is not. If anyone else who has the "standard" version wants a copy of the Clean one - PM me your email address along with a photo of your CD and something with today's date (from a newspaper, your phone/computer, whatever). First response gets it!

3. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

And let’s not forget Can’t Live Without Your Love. :love:

LivingForever likes this.
  4. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

I don't know, I think the whole album is pretty fantastic. Such a summer album: sex, funk, soul. First half is a bit more upbeat, but Americans is a killer closer, IMO. Can't wait for it to come out on vinyl. Also can't wait to see her here in DC in July.

LivingForever, Yost, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Did they already send you the link?

I'm supposed to get the free album too for my DC ticket purchase, but I've received no link!

6. Jack_Straw

Yeah, I got the link yesterday (the day after I bought the tickets). Weird thing is, there was never any mention of it during the ticket buying process, so I wasn't expecting it at all & was pleasantly surprised to get it. I was even thinking about buying the "clean" version (which I've never done before), but the only place that listed it online was WalMart, and I avoid that place like The Plague.

I almost missed the email, and the subject didn't say anything about a download. It was: " IMPORTANT: Your Janelle Monae Ticket Order ", and the body of the email was:

You may want to check your email again or your spam folder, or follow up with TM if they haven't sent it in a day or 2.

7. Oatsdad

Thanks - maybe it's in the email and I missed it!

I bought through Ticketfly so their redemption system might be different! :shrug:

8. Jack_Straw

The download has been claimed. By the way, it's a 256kbps MP3 CBR. Not ideal, but it could be worse, I suppose.

Some interesting findings when I ran the DR meter and uploaded the results from my CD and the download:

1) The CD (regular version) seems to be more dynamic than the HDTracks version on a few tracks

CD: Album details - Dynamic Range Database

HDTracks: Album details - Dynamic Range Database

2) The MP3 of the clean version is pretty close to the HDTracks version, with 1 track being more dynamic and 1 track less dynamic

Clean version MP3: Album details - Dynamic Range Database

HDTracks: Album details - Dynamic Range Database

9. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I've seen these kind of differences in DR between Redbook and Hi-res from time to time and I wonder if it really means anything. I really doubt that they indicate a difference in mastering, but rather are a byproduct of the downsampling and/or are a result of the DR tool working somewhat differently with different resolutions.

10. Jack_Straw

Fair point. I know what you mean, and I tend to disregard the "peak" data, but a 2 dB difference in RMS seems pretty substantial.

I'll open them up in the DAW later and see if there's really much difference in the waveforms, and maybe run the RMS stats from there & see how they compare.

wolfram likes this.
  11. wolfram

Wait, what? There's a clean version? o_O

12. Oatsdad

I rechecked my original order confirmation - no mention of the download there.

Also no follow-up email from ticketfly.com or anyone else about the download! :(

13. Brandon Benwell

Brandon Benwell Ready An' Willin'

Any news on this album seeing a vinyl release?

14. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

If she's looking for more commercial appeal, that's one way to go for it.

On "Make Me Feel" for example, there's no way the chorus is getting played on the radio or other similar outlets.

In the clean version, it's been changed to:
    "So good, so good, so good, so real"

15. wolfram

It's just so different over here. I've heard "Make Me Feel" on the radio a couple of times now, but without any "cleaning" of our favourite Dirty Computer. It just seems weird after she went so far with this album, that she would do a clean version as well. What happened to " I just wanna break the rules"?

16. Yost

Dutch radio also plays the explicit version of Make Me Feel and the Dutch Apple Music service only streams the explicit version. No worries.

wolfram likes this.
  17. Yost

Funny fact is that I really think the album “snaps into place” with Don’t Judge Me. It extremely resonates with me on a lyrical and musical level. And I like the contrast with the track before it, I Like That, where she seems to express that she doesn’t care what others think. While in Don’t Judge Me the insecurity we all feel seems to surface.

But probably another factor why I like it is because it’s the most dynamic track on the album. A “whopping” DR10 in a swamp of low DRs…

18. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I bought concert tickets, so I got a free download of 320 mp3s of the album. It gave me a choice of dirty or clean, and since I'd already paid for the dirty, I downloaded the clean, just to have it. Nice to have "Make Me Feel" especially without the f-bombs, although I probably won't turn to it very often!

19. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Any word on the vinyl release date? I can't find anything online. This is a fantastic album.

Moray likes this.
  20. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Amazon UK put a listing up for the vinyl in the last few days, but no release date yet.

rischa and Yost like this.
  21. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Still playing this album a lot. For sure in for a good vinyl pressing.

rischa likes this.
  22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Her tour starts in Seattle on Monday and I'm seeing Vancouver the next night.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    rischa likes this.
  23. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I, too, am surprised that there has been no word on vinyl for this.

24. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

nmesen and Yost like this.
  25. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

This album is nowhere near long enough to warrant 2 LPs.