Turntable Recommendations Needed!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dehost00, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dehost00

dehost00 Active Member Thread Starter

Hello! I seem to have outgrown my AT-LP60 (which I've had for a year), and am looking to replace it. I'm using the phono stage from a Pioneer SX-990, whose pre-out is going into my amplifier (a Yamaha RX-V 381). My speakers are Klipsch RF-62 II towers. I have seen boatloads of information on this website and others like it. I was hoping somebody could recommend something. I've been especially attracted to the Rega Planar 1, U-turn Orbit Custom, Music Hall MMF-2.2, or the Denon DP-300F. I am, of course, open to suggestion, but I'd like not to spend more than $475 (the price of the Planar). Thanks!

displayname likes this.
  2. dehost00

Also, I'd like to mention, feel free to ask me anything regarding my reasons for what I've listed or anything else

3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Music Hall 2.2 with a Project Speed Box S would be my recommendation. Speed Box doesn't work with 2.3.

Zatoichi likes this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

JVC QL-A5. Two clean good deals are on ebay. One is starting bid at $25 with what appears having a AT-331e cartridge that is better than more common AT-95e and other offer is BIN at $160, but no cartridge. The JVC has great specs & IMO perform as well or better than Technics SL-1200 series TT at a fraction of cost. The tone arm is high quality & these TTs are very reliable. For some reason these are very good sounding TTs.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    nosliw likes this.
  6. Zatoichi

Zatoichi Forum Resident

For the price point, its hard to beat the MH 2.2 .. Adjustable VTA & acrylic platter upgrade made the choice easy.
    I tried a Project Speed Box S and could not get it to work. It was an Amazon purchase so I returned it right away. Maybe it was a bad one. Never tried another. MH has one but its expensive.

7. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Just to say there is now a new Rega Planar 1 Plus with built in phono stage, in case you are interested. I think the phono stage is based on the Rega Fono Mini, which normally sells separately.

8. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

I have had a Music Hall MMF 2.2 for more than five years. I recently upgraded, but decided to keep this excellent turntable in my system to play 45s. Great entry level turntable. If you don't upgrade the platter, I found a cork/rubber mat controlled the brightness.

SpeedMorris likes this.
  9. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

For something brand new, I'd look into a custom U-Turn Orbit with an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge.

PhilBiker, Quidjay and H8SLKC like this.
  10. rhing

rhing Forum Resident

As long as you can stomach the professional DJ looks, the Denon DJ VL12 Prime is a winner.

You don’t have to purchase it through Zu Audio (Denon VL12 Prime ), but their description is spot-on.

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Check out Vinyl Renaissance in Overland Park. Last I knew, they carried Music Hall and Rega. They also repair vintage equipment and might offer some valuable insight on possible used options.

For maximum performance for $475, I think it'd be tough to beat a used Pioneer PLX 1000, if you can find a clean audiophile-owned example.

displayname, H8SLKC and punkmusick like this.
  12. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

Yea, one could do a lot worse than jumping on this one for $499 with 2MRed from a reputable dealer, maybe upgrade the stylus and be done for quite a while... Pioneer PLX1000 - Audio Asylum Trader

13. dehost00

Thanks for the feedback. I actually am trying to avoid buying used (especially online) because of a couple bad experiences. I reckon something new would be reliable and a warranty would be great

displayname likes this.
  14. dehost00

I've been pouring over the options on the U-Turn, and have even spoken to one of the owners. The blue is very attractive, but with the other stuff I'd put on there, it brings the price up higher than I'd like.

displayname likes this.
  15. dehost00

You know, I was there the day before I started this thread. I love it there, and a lot of their vintage gear is a good price for me. Unfortunately they don't carry any planar 1s. I have a hard time trying to compare vintage to new, I always lean towards new in my head

H8SLKC and Helom like this.
  16. dehost00

I am quite the fan of Pioneer. I know their old stuff could be top notch, but what makes the PLX-1000 better than an AT-LP120 or something? I don't know a whole lot about DJ turntables

H8SLKC likes this.
  17. dehost00

Did you have the opportunity to compare it to other tables? The 2.2 certainly does look appealing, although the part of me that thinks that price=quality hasn't gone away. A lot of people say that the Rega is top-of-the-line

18. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

At the time, I compared it to the RP-1, and when I recently purchased a better Pro-Ject, it went head-to-head with the more expensive P6. In both cases, I felt the Rega was lacking well-defined bass response and wasn't impressed with the design. I like adjustable VTA and don't want a turntable that needs upgrades out of the box. YMMV.

SpeedMorris likes this.
  19. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Except for the ability to play 78RPM, owners of both seem to think the Pioneer is superior in every other aspects. I recommend you read the most recent posts in that huge PLX-1000 thread, lots of insights and experiences there.

displayname and H8SLKC like this.
  20. Helom

Helom Forum member

The PLX is in a completely different league, from both the AT120 and the
    entry-level Regas/Music Halls/Pro-Jects. It's quite obvious both in build and sound quality. It's more competitive with the $1500 price class IMO...maybe even the $2K range. I preferred it to a VPI Classic, but that particular VPI had a couple issues that might have just been QC related.

The PLX makes the AT and Music Hall feel almost like toys.

21. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I own a U-Turn Orbit Walnut w/2m blue (not mounted at this time, but that's another story) and it's a really great turntable that has proven a winner to me. It's a machine best set-up and left alone though. It's not adjustable in VTA nor anti-skate. Still though, I love it.

In consideration of your observations above, I'd agree with those recommending the PLX-1000. Great price, available used, easily swappable head shell, DD stability; if I were in the market for a TT right now it would be one I'd look at very carefully.

punkmusick likes this.
  22. dehost00

Thanks for the feedback. I believe I read a thread that you started (or posted on) about your U-Turn. I hadn't really considered a DJ turntable for casual listening

23. dehost00

So it's just as good for home listening as pro use?

24. llama

llama Forum Resident

I own both a dp300f and an orbit custom with acrylic platter and 2m red. The Denon has an at95 on it and a spare shell with the stock cart. The Denon is a competent fully auto table. It runs a little fast out of the box but can be adjusted. You can hear the motor run very quietly when the arm is up and the platter engaged. It disappears when you play music. I’ve had it a year and a half and I like it.

The orbit is a much better turntable. Motor is silent silent. Speed is perfect out of the box. It gives more detail and is an amazing value. Dollar for dollar fidelity wise it will be hard to beat. I chose it over a project carbon esprit and a Rega Planar 2.

H8SLKC likes this.
  25. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I don't know about pro use but it's totally satisfying for home listening.

H8SLKC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.