Jon Bon Jovi's HOF acceptance speech

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

....possibly *the* most beautifully executed example of pomposity and self-importance I've ever seen from a Rock musician. I'm only posting this because much as their music basically means nothing to me, I understand it's appeal and why this band became big as it did. All well and good. But I simply cannot wrap myself around the perceived "niceness" and "good will" of this individual and I've felt this way about him for a very long time. I *want* to like him but something just doesn't ring true. Is it just me:hide:??

2. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I cant even say this guy is overrated. Average at best. They’re running out of people who actually deserve to be inducted into the HOF. Saw some parts of the show. Thought he sounded fair. Thought the Moody Blues sounded good. Cars sounded horrible. Ocasek sounded terrible. Can this guy even sing anymore or could he ever sing?

krock2009, Coricama, DrBeatle and 3 others like this.
  3. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Here we go another Bon Jovi bashing thread...if this was about the Beetles it'd be closed down but I'm sure this will drag on until all the haters hate.

4. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I've never been a Bon Jovi fan. Their particular brand of hair band arena rock never connected with me at all.

However...

I totally enjoyed their HOF induction, speeches and performance. Howard Stern was a riot, and perfectly set the table. I thought the band was truly in awe of what was happening to them, and their comments were full of affection, humor, and respect of the honor. And then they flawlessly performed an exciting set like a well-oiled machine.

I'm not running out to buy their stuff, there's no great epiphany. But I was totally sucked into the joy they oozed on stage.

5. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

This is literally what I thought when I first opened the thread, another disguised BJ hate thread :rolleyes:

As far as running out out of people deserving of being inducted, that's pretty ridiculous. I think Bon Jovi is great, but for starters Judas Priest deserved induction over them and several of the other inductees. Last I checked, Thin Lizzy and Iron Maiden weren't in either. Instead they wanna induct all these pop artists and rappers that have nothing to do with rock.

6. DK Pete

The Cars were incredibly robotic; but as i recall, they weren't much different in their "heyday". Ocasek talks the songs more than sings; I think they're a perfect example of a band whose magic (no pun intended) is strictly studio-oriented. I thought Bon Jovi performed quite well; my issue if you want to call it that is with the bands' leader as an individual (or at least, the way he comes across to me).

7. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Did Bon Jovi release ANYTHING HOF-worthy after New Jersey?

supernaut and beansandcornbrea like this.
  8. DK Pete

While I'm not a BJ fan even remotely, I feel they deserve to be in there for what it's worth. But "Rock" is used more as an "umbrella" term than for a specific genre. Many of the artists in there are as much 'Pop" as they are "Rock"..and maybe more so the former. It becomes very difficult when you start dealing with specific categories.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  9. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I'm no fan of Bon Jovi music. I enjoyed all of the speeches by the band. Congrats to them.

Gethan Wall, paradox55, scobb and 2 others like this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Howard Stern was a blast, I’ll say that.

poe_man, SirMarc and forthlin like this.
  11. Zoot Marimba

I love the Cars dearly, but yeah, not a great live band

longdist01 likes this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

...and imagine if they'd been inducted when they were younger and Ray Thomas was still alive/healthy. But we get Bon Bon Jovi entering straight away.
    As for the speech, you couldn't pay me to watch.

Blue Note and JoeF. like this.
  13. Zoot Marimba

The line defintely gets blurry for sure.

In addition to different hard rock and heavy metal, there’s a lot of underground music like Captain Beefheart, Can, 80s alternative; I can also point to Kraftwerk as a notable omission, and there’s T.Rex as well

14. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

It’s Beatles to you good sir! :winkgrin:

15. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

I think the true live performer in the band was Ben Orr. Sad that he passed so young, but he leaves a huge hole on stage.

16. Zoot Marimba

To be fair, they waited since about 2009 and this was their second nomination.

Then again, the Moody’s waited roughly twenty years.

longdist01 and zen like this.
  17. Zoot Marimba

Yeah, defintely a great presence. And yes, his absence was felt for sure.

18. auto

auto Forum Resident

Has anyone explained why Radiohead wasn’t inducted? If ever there seemed a slam dunk, despite the band’s ambivalence.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  19. Zoot Marimba

I would guess the chances of no performance might have something to do with it? I don’t know; I’m not a Radiohead fan, but they are more than deserving by any reasonable standard

gregorya and Crimson jon like this.
  20. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Yeah, Keep the Faith.

21. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I’m not bashing Bon Jovi but I always thought it was music that only appealed to women.

22. Zoot Marimba

It’s music for people who don’t care about music.

23. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

That's pretty much it for the so called "rock & roll hall of fame" For the most part the museum is music for people who don't care about music.

24. sami

sami Mono still rules

Housewives when they aren't watching The View, and teenage girls.

25. DK Pete

When the debut album had just come out and I had yet to buy it, I actually thought Orr's vocals *were* Ocasek but with a slightly different singing style. It sounds very odd to say since one's singing voice was far more melodic than the others' but in a couple of strange ways they sounded similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.