FX's "Legion"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vince, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I enjoyed seeing Aubrey Plaza doing the talk-show rounds this week on Seth Meyers and Colbert.

It's pretty funny when she tries to explain the premise of the show in a few sentences.
    As a sci-fi/Comic-con geek, I know Seth gets it (as best it can be gotten), but Colbert and most audience members be like o_O

2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

And nobody brings the awkward like Aubrey.

Kyhl, marmalade166 and jpelg like this.
  3. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Enjoyed what I've seen so far and the SF aspects of. Sort of reminds me of the mysterious nature of Lost--leading but not totally answering all details. Hope it can continue and even perhaps get a bit more comprehensible.

vince likes this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I thought she did a great job of putting it in a thumbnail on Seth.

jpelg likes this.
  5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

Once again... I fell asleep...
    just can't stay up for it....
    I'll try again, once it's put up 'On Demand'.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Watched the first episode over the last couple of nights. Love the aesthetic of it. I basically look at it and take it in - really have no idea what’s happening. I just see it as a visual art piece.

7. vince

So, I watched it this morning, and, as the Tuvan throat singing was going on, the wife walked in, and asked, "What's this?". I said"Legion". She said, in a snarky tone, "Oh, they just think they're SO COOL, don't they? And, you just fall for it, don't you?"
    I had to laugh.....and, share that with all of you.

Kyhl likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm really liking the sinister Aubrey puts into her character. For a Marvel funnybook-based series, this one is a true stealth paranoia-machine.

9. vince

So....
    while THIS episode had an aroma of 'time-killer' to it, I liked how the guy with the held-burnt' face gave us all a quick 'the-plot-so-far' talk as he was walking away, then, the 'opening-titles' at the 55 minute mark!
    ...and the RETURN OF AUBRY into the REAL WORLD!

Kyhl likes this.
  10. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

An aroma? :laugh: It was TWD-ish.

For the first time I found myself hitting the FFW button to speed things along. It was a slog of Groundhog's Day redo. At least the music was good and used to great effect.
    If they were trying to get the audience to try to guess the exit strategy, I failed. I guessed that it was David's maze and he was stuck in his maze thinking it was Syd's maze. Never getting out until he figured that out. Honestly, I think that would have been a better story. His maze would have been his desire to understand Syd.

jpelg and vince like this.
  11. vince

I think the line, "Bigger than Jesus." will come back into play.....

Kyhl likes this.
  12. vince

"Presumedly, on "Legion"...."
    funny.

notesofachord and marmalade166 like this.
  13. vince

Oops!...
    It was "Apparently.... on "Legion"."
    I was wrong..

14. vince

So..... that was....well...
    I'm kinda hoping all those other 'Davids'' make a cameo or two in future episodes... but, something tells me that was just a 'one-episode' thing. Pity....I'd like to see that CGI mouse do more Bryan Ferry songs!

15. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I've been a bit disappointed in this season to date because I don't feel like the show has seen much character development. In season one I felt like I was learning about David and the rest of the cast just as he was learning. This season I don't feel like I've learned much of anything about any of them, other than Syd's childhood.

I thought this week's episode might show a sign of development if it was about the Shadow King's suggestion leading David to build multiple realities for himself to watch unfold and learn from. At the end of the episode, I don't know what the point was.

16. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

It seemed to be a recap episode of David's story for those who didn't see season 1.
    But in that almost undecipherable Legion way.

Kyhl likes this.
  17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I stopped watching, Seems like it's fizzling out. I'll be surprised if it's renewed.

18. vince

19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

LOL at folks not getting what the "point" is. This show is obviously not for you. There is plenty of other stuff to watch. Me? I'll keep basking in its surrealistic majesty.

Canadacrowe, Lonson and marmalade166 like this.
  20. notesofachord

I mean, in what other show will you get: a daydream of a rodent dancing to Bryan Ferry, an homage to A Clockwork Orange, and a man getting "folded" to death in the same episode? Bizarre and yet wonderful stuff.

Lonson, marmalade166 and vince like this.
  21. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I don't know about that. There was one option that worked as a prequel. The rest of the alternate realities were all different outcomes for David's possible lives.

The more time that has gone by the more I do think it was David running through multiple realities bases on the Shadow King's suggestion that reality is what he makes of it.

Veltri likes this.
  22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Yeah, well you can keep giggling from up high at us poor folk who don't 'get it'. But it's really not a question of whether or not I do or don't get it, it's more about whether I want to bother doing so. Obviously I don't, so bask away brother!;)

notesofachord likes this.
  23. notesofachord

The point that I was trying to make is that this is not, IMO, a show where following the plot or the progression of the story is the reason to watch. Yeah, sure, there's a storyline. An all powerful mutant is trying to regain his body and this could mean the end of humanity as we know it. Will David, obeying the plea of his "in the future" girlfriend, destroy the world by helping the Shadow King? Hmm, the suspense is killing me. For me, at least, I don't tune in to find out "what happens next". I watch it to experience its unique, surreal, style and am entertained by its strange twists and nonsensical moments. I actually enjoy being confused, amused, or perplexed by its weirdness. For others, this stuff that I enjoy will be annoying and be a turn-off. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not superior to others because I like it and they don't. It's simply a matter of taste. YMMV.

However, when something like this is said:

You do realize that that's just your opinion, right? So, because you don't like it and think it's bad - obviously, that must be the opinion of most folks. Hmm...

Then again, you're probably right. Weird doesn't sell as good as as less weird. Makes sense.

Lonson likes this.
  24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

As far as opinions go, when discussing a show, isn't every thing written on ANY thread basically the opinion of the person writing it? Pretty much an obvious basic reality. And as far as me thinking a show won't be renewed because I don't like it, well, I'd have to be an idiot to think something as stupid as that! No, the reason I don't think it's going to be renewed is because I think it's a bad show. Of course, that's only my opinion!;)

Scott222C likes this.
  25. vince

I've written before, my wife doesn't like the way the show 'patronizes' to me; someone who likes 'weird-for-weird's-sake'...
    and, I admit, she's got a point...
    but....I always give someone who TRIES to make something a little 'off-center' a pass...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.