20 years ago tonight, “Seinfeld” aired “The Finale.”

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

25 years ago was also the series finale of Cheers.

jason88cubs, Matthew Tate and 905 like this.
  2. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Not until the 20th.

3. MikaelaArsenault

Of May?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. AKA

Yes.

5. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

This is the pivotal scene that leads to the crux of the episode, which also featured comedian John Pinette ( a very funny guy in his own right).

6. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I didn't have an issue with the trial or punishment angles; I just thought the episode wasn't very funny.

7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

My sentiments exactly.

Bringing back a ton of the old characters was merely window-dressing and added almost nothing to the episode from a comedic standpoint.

For a show like that (which I still say is the funniest sitcom ever), it is hard to imagine what an alternate fitting ending would have been, but I just wish the last episode had been funny. However, the last season itself was kind of spotty (some great episodes, but some weak ones as well). Had they ended it the show when the creative spark was like it was from Seasons 4-7 (when nearly every episode hit it out of the park), I have no doubt that it would have been hilarious.

EVOLVIST and troggy like this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Unquestionably the worst show in the entire run of Seinfeld. Stupid and contrived and (worst of all) not particularly funny.

Russ_B66 and Dudley Morris like this.
  9. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Last episode should have been the four of them sitting in Jerry’s apartment trying to decide where to go for dinner.

10. MikaelaArsenault

Maybe I’ll create a thread for it.

905 and AKA like this.
  11. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Liked Seinfeld, hated Friends.

12. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Watching the finale and yes it's still not funny but really the only way to bring all the old characters back.
    The clip show before is fantastic though,

13. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Least funny Seinfeld episode. I’m glad Larry David had ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ to show that he hadn’t lost hus touch.

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Old post from six years back:

AKA likes this.
  15. AKA

I hated the episode when it originally aired, but over time I’ve grown to appreciate it more. It isn’t great by any means, and they could have done the same episode without the flashbacks, but I’m satisfied with ending it with the gang in the slammer.

No, really, I am. A dark ending for an often dark show.

16. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Wow I was 12 years old watching it with my parents and I remember it well. One of the reasons the finale was disliked was because of the clips. Before the finale they had already done an hour long clip show that reminisced over the last 9 seasons. That was perfect way to lead up to the finale but when the finale came and half the court room scene were old clips, it just seemed a little lazy. Still the best comedic show of all time in my opinion.
    Seriously something like this would have been a great way to go out. Just a simple plot that went nowhere. Would have been a great ending to a show about nothing.

EdgardV and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

How can it be funny? It’s a downer idea.

18. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I actually think the 2nd last episode was far worse (The Puerto Rican Day).

19. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Being a Brit, I didn’t see it till a couple of years later and I thought it was the perfect end for the programme.

Suncola, ianuaditis and thestereofan like this.
  20. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I only wish they had made this a full length episode. It is what, 5 minutes?

21. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

There’s a show, that’s a show.

BNell, j_rocker, vinnie and 3 others like this.
  22. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yeah, I was certainly disappointed at the time, but I think the final episode has aged pretty well.

23. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I rewatched it last week when it was shown in two parts on my local station. The whole thing just seemed off to me, like somebody’s fan fiction attempt at writing a Seinfeld conclusion. The scene where the group was standing by and watching while the victim was being mugged — there’s a way to do such a scene I’m sure, but this wasn’t it. It had none of the cleverness and humor that typically made their offbeat behavior palatable. And the cop who explained the whole ‘Good Samaritan Law’ - It just felt shoehorned in there, again, with no humor. ‘Here’s what you need to know to understand the premise of this story.’
    There were just lots of things that didn’t click. Just having old characters entering a courtroom, that’s not funny in itself. Maybe it reminded you of previous shows that were funny, but just having the Soup Nazi make an entrance, that’s not enough.
    Having the whole thing take place outside of their New York home base didn’t help things either.
    I agree with another poster, Jerry’s standup routine in the prison was pretty good, probably the high point of this one.

troggy, Jack Lord and GLENN like this.
  24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I was 16 when it aired. it didn't seem like a finale to me. just seemed like a regular episode

25. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I never bought the idea that the series was just about people being selfish, which is why I always had a problem with the last episode, not to mention the one where Susan died. Since when did these characters all react to something the same way? Kramer, for instance, was often passionate about his causes, whether it was saving an old movie theater or mentoring a beauty contestant, so it's hard to believe that he would just stand around making bad jokes while someone was being mugged. Don't get me wrong, he probably would have somehow made the situation even worse, but at least it might have been funnier.

troggy, Russ_B66, vinnie and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.