SH Spotlight Pressing and mastering quality of Creedence Clearwater Revival albums*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexbunardzic, Jun 5, 2017.

1. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

I just picked up a new copy of their 2LP "Chronicle" greatest hits set today...it's obviously a repressing, but there is absolutely ZERO information about the mastering, the date of the pressing, etc. on the jacket, sleeves, or shrink-wrap.

In fact, there's actually a typo on the blue Fantasy record labels, as printed along bottom edge of the labels it reads: "1876 Fantasy Records"...I know the original release came out in 1976, but does anyone know when this repressing may have come out, and was it remastered?

2. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

3. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Nope.Your pressings are standard CCR sounding vinyl

Yes Bayou Country is the best it is also the band members favorite

With the debut @ #2 but I disagree about Cosmos Factory

Remember that Fogerty was going for the Sun Sound on Green River-Cosmos Factory

Which is the reason as you say the wimpy sound when compared to the first 2 LPs

Look at the other post Bayou LPs in that light and you will probably grow to love them also

4. I don't remember Chronicle on vinyl being released remastered. I know HDTracks has it "newly remastered" but no specifics.

5. Turn the bass up some and those albums are great.

samthesham likes this.
  6. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Fortunate Son, or Run Through The Jungle (for example) are wimpy?

arisinwind likes this.
  7. samthesham

That's E="arisinwind, post: 18701616, member: 28678"]Turn the bass up some and those albums are great.[/QUOTE]
    Thats what equalizer are for

Yes those first 5 CCR are some of rocks greatest LPs with Pendelum just a shade below

Been listening 50 yrs and CCR never gets old on original vinyl dialed to 9

Kim Olesen likes this.
  8. samthesham

E="douglas mcclenaghan, post: 18703586, member: 53062"]Fortunate Son, or Run Through The Jungle (for example) are wimpy?[/QUOTE]
    You're asking the wrong person

I never said that

I been listening to CCR for 50 yrs and they never sounded wimpy to me & my generation

CCR was one of the hardest rocking radio friendly bands of the 60s

Kim Olesen likes this.
  9. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

I just found this thread and it sent me to the archives to see what I have. From the git go on the S/T album I am lost in the weeds with labels and matrix #'s. From what I can gather the blue Fantasy labels are the earlier pressings. I have what I think is a later ( but not too much later) copy. The label is a more modern brown with orange logo with "Fantasy Records Berkeley California" on the bottom of the label. Matrix #'s F 8382 A-1-T1 D and F 8382 B-1-T1 D. I can't find anything close to those #'s anywhere on Discogs or any mention of a brown label. Good chance I missed something as there are many F 8382 versions. Maybe a Berkeley boot? Any help or direction would be appreciated.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm not an audiophile, but i enjoy the sacd box set

Instant Karma and DK Pete like this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If you enjoy it, your viewpoint is as valid, 150%, as any so-called, "audiophile's".:righton:

12. mark winstanley

I just like to qualify that i dont pretend to have audio engineer credentials. I used to come close, but age takes its toll.

DK Pete likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The entire point of this forum is (among other things) to find the best sounding versions of your favorite music. On the other hand, if doing that is going to cost many hundreds of dollars, find something cheap and just enjoy the tunes. It's a hobby, should be fun and rewarding.

14. mark winstanley

Nicely stated

15. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

I found it buried in the unknown listings @ Discogs. No date or location of pressing. Anyone know if Fantasy ever pressed anything in Berkeley?

16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The AP reissues have been one of the great audiophile values, hands down. I've got the first five albums — the S/T, Bayou, and Green River on vinyl, Willie and the Poor Boys and Cosmo's Factory on SACD. In a world where these versions exist listening to a wonky old pressing is pure masochism.

17. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Anyone have a 2008 Fantasy LP of Bayou Country? If so, do you recommend?

18. J.Hammershaug

J.Hammershaug Forum Resident

Yesterday I was digging in my brother’s «maybe-for-sale-collection» in the basement at our parents home. I grabbed a few records and took’em with me for a listen.

After the usual matrix inspection, manual cleaning and a spin in my ultrasonic cleaner, I poured myself a glass of wine and turned on the Nottingham Spacedeck.

I started with a 1973 UK reissue of CCR s/t:

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Clearwater Revival

What a debut! Many years since last time I really listened to CCR, and first time ever on vinyl.
    Great songs and good sonics imho. Not harsh, not too bass heavy, maybe just a little bit flat sounding? It lacked the magic from a first/early pressing I think.

Has anyone compared this version to an early US? Is it worth getting an earlier pressing, or maybe a RM from AP?

19. samthesham

P

20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the rest of the albums will follow the debut and Bayou Country as individual re-issues a la the Abbey Road half speed mastering??

21. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Found this thread in the search - I just picked up a very glossy copy of Cosmo’s Factory with an orange Fantasy logo on a brown label, F-8402. What I’ve never seen before is the deadwax info, all handwritten

1- F 8402A 1A ~ ~ FML DT 4-76
    2- F 8402B 1A ~ ~ FML DT 4-76

Any ideas?

Sounds great.. not as good as my best blue Fantasy original on wax heavy enough to hurt someone.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, Steve and we know it's always about the music...: )

Stone Turntable likes this.
  23. durkn

durkn Well-Known Member

How’s the CCR Green River 2019 Europe reissue LP - half speed mastered at Abbey Road?

The AP has got to be better, right?

24. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Anybody that can tell me how much better the Bayou Country version of Analogue Productions (1/2 speed master) is then a good pressing of the original?

25. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Analogue Productions pressings of Creedence Clearwater Revival were not 1/2 speed mastered. The whole catalogue was 1/2 speed mastered at Abbey Road by Miles Showell in November 2018.

JG

marcb likes this.